Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation

Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation
Backstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body Foundation

3.3

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyurethane-35, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Undecyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, VP/VA Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, BHT, Tocopherol

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

This was a hard review to write because I truly believe some people will love this foundation. It was a bad fit for me because of the ingredients, but I also think those ingredients could be deal-breakers for many. That being said, onto the review ;).

When I got this foundation, I did something I NEVER do and slapped it on without reading the ingredients. Within seconds I felt my face start to become tight, itchy, and uncomfortably dry...which usually only means one thing: Bad alcohols (alcohol denat, sd Alcohol-40, benzyl alcohol, alcohol). .
I quickly checked the ingredients and confirmed my fear. Denatured alcohol is the 3rd ingredient. Cyclopentasiloxane is 1st, water 2nd.
I hurriedly took a makeup wipe to my face but left the foundation along my jawlines and chin, purely in the name of science. I also left the crude swatches on my arm to see how they wore (I had to use an oil-based cleansing wipe!).

My thoughts:
Dry skinned folks, those who are prone to dehydration, sensitive to Cyclopentasiloxane, and those who are sensitive to or prefer to avoid bad alcohols, stay farrrrrrrrrr away. This stuff is loaded.
In the 5 minutes it was on my whole face, it made me look like a roadmap and instantly parched my skin (which hasn’t been happening quite as easily as it used to, I finally repaired my lipid barrier). My expression lines looked like canyons and my fine lines, well, they weren’t fine with this stuff on them!

Application with a brush was a breeze and highly suggested. It blends easily as long as you work fairly quickly. Sephora #56 has been best so far, so I suspect the soon-to-launch Dior Backstage Full Coverage Brush will be great with this! Finger application gave a patchy, uneven finish, and the Beauty Blender didn’t work well because the foundation dries down too quickly and is waterproof.

The finish was a natural soft matte bordering on satin, but quickly started to look dry on my mature/dry skin.

Coverage is actually really versatile and really great. I found it to have more initial coverage than MUFE and MAC F&B, and coverage is definitely buildable to nearly full.

I am on the neutral end of NW15 and wear shade 1.5N. Shade 2.0N was very very close also. I definitely suggest getting matched at a counter if you can because these seem to darken a bit as they dry. Do not go by just looking at the bottles either...the frosted plastic makes them look darker in the bottle as well.

The packaging, while minimalistic, sleek, and fuss-free, is messy as heck. It’s a plastic bottle with a tip like that on MAC face and body, but for some reason this one starts flowing from the opening the second it is opened and it gets everywhere. I should note, this one is heavier plastic that the MAC, in case that matters.

Consistency is a bit runny but not super watery or thick either. Reminds me a lot of Dior Forever (original).

The biggest pro besides the wide shade range is: This foundation wears like iron, it truly is transfer proof and waterproof. I cleaned my house, went outside and worked in the flowerbeds in 90 degree heat/awful humidity, swept off my deck, sweated my butt off, changed my clothes, talked on the phone, etc. and it never budged from my jawline OR my arm after 10.5 hours. It took a good solid double cleanse to finally remove it completely. As I mentioned above, the shade range is also a big plus, there are 40 shades with more on the way!

The cost comes in at $40/1oz. which is low-ish for Dior, but high considering the ingredients, IMO.

It was a MONUMENTAL fail for me, but those folks who dig bases like YSL All Hours or can tolerate high concentrations of denatured alcohol/Cyclopentasiloxane, this is definitely one to try! It’s staying power makes me wish bad alcohols weren’t bad and didn’t make look like a wrinkly crypt keeper.

Alas, I know they’re marketing this as “hydrating” and “for all skin types”, but I STRONGLY disagree with these claims.
I would have rated higher because I think those people who are OK with the ingredients and think it’s other qualities sound good, may definitely want to give it a try. Just because I don’t love the ingredient list doesn’t make it unwearable for everyone. However, I just think Dior could’ve done better. A product with THIS much alcohol is certainly NOT suitable for all skin types.

A company like Dior has so many resources at their disposal...this could have been epic, but frankly it is very cheaply formulated. Some may argue the ingredients are necessary for the weartime, but other brands have launched F&B or waterproof foundations with much less harsh formulas.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to say I really love it so far. I am around NC20-25 right now (summer shade) and chose 2WO (2 warm olive). I got this shade as lately I have been mixing an olive mixer into my normal foundation and seem to get good results. This matches me ok but I do want to get matched when it reaches the stores. For now shade adjusters seem to be working for me as my skin tone changes a lot.

Comparing this to Mac Face & Body it has the same qualities as it starts off sheer, and is very buildable. But this is best applied with a brush as far as I can tell, where as Mac needs to be applied with your hands to gain coverage. Mac is more fluid. Dior is also so much easier to remove. They both have the same packaging though. Dior dries down very fast, so you have to apply quickly. Dior also has more shades. Mac breaks me out every time (even on first day) whereas I have no new visitors right now. Dior contain both alcohol and fragrance (stay away from this is you cannot tolerate either at all). Mac has no alcohol.

First layer was very sheer, but thankfully this builds like a dream to a solid medium. It covers my redness really well. I have normal skin right now (but can lean dry sometimes) but after hearing reports about the alcohol not doing people favours I was worried but it seems to be great as long as I moisturise and exfoliate well. The foundation looks natural all day, no caking or disappearing and feels comfortable all day without needing to retouch with powder (do not over powder if you don't have oily skin, or this will make it look drier than desired). Doesn't oxidise (on me personally), is transfer resistant, sweat resistant and wears all day without fading. It plays really nicely with my sunscreen and moisturiser too which is a bonus. There is fragrance but I have smelled stronger fragrance in other Dior foundations, and it does seem to dissipate on dry down. Another thing to add, shake the bottle VERY well before use, then bang on the table to force the air to the top of the bottle before opening. I do this and have not had a mess when using that others have noticed.

Update two weeks later: to my surprise I have experienced no additional dryness/sensitivity. I have been wearing this everyday since launch and my skin is doing so well! I do wonder if its due to my moisturiser and sunscreen, but since alcohol is so high on the list I did think maybe my skin wouldn't tolerate it. But, so far so good! I still love this foundation!

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, polyurethane-35, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, glycerin, silica, disteardimonium hectorite, sodium myristoyl glutamate, glyceryl undecyl dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, propylene carbonate, VP/VA copolymer, tetrasodium edta, parfum, aluminum hydroxide, linalool, limonene, citronellol, bht, tocopherol

I'm going to compare the Dior Backstage Face and Body with the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation in this review, mostly because the GA LS is my HG in terms of its finish and how well it photographs, but also because I feel like the hype around the Dior Face and Body being very 'skin-like' puts it in the same class of foundations as the GA LS (which looks almost hyper-real on my skin).

I got matched to the shade 2N in the Dior F&B. I used my fingers to apply the product, starting from the centre of my face, and spreading it out towards the edges, and then patting it in again on top with my fingers to get rid of any streaks. The application was super easy using my fingers, which is something this foundation has in common with the GA LS.

The finish of the foundation right upon application was quite gorgeous, very luminous without being ultra-dewy, and the finish remained pretty much the same after it had set on my face. I would say that the GA LS has a better finish than this foundation, though. It is more luminous, and makes your skin look genuinely healthy. The Dior F&B does that too, but not *as much*. It has a slightly more matte finish compared to the GA LS, and that's with a hydrating primer and moisturiser under it. It also did seem to have some pore-blurring qualities to it as well, which the GA LS does not, but I'm not the best person to report back on that because I don't have many visible pores. It is also most definitely very skin-like and didn't look like I have foundation on at all.

However, the Dior F&B took its sweet time to set, which surprised me because I'd read that you have to work fast with this foundation or it'll set and won't budge after. Mine was pretty tacky and movable after I had done my colour correcting under my eyes and started going in with my concealer on top. Which obviously meant that when I went in with my concealer (miniscule quantities of Tarte Shape, used with fingers again), entire patches of the Dior F&B started pulling off when I was trying to pat in the concealer on top! It was quite weird, but I was able to add some more foundation on top, wait for it to set, and then go in with my concealer with a brush this time and it didn't give me any problems. I've never run into this problem with my GA LS; I have layered several products over it with my fingers without it coming away from my face or moving around. Hey, but the good news is that the Dior F&B is definitely buildable! But then again, so is the GA LS...

So far, so okay. I powdered on top, did the rest of my makeup, set everything with a setting spray, and I was done. Overall, I saw that my face was looking a little more matte than I am used to with the GA LS, but it was still quite healthy-looking and luminous, and the rest of my products layered on top of the foundation without any problems once it had set.

However, once I started looking at my face in my magnifying mirror (I do that once I've finished my makeup, to catch any mistakes or whatever), I could definitely see that people with dry skin will perhaps not like this product. I take extremely good care of my skin, keep it exfoliated and moisturised, and my skin is more combination to normal than anything, but somehow this foundation found tiny dry bits on my face that I didn't even know I had and sort of clung to them, or started breaking apart around them. It wasn't obvious at all without a magnifying mirror, but it was a little weird still. I would say though that the GA LS is only slightly more forgiving in this regard, really, because it is also not very friendly towards dry bits on your face either.

On to how the foundation wore throughout the night. I live in the Middle East, it was 37 degrees Celsius out, and we were going to be partying in a club and getting all sweaty and gross. And yet, somehow, I only needed to blot my face ONCE during this entire time of walking around in very hot parking lots to get to the club, and dancing to at least 20 to 30 songs once inside. The foundation truly doesn't budge once it has set! Hallelujah! My oily T-zone was shine-free throughout the night! This is a huge deal because even the YSL All-Hours would break apart on my T-zone after partying. So definitely a thumbs up to the Dior for managing to do what multiple primers and foundations together have failed to do before. My GA LS would have dissolved and disappeared in this situation hours before, so the Dior F&B is definitely kicking ass in terms of longevity here.

A few things that I forgot to add before: the scent of the Dior F&B really bothered me at first. It was almost overwhelming, and I'm only very mildly sensitive to scents. It didn't irritate my skin, but it was definitely unnecessary and has the potential to irritate sensitive skins. The scent goes away after a while, but it's annoying while it lasts, especially if you're sensitive to that kind of stuff. The GA LS doesn't have an overwhelming scent, and doesn't irritate my skin as well, but both products have high quantities of alcohol in them, so if your skin can't tolerate that, keep far, far away from both of them.

Also, the Dior is properly cheap compared to the GA LS. And you get more product. And I know Wayne Goss said recently in one of his videos that that doesn't mean anything because you'll burn through it faster because of its sheer coverage, but I don't agree with that. I think it's pretty similar to the GA LS in terms of coverage, and one bottle of that lasts me a good year and a half.

Would I recommend this product? Sure. I do like it, I am happy I bought it, especially because of its longevity while it looks skin-like, but will it replace my LS? Nope. Not even by a mile. I'll probably end up mixing both to achieve the ultimate foundation for myself, but at the end of the day, even though I will repurchase this, I'm pretty sure I'll be back to using my LS as soon as the weather gets better just for its finish and how beautiful it ma

on 6/18/2018 11:10:00 AM

I really wanted to like the Dior BackStage Face and Body Foundation, as I see from other reviews so many others do.  If you wear this you will find that it applies easily and very nicely, looks like real skin, and lasts all day without starting to look greasy.  The shade range is also AMAZING!  They have forty different shades, which is amazing selection.  For many reasons I wanted to love this foundation.   The finish is medium coverage but since the formula is so thin it can be built up very quickly.  It  is a very liquid consistency.

For me, with dry and sensitive skin, I used this without reading the ingredient list like I always do to give each product a fair unbiased try.  The third day using this my skin started to get dry and flaky and started to become very sensitive after washing the foundation off.  Doing my skincare routine at night after the third day I could tell my skin was slightly burning and just irritated to the point where I couldn't use most of my normal products because my skin was so irritated

This is because the third ingredient in the Dior BackStage Face and Body Foundation is denatured alcohol.  Denatured alcohol in larger amounts causes free radical damage and even can cause cell death.  This is something that we should be trying to avoid if and when possible.  I wish DIOR would have used almost any other ingredient other than this.  To top this off this product also contains fragrance, another ingredient that can cause irritation.

**If you like the look and feel of this foundation I HIGHLY recommend you try a sample of the BareMinerals BarePro Foundation, I find the wear of both of these to be similar, except the BareMinerals formula does not contain denatured alcohol or fragrance.  My more detailed video review and swatch can be seen here:

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have Combo Skin with an extremely oily T-Zone with an Asian Olive complexion. I have the W3 and am about NW30-35.

Pros:
- It is a great natural looking foundation; my partner approves of it and saids it evens out my skin and makes it look so healthy (he knows nothing of makeup so if he loves my skin when I'm wearing this foundation then it's a thumbs up for me).
- Light buildable coverage - would not recommend for someone who wants full glam coverage.
- Sturdy packaging but because the foundation is so runny, you get foundation gunk outside the nozzle and will have to wipe it but very travel friendly.
- You get 50ml instead of the average 30ml, since I don't like full coverage, I only use 1 layer so this will last me a while.
- Gives you a satin/matte finish and feels quite silicone-y in texture when you apply it.
- Does not oxidse (I always go a shade lighter than my neck and adjust with bronzer, that way, you can never go wrong).
- Long wear, did not break up on my face although can settle in to smile lines.
- I got shiny (not sweaty) on my T-Zone (which is inevitable for me) but wasn't too bad, nothing powder can't fix.

Cons:
- It is stupidly expensive for a foundation.
- I do not recommend this for someone with sensitive skin; it has alcohol which can argivate the skin, numerous silicone based products which can clog up pores (Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone), it is very Fragence based (Phenoxyethanol, BHT & Other Perfume Frangrances) and numerous allergens (Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol).
- It has a strong Grandma's house mixed with artifical flowers smell when you put it on.
- Would not recommend this as an everyday foundation as I feel it will break me out, I will have to thoroughly wash this off every use.
- I would prep the skin quite well before use so that it doesn't exaggerate dry skin, enlarge pores and oil control.

Overall:
- I would repurchase but will only use it for special occasions as it's so beautiful on but so full of ingredients which is not good for regular use.
- If you are looking for affordable alternatives, I would go for Essence #insta perfect liquid makeup or the Nyx Total Control Drop Foundation.

on 6/4/2018 6:55:00 PM

I’ve only got it today and it’s a great foundation.

My all time favourite was Chanel Pro Lumiere , unfortunately since the horrid stretchy elements found their way into each foundation available , I’ve been struggling to find a good match. It’s almost like they all designed to be used with a tonne of primer. I can’t use powders - I can only get away with using only one product on my face. This foundation was a welcome change. It’s still full of the new ingredients but it works well.

I used it without any primer - I dabbed it on slightly then used a beauty blender. It has an amazing staying power - I went to the gym and it still looks amazing.

I have a fair skin with yellow undertones and 1W is just the perfect shade.

It doesn’t sit in lines (I’m 34) and covered imperfections nicely.

I usually prefer more dewy finish , however, I actually loved how natural it looks.

I think it’ll do a great job of lasting throughout the day.

I’ve used Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation before and liked it - albeit that one was too stretchy which accentuates lines.this one is similar but not as heavy which is a good thing.

My skin requires foundation changes every few months - my most recent was Armani Luminous Silk.

I think I’ll stick to this foundation for a while - like all stretchy polymer foundations it does accentuate lines when smiling - however it doesn’t sit in lines and does a great job around the nose and in tricky areas.

on 7/24/2018 11:38:00 PM

Love, Love, Love...

I watched the whole meghan- royal- wedding and insta went crazy when Daniel Martin let out the scoop that meghan wore Dior.. I told myself ima gonna get the whole backstage pass on the wedding makeup!!! woo hoo!! .. and I sure did when it launched recently!!! Meghan looked natural with all her freckles coming thru and was nice.

I was matched to 2W and it works like a dream on me. It virtually glided on my skin like butter. I have combo skin and this works well. I use my MAC stippling brush and just blend outwards . It gives you sheer to heavy coverage depending on how much you add. So it goes from sheer to heavy and doesnt look cakey!! Now that's a deal to me!! I've also use this on my decolletage and my skin looks even toned from face to shoulders .

The price is ok for a high end brand.. no issues there. It stayed a good 12 hours on me straight thru work and all nite partying .. im a happy camper. Smells like a scented perfume and nice, but I was not affected at all. No breakouts .. no allergies ..thank goodness !!!

Cons
The packaging. The rubberized bottle looks cheap for a brand like Dior.. Dior compromised on looks but certainly didnt compromise on the quality itself.

Recommend?
Highly ! Buy!!

on 1/23/2019 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I'm a 50 year old with very good skin however when I put this on my husband said I looked tired and all my lines were amplified.

Off it came and into the bin it went. Shame because the texture was nice and it wore well.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Giving this two stars because when first applied it was the most gorgeous finish I've ever seen. It evened out my complexion but still looked exactly like bare skin and it wasn't too matte or too dewy.

However, two hours later it had started separating around my entire face and oxidized. By the end of the day my face was covered in whiteheads and clogged pores. I resembled my early high school days before I took Accutane. So if you have normal skin that is not acne prone I recommend this, otherwise it's a total bust.

I'm torn on the packaging. On one hand I love how it holds more than a standard foundation but is still streamlined and takes up less space. On the other hand, because it is a squeeze tube and the formula is very thin the foundation would get these air bubbles that made it leak out if you shook it as directed.

on 7/11/2018 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is one of my go-to's. I wear it all the time overtop of tarte shape tape. I like that it sets pretty quickly, is matte and looks natural on my skin. The coverage is so-so, but I can get more coverage if I build it up.

The packaging is nice, but inside the cap it gets pretty messy and grubby looking over time. You get a lot too so that's nice.

Also, unlike most foundation, I can get a decent shade match out of this. If you are pale with a yellow undertone you may like this in W0, their lightest shade.