Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation

Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation
Backstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body Foundation

3.3

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyurethane-35, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Undecyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, VP/VA Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, BHT, Tocopherol

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

This was a hard review to write because I truly believe some people will love this foundation. It was a bad fit for me because of the ingredients, but I also think those ingredients could be deal-breakers for many. That being said, onto the review ;).

When I got this foundation, I did something I NEVER do and slapped it on without reading the ingredients. Within seconds I felt my face start to become tight, itchy, and uncomfortably dry...which usually only means one thing: Bad alcohols (alcohol denat, sd Alcohol-40, benzyl alcohol, alcohol). .
I quickly checked the ingredients and confirmed my fear. Denatured alcohol is the 3rd ingredient. Cyclopentasiloxane is 1st, water 2nd.
I hurriedly took a makeup wipe to my face but left the foundation along my jawlines and chin, purely in the name of science. I also left the crude swatches on my arm to see how they wore (I had to use an oil-based cleansing wipe!).

My thoughts:
Dry skinned folks, those who are prone to dehydration, sensitive to Cyclopentasiloxane, and those who are sensitive to or prefer to avoid bad alcohols, stay farrrrrrrrrr away. This stuff is loaded.
In the 5 minutes it was on my whole face, it made me look like a roadmap and instantly parched my skin (which hasn’t been happening quite as easily as it used to, I finally repaired my lipid barrier). My expression lines looked like canyons and my fine lines, well, they weren’t fine with this stuff on them!

Application with a brush was a breeze and highly suggested. It blends easily as long as you work fairly quickly. Sephora #56 has been best so far, so I suspect the soon-to-launch Dior Backstage Full Coverage Brush will be great with this! Finger application gave a patchy, uneven finish, and the Beauty Blender didn’t work well because the foundation dries down too quickly and is waterproof.

The finish was a natural soft matte bordering on satin, but quickly started to look dry on my mature/dry skin.

Coverage is actually really versatile and really great. I found it to have more initial coverage than MUFE and MAC F&B, and coverage is definitely buildable to nearly full.

I am on the neutral end of NW15 and wear shade 1.5N. Shade 2.0N was very very close also. I definitely suggest getting matched at a counter if you can because these seem to darken a bit as they dry. Do not go by just looking at the bottles either...the frosted plastic makes them look darker in the bottle as well.

The packaging, while minimalistic, sleek, and fuss-free, is messy as heck. It’s a plastic bottle with a tip like that on MAC face and body, but for some reason this one starts flowing from the opening the second it is opened and it gets everywhere. I should note, this one is heavier plastic that the MAC, in case that matters.

Consistency is a bit runny but not super watery or thick either. Reminds me a lot of Dior Forever (original).

The biggest pro besides the wide shade range is: This foundation wears like iron, it truly is transfer proof and waterproof. I cleaned my house, went outside and worked in the flowerbeds in 90 degree heat/awful humidity, swept off my deck, sweated my butt off, changed my clothes, talked on the phone, etc. and it never budged from my jawline OR my arm after 10.5 hours. It took a good solid double cleanse to finally remove it completely. As I mentioned above, the shade range is also a big plus, there are 40 shades with more on the way!

The cost comes in at $40/1oz. which is low-ish for Dior, but high considering the ingredients, IMO.

It was a MONUMENTAL fail for me, but those folks who dig bases like YSL All Hours or can tolerate high concentrations of denatured alcohol/Cyclopentasiloxane, this is definitely one to try! It’s staying power makes me wish bad alcohols weren’t bad and didn’t make look like a wrinkly crypt keeper.

Alas, I know they’re marketing this as “hydrating” and “for all skin types”, but I STRONGLY disagree with these claims.
I would have rated higher because I think those people who are OK with the ingredients and think it’s other qualities sound good, may definitely want to give it a try. Just because I don’t love the ingredient list doesn’t make it unwearable for everyone. However, I just think Dior could’ve done better. A product with THIS much alcohol is certainly NOT suitable for all skin types.

A company like Dior has so many resources at their disposal...this could have been epic, but frankly it is very cheaply formulated. Some may argue the ingredients are necessary for the weartime, but other brands have launched F&B or waterproof foundations with much less harsh formulas.

on 6/4/2018 6:55:00 PM

I’ve only got it today and it’s a great foundation.

My all time favourite was Chanel Pro Lumiere , unfortunately since the horrid stretchy elements found their way into each foundation available , I’ve been struggling to find a good match. It’s almost like they all designed to be used with a tonne of primer. I can’t use powders - I can only get away with using only one product on my face. This foundation was a welcome change. It’s still full of the new ingredients but it works well.

I used it without any primer - I dabbed it on slightly then used a beauty blender. It has an amazing staying power - I went to the gym and it still looks amazing.

I have a fair skin with yellow undertones and 1W is just the perfect shade.

It doesn’t sit in lines (I’m 34) and covered imperfections nicely.

I usually prefer more dewy finish , however, I actually loved how natural it looks.

I think it’ll do a great job of lasting throughout the day.

I’ve used Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation before and liked it - albeit that one was too stretchy which accentuates lines.this one is similar but not as heavy which is a good thing.

My skin requires foundation changes every few months - my most recent was Armani Luminous Silk.

I think I’ll stick to this foundation for a while - like all stretchy polymer foundations it does accentuate lines when smiling - however it doesn’t sit in lines and does a great job around the nose and in tricky areas.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to say I really love it so far. I am around NC20-25 right now (summer shade) and chose 2WO (2 warm olive). I got this shade as lately I have been mixing an olive mixer into my normal foundation and seem to get good results. This matches me ok but I do want to get matched when it reaches the stores. For now shade adjusters seem to be working for me as my skin tone changes a lot.

Comparing this to Mac Face & Body it has the same qualities as it starts off sheer, and is very buildable. But this is best applied with a brush as far as I can tell, where as Mac needs to be applied with your hands to gain coverage. Mac is more fluid. Dior is also so much easier to remove. They both have the same packaging though. Dior dries down very fast, so you have to apply quickly. Dior also has more shades. Mac breaks me out every time (even on first day) whereas I have no new visitors right now. Dior contain both alcohol and fragrance (stay away from this is you cannot tolerate either at all). Mac has no alcohol.

First layer was very sheer, but thankfully this builds like a dream to a solid medium. It covers my redness really well. I have normal skin right now (but can lean dry sometimes) but after hearing reports about the alcohol not doing people favours I was worried but it seems to be great as long as I moisturise and exfoliate well. The foundation looks natural all day, no caking or disappearing and feels comfortable all day without needing to retouch with powder (do not over powder if you don't have oily skin, or this will make it look drier than desired). Doesn't oxidise (on me personally), is transfer resistant, sweat resistant and wears all day without fading. It plays really nicely with my sunscreen and moisturiser too which is a bonus. There is fragrance but I have smelled stronger fragrance in other Dior foundations, and it does seem to dissipate on dry down. Another thing to add, shake the bottle VERY well before use, then bang on the table to force the air to the top of the bottle before opening. I do this and have not had a mess when using that others have noticed.

Update two weeks later: to my surprise I have experienced no additional dryness/sensitivity. I have been wearing this everyday since launch and my skin is doing so well! I do wonder if its due to my moisturiser and sunscreen, but since alcohol is so high on the list I did think maybe my skin wouldn't tolerate it. But, so far so good! I still love this foundation!

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, polyurethane-35, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, glycerin, silica, disteardimonium hectorite, sodium myristoyl glutamate, glyceryl undecyl dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, propylene carbonate, VP/VA copolymer, tetrasodium edta, parfum, aluminum hydroxide, linalool, limonene, citronellol, bht, tocopherol

on 6/18/2018 11:10:00 AM

I really wanted to like the Dior BackStage Face and Body Foundation, as I see from other reviews so many others do.  If you wear this you will find that it applies easily and very nicely, looks like real skin, and lasts all day without starting to look greasy.  The shade range is also AMAZING!  They have forty different shades, which is amazing selection.  For many reasons I wanted to love this foundation.   The finish is medium coverage but since the formula is so thin it can be built up very quickly.  It  is a very liquid consistency.

For me, with dry and sensitive skin, I used this without reading the ingredient list like I always do to give each product a fair unbiased try.  The third day using this my skin started to get dry and flaky and started to become very sensitive after washing the foundation off.  Doing my skincare routine at night after the third day I could tell my skin was slightly burning and just irritated to the point where I couldn't use most of my normal products because my skin was so irritated

This is because the third ingredient in the Dior BackStage Face and Body Foundation is denatured alcohol.  Denatured alcohol in larger amounts causes free radical damage and even can cause cell death.  This is something that we should be trying to avoid if and when possible.  I wish DIOR would have used almost any other ingredient other than this.  To top this off this product also contains fragrance, another ingredient that can cause irritation.

**If you like the look and feel of this foundation I HIGHLY recommend you try a sample of the BareMinerals BarePro Foundation, I find the wear of both of these to be similar, except the BareMinerals formula does not contain denatured alcohol or fragrance.  My more detailed video review and swatch can be seen here:

on 6/24/2018 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have oily skin. Lovely satin finish on the skin not completely matte but suits my oily skin well. I have blemishes and acne scars and the formula can be buildable. Amazed at how well it covered my scars! Would use this on holiday as the coverage can be adapted to suit you - light or build it up to a full coverage. I love the versatility of this. Love the quality of the product, feels luxurious as I put on my skin. Used my fingers to blend it in and I imagine it would look better with a beauty blender. I used shade 3W as I am a NC25/ Punjab in Nars and shade 025 in Dior makeup forever.

on 7/4/2018 4:34:00 PM

I really like this foundation. The shade 0N is perfect for my NW15 skin tone. The coverage is light to medium and it stays put throughout the day, which is great for my oily skin. It caused no irritation or anything. So far so good.

EDIT - I still sort of like it, but it can look streaky and I alwayes feel it on my skin because it doesn't quite set. I've had it for a year, and I 've barely used it

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I jumped on this because I saw that they had olive skin tones in their line up! I have been using Cover FX and even though it is still my go to foundation, I couldn’t resist trying this one by Dior. 2WO is actually a very good match, in fact it is an even BETTER match than my Cover FX in G40. This one has a slightly yellower tone, while Cover FX appears olive- neutral next to it. The package is in a squeeze bottle, unlike the other Dior foundations which are so luxuriously packaged. To me, I don’t find this as a disadvantage because the quality of the product is good, easy to travel with, and the dispenser does its job to where you can squeeze as little or as much as you can (unlike bottle or dropper types). But for others who prefer pumps or want a beautiful bottle, I can see why it may be a turn off to some. The cost is actually cheaper than my Cover FX (44$ vs 40$) which I find surprising considering it is Dior! I have paid upwards to 65-70$ for foundation so being able to get a more affordable foundation is refreshing— meaning, I am not afraid to use what I need! The foundation is creamy, not watery, and I can describe it as medium buildable coverage if you use a beauty-blender. I do like how they put instructions on their box to achieve the look that you want! The finish is more matte than my Cover FX and almost powdery-blurring in nature. I would agree it is skin like but more matte. I do have to use some Marc Jacobs Dew drops (Dew You) if I build this up to give some dimension because it would make me look super matte (too obvious I am wearing makeup). It has good oil control, lasts roughly 8 hours but it does get slightly patchy around the sides of my nose, chin and between my brows. I also make sure my skin is exfoliated because it can make dry patches more obvious. And depending on the type of primer or sunscreen, it sometimes aggregates on certain spots and don’t look so smooth. Don’t get me wrong, I still love this and will keep this in rotation for its finish and shade. It is nice to have because different events call for different looks, it just depends on what look I am going for. Despite its caveats, I still recommend it. It’s like getting the perfect pair of jeans where it may be fitting to some but not to all.

on 7/11/2018 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This foundation is one of my go-to's. I wear it all the time overtop of tarte shape tape. I like that it sets pretty quickly, is matte and looks natural on my skin. The coverage is so-so, but I can get more coverage if I build it up.

The packaging is nice, but inside the cap it gets pretty messy and grubby looking over time. You get a lot too so that's nice.

Also, unlike most foundation, I can get a decent shade match out of this. If you are pale with a yellow undertone you may like this in W0, their lightest shade.

on 7/15/2018 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought the Dior backstage foundation about a week ago and I’ve tried everything to make it work. I’ve tried exfoliating, cleansing, all different types of primers, hydration creams etc etc. however for me it is way too drying. I’m only 20 years old and this foundation gives me crows feet and laughing lines because it’s so dry...
The coverage level is light and i think it could look quite natural on someone with oily skin, for me it looked very chalky. My skin isn’t even THAT dry - I will never get patches of dry skin or anything like that but if I didn’t moisturise I probably would...
Overall I definitely do not recommend to someone with dry skin, if you have oily skin get a tester before buying!!!!
Ps. I got the colour 3 Warm

on 7/16/2018 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have currently been on a foundation testing kick, trying everything under the sun. This foundation was one of them.

I'm a NC20 with very yellow undertones. I tried this with a sample of 1N. The color looks very pink in the bottle but changed a bit on my skin and looked fine, tone-wise.

Everyone mentioned a scent, and I'm highly sensitive to scents, but barely noticed one with this, even upon application.

I applied it with a RT brush, since brush application was recommended. I think it applied very well, thin and lightweight, I was surprised, since my oily but dry skin prefers a damp sponge.

However, from there, it went a bit mediocre. I found that areas got very dry, and when I went to fix the dryness, the foundation woukd just flake off with the skin. I applied this over Smashbox primerizer, a more moisturizing primer, yet it still flaked in spots. A little did go a long way.

By noon, my face was getting too shiny for my liking so I washed it off, and found myself with a small breakout forming on my chin already. I find this bipolar foundation; it goes on smooth but dries fast on the skin. But then after an hour or two, becomes oily (on my skin).

Since I had been testing different foundations, I can say that this foundation looked identical on my skin as the CoverGirl Ready Set, Gorgeous foundation I wore just the day before. Starts out matte but becomes more natural finish on the skin. Save yourself some $$$ and try that first!!

Anyone wants my Dior sample to try, let me know, since I wont use it again! Glad to give it away.