Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation

Filtered by age: 44-55
Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation
Backstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body FoundationBackstage Face & Body Foundation

3.3

on 1/23/2019 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I'm a 50 year old with very good skin however when I put this on my husband said I looked tired and all my lines were amplified.

Off it came and into the bin it went. Shame because the texture was nice and it wore well.

on 12/25/2018 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Oh god, I hate this stuff. I got a sample of it after wanting to try it for months, and I'm so glad I didn't spend money on the bottle. I tried putting this on with a brush and my fingers (which Dior recommends), and both times the foundation clung to the tiny hairs on my skin and in the corners of my nose. Iy emphasized my pores and looked generally god awful. I didn't try a sponge as every review I've read or watched says that it just soaked up the product, and that seems like such a waste to me. I work N1, which seemed to be a good match for my NC20 skin. Where the foundation looked okay, it felt nice, but I couldn't get over how terrible it looked everywhere else. I'll be sticking with my Estee Lauder Double Wear.

on 11/10/2018 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation. The texture of it is pretty thin and the coverage is great. Even though I’m a beauty blender or brush user I apply this with my fingers. It melts in to my skin and covers all imperfections but never gets cakey. It’s like a serum with coverage. I’d say it’s high medium coverage but doesn’t look like makeup. I’m no youngster and I have some skin issues. Fine lines. Wrinkles. Redness. This doesn’t settle into lines/wrinkles, covers my redness. And while it’s a matte finish it’s not dry matte is a satin matte. I do powder it because I gave 12-14 hour days. And it stays almost perfect. I just love this stuff.

on 9/9/2018 6:26:00 AM

This is a very simple basic formula that is packaged in a minimalistic simple bottle that is 1.7 oz/50 ml. Yet Dior achieves excellent aesthetics for both the packaging and for the finish of the product on the skin.

The foundation does apply fairly easily, is buildable and settles well. However, I find it a bit too "wet" and not as dry as the Armani Luminous Silk foundation after it has settled on the skin. It also oxidizes much more than it should.

The finish is natural (but letting almost no skin through even when applied in a very thin layer) unlike the Armani LS that lets the skin naturally come through, lending an exceptionally natural finish to the skin.

As it has been pointed out by a previous reviewer that the Armani LS has a more luminous and natural finish. It also contains a natural emulsifier (and an excellent hypoallergenic emollient) that does hydrate the skin, while the product from Dior is based solely on a silicone emulsifier and silicone oils, yet it feels heavier and more hydrating on the skin, but somehow not in a good way.

It sadly also caused blemishes on the site of application.

I find this foundation nice on the skin even after several hours it is in place and with minimal shine. That being said, I find this "shine" harsher than the one from the Armani LS which is more flattering even though this shine tends to appear faster on my skin when using the Armani LS.

I also find the colour range of Dior dark, also because the colours do oxidize fairly quickly after application.
In the summer/early autumn I use 7 (neutral) in Armani LS but the number 3.5 (neutral) and 3 (warm) in Dior Backstage are way too dark (and the numer 3 is way too yellow) even with a summer tan.

I also find that a fragrance-free product would have been a better choice. Unfortunately while the fragrance is not prominent, it does linger even after several hours after application and I do find it disturbing.

Maybe sunscreen should have been included?

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyurethane-35, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Glycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Glyceryl Undecyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, VP/VA Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum, Aluminum Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, BHT, Tocopherol

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Horrible grandma scent, emphasizes texture. Even with a wide shade range I could not match my shade.

on 7/24/2018 11:38:00 PM

Love, Love, Love...

I watched the whole meghan- royal- wedding and insta went crazy when Daniel Martin let out the scoop that meghan wore Dior.. I told myself ima gonna get the whole backstage pass on the wedding makeup!!! woo hoo!! .. and I sure did when it launched recently!!! Meghan looked natural with all her freckles coming thru and was nice.

I was matched to 2W and it works like a dream on me. It virtually glided on my skin like butter. I have combo skin and this works well. I use my MAC stippling brush and just blend outwards . It gives you sheer to heavy coverage depending on how much you add. So it goes from sheer to heavy and doesnt look cakey!! Now that's a deal to me!! I've also use this on my decolletage and my skin looks even toned from face to shoulders .

The price is ok for a high end brand.. no issues there. It stayed a good 12 hours on me straight thru work and all nite partying .. im a happy camper. Smells like a scented perfume and nice, but I was not affected at all. No breakouts .. no allergies ..thank goodness !!!

Cons
The packaging. The rubberized bottle looks cheap for a brand like Dior.. Dior compromised on looks but certainly didnt compromise on the quality itself.

Recommend?
Highly ! Buy!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to say I really love it so far. I am around NC20-25 right now (summer shade) and chose 2WO (2 warm olive). I got this shade as lately I have been mixing an olive mixer into my normal foundation and seem to get good results. This matches me ok but I do want to get matched when it reaches the stores. For now shade adjusters seem to be working for me as my skin tone changes a lot.

Comparing this to Mac Face & Body it has the same qualities as it starts off sheer, and is very buildable. But this is best applied with a brush as far as I can tell, where as Mac needs to be applied with your hands to gain coverage. Mac is more fluid. Dior is also so much easier to remove. They both have the same packaging though. Dior dries down very fast, so you have to apply quickly. Dior also has more shades. Mac breaks me out every time (even on first day) whereas I have no new visitors right now. Dior contain both alcohol and fragrance (stay away from this is you cannot tolerate either at all). Mac has no alcohol.

First layer was very sheer, but thankfully this builds like a dream to a solid medium. It covers my redness really well. I have normal skin right now (but can lean dry sometimes) but after hearing reports about the alcohol not doing people favours I was worried but it seems to be great as long as I moisturise and exfoliate well. The foundation looks natural all day, no caking or disappearing and feels comfortable all day without needing to retouch with powder (do not over powder if you don't have oily skin, or this will make it look drier than desired). Doesn't oxidise (on me personally), is transfer resistant, sweat resistant and wears all day without fading. It plays really nicely with my sunscreen and moisturiser too which is a bonus. There is fragrance but I have smelled stronger fragrance in other Dior foundations, and it does seem to dissipate on dry down. Another thing to add, shake the bottle VERY well before use, then bang on the table to force the air to the top of the bottle before opening. I do this and have not had a mess when using that others have noticed.

Update two weeks later: to my surprise I have experienced no additional dryness/sensitivity. I have been wearing this everyday since launch and my skin is doing so well! I do wonder if its due to my moisturiser and sunscreen, but since alcohol is so high on the list I did think maybe my skin wouldn't tolerate it. But, so far so good! I still love this foundation!

Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, polyurethane-35, PEG-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, glycerin, silica, disteardimonium hectorite, sodium myristoyl glutamate, glyceryl undecyl dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, propylene carbonate, VP/VA copolymer, tetrasodium edta, parfum, aluminum hydroxide, linalool, limonene, citronellol, bht, tocopherol

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

This was a hard review to write because I truly believe some people will love this foundation. It was a bad fit for me because of the ingredients, but I also think those ingredients could be deal-breakers for many. That being said, onto the review ;).

When I got this foundation, I did something I NEVER do and slapped it on without reading the ingredients. Within seconds I felt my face start to become tight, itchy, and uncomfortably dry...which usually only means one thing: Bad alcohols (alcohol denat, sd Alcohol-40, benzyl alcohol, alcohol). .
I quickly checked the ingredients and confirmed my fear. Denatured alcohol is the 3rd ingredient. Cyclopentasiloxane is 1st, water 2nd.
I hurriedly took a makeup wipe to my face but left the foundation along my jawlines and chin, purely in the name of science. I also left the crude swatches on my arm to see how they wore (I had to use an oil-based cleansing wipe!).

My thoughts:
Dry skinned folks, those who are prone to dehydration, sensitive to Cyclopentasiloxane, and those who are sensitive to or prefer to avoid bad alcohols, stay farrrrrrrrrr away. This stuff is loaded.
In the 5 minutes it was on my whole face, it made me look like a roadmap and instantly parched my skin (which hasn’t been happening quite as easily as it used to, I finally repaired my lipid barrier). My expression lines looked like canyons and my fine lines, well, they weren’t fine with this stuff on them!

Application with a brush was a breeze and highly suggested. It blends easily as long as you work fairly quickly. Sephora #56 has been best so far, so I suspect the soon-to-launch Dior Backstage Full Coverage Brush will be great with this! Finger application gave a patchy, uneven finish, and the Beauty Blender didn’t work well because the foundation dries down too quickly and is waterproof.

The finish was a natural soft matte bordering on satin, but quickly started to look dry on my mature/dry skin.

Coverage is actually really versatile and really great. I found it to have more initial coverage than MUFE and MAC F&B, and coverage is definitely buildable to nearly full.

I am on the neutral end of NW15 and wear shade 1.5N. Shade 2.0N was very very close also. I definitely suggest getting matched at a counter if you can because these seem to darken a bit as they dry. Do not go by just looking at the bottles either...the frosted plastic makes them look darker in the bottle as well.

The packaging, while minimalistic, sleek, and fuss-free, is messy as heck. It’s a plastic bottle with a tip like that on MAC face and body, but for some reason this one starts flowing from the opening the second it is opened and it gets everywhere. I should note, this one is heavier plastic that the MAC, in case that matters.

Consistency is a bit runny but not super watery or thick either. Reminds me a lot of Dior Forever (original).

The biggest pro besides the wide shade range is: This foundation wears like iron, it truly is transfer proof and waterproof. I cleaned my house, went outside and worked in the flowerbeds in 90 degree heat/awful humidity, swept off my deck, sweated my butt off, changed my clothes, talked on the phone, etc. and it never budged from my jawline OR my arm after 10.5 hours. It took a good solid double cleanse to finally remove it completely. As I mentioned above, the shade range is also a big plus, there are 40 shades with more on the way!

The cost comes in at $40/1oz. which is low-ish for Dior, but high considering the ingredients, IMO.

It was a MONUMENTAL fail for me, but those folks who dig bases like YSL All Hours or can tolerate high concentrations of denatured alcohol/Cyclopentasiloxane, this is definitely one to try! It’s staying power makes me wish bad alcohols weren’t bad and didn’t make look like a wrinkly crypt keeper.

Alas, I know they’re marketing this as “hydrating” and “for all skin types”, but I STRONGLY disagree with these claims.
I would have rated higher because I think those people who are OK with the ingredients and think it’s other qualities sound good, may definitely want to give it a try. Just because I don’t love the ingredient list doesn’t make it unwearable for everyone. However, I just think Dior could’ve done better. A product with THIS much alcohol is certainly NOT suitable for all skin types.

A company like Dior has so many resources at their disposal...this could have been epic, but frankly it is very cheaply formulated. Some may argue the ingredients are necessary for the weartime, but other brands have launched F&B or waterproof foundations with much less harsh formulas.