Accutane (by prescription)

Accutane (by prescription)

4.2

WARNING: Certain types of doses of Accutane contain PEANUT OIL and/or SOYBEAN OIL. Consult your doctor about which dose you are taking (You can also take the generic brand)

I am in the middle of taking accutane. I've decided to devote my notepad to my journey, rather than write one long review here. Please check out my notepad for more deets!

on 7/26/2016 6:52:00 AM

What an amazing medication! I've been dealing with acne for years and tried everything under the sun from expensive Sephora products to drug store to every topical treatment you can think of. I was very hesitant to try this because of the negative reputation that this medication holds but it cleared up my skin like nothing else. It worked for me within a couple weeks, and completely stopped my excessive oil production so I don't get oily anymore which is fantastic. The only downside is to how incredibly and painfully dry my lips have gotten but it's so worth it, I'd do it all over again. If you're debating whether this medication is worth it, I highly highly recommend it a lot.

To Read all 154 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/24/2016 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I feel like I have to include this medication review in a beauty and makeup site because for me, I was not able to fully experience the joy in beauty until my acne was cured. Yes, you read correctly, CURED.

My skin for as long as I can remember, was extremely oily skin with gigantic pores. I started experiencing acne in late Elementary school(4th- 5th grade) and it was terrible in middle school. I had acne not only on my face, but also on my chest, neck, on my back and even on my arms, legs, and buttocks. I had mostly blackheads, some whiteheads, but worse of all I had cystic acne, giant painful, deep acne. When I was younger my mother did so much for me by taking me to doctors, and especially emotional reassurance with the times I have been in tears, crying because of my skin. I have tried diets, I have tried every single topical treatment with every single type of ingredient, I have tried antibiotics, no makeup, mineral makeup, holistic treatments, natural/bio products, EVERYTHING! I will say that some of these treatments did HELP, some more than others like topical retinol, salicylic acid(BHA), antibiotics(best against whiteheads and cystic acne after it's infected) but nothing completely alleviated the problem. I still had reoccurring cystic acne and overly oily skin. Getting older has changed some, but the problem is still there. When one giant cyst is gone, another reappears. There were a few times when I have perfect skin but then this ugly cyst somewhere. Overall, I understand the frustration.

In my country in Europe, Accutane has the name Tretinac, it is the same medication as Accutane. I am an American living in Europe the past 4 years now, going to the dermatologist here has changed my skin permanently for the better. My dermatologist here in Europe prescribed me the Accutane right away and within the next few days, my skin dramatically changed! It was as if the oil suddenly dried up and the acne went away. with more time my pores started to become smaller due to less oil production, and my skin can finally heal. All that was left were scars but with moisturizing, exfoliation, they faded away. I stayed on the medication for a year. I started in the beginning with a higher dosage and with time I reduced to a smaller dosage.

My doctor told me the reason I was never on Accutane in the US is because most doctors are scared to give such an aggressive medication. It causes birth defects(when taking it while pregnant) major dryness and sun sensitivity. I was also prescribed birth control before my doctor gave me the medication. My doctor told me in the US, the doctors do not prescribe the medication for over a few months but in order to be FULLY effective, it needs to be over the course of at least a year. The doctors in the US are scared of lawsuits and the European doctors have more freedom to fully practice medicine and help. No offense to anyone and I am NOT saying the doctors in the US are inadequate. I still love my home country!

I have been off for over two years now and my skin is normal and sometimes combination(mostly Summer) but thankfully it's nowhere near the oil production as before. I have not had a single cyst. I do occasionally get teeny tiny whiteheads but due to laziness at times like forgetting to wash my face. Very minor acne compared to what I had before.

The major side effects to this medication are dryness and peeling and I would take that ANY DAY over acne! Dryness I can fix. I find it almost amusing to treat my dry skin when I had extremely oily skin my whole life. There are so many products and ways to treat dryness but not many to treat my acne. The extreme dryness eventually subsides and my skin balanced out. One could be sun sensitive with Accutane, but I never experienced it.

I can wear whatever makeup I want, I can eat what I want, I can use many types of skincare products while before I was scared to even put moisturizer on! Makeup is now fun rather than only focusing on concealing and hiding. Call me shallow or whatever you want. I am more confident than I have ever been. I can wear whatever I want, I now wear sleeveless shirts, backless tops, wearing my hair up, when before I covered up because I was embarrassed of my skin(acne was not just on my face). People now compliment me on my skin and they cannot believe that I ever had acne. EVERYDAY IS A GOOD SKIN DAY. I am so thankful for my doctor and this medication.

I know I sound like one of those people who give cheesy testimonials on television for anti acne brands; I used to watch them over and over again wishing that could happen to me and I could one day say the same thing. I'm absolutely no way sponsored by any brand or company(does Accutane even have sponsors?), I'm just a woman who wants to share my experience because this is the biggest and best thing I ever did for my skin and I would even call this life changing.

I highly recommend to those who need this. This is an aggressive medication that you need to keep/stick with it and most of all, take precaution with any sort of medicine. Whatever medication or path you choose to take for your skin, problematic or not, Accutane/Tretinac or not) DON'T GIVE UP.

on 7/14/2015 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Most people only have to do one course of Accutane (taking it daily for several months under a doctor's supervision) to permanently shrink oil glands. Sometimes people with severe, scarring cystic acne might do it more than once, but I think that's unusual.

It works miraculously well.

I did one course of Accutane about 15 years ago. It made a huge difference in my skin and improved it more than any other drug ever has. It is an insanely high dose of vitamin A.

The results are long-lasting. I had years of benefits. It was a tremendous improvement in reducing the amount of acne and the severity of it. Fifteen years later, when I get a zit or two, they are usually related to hormonal activity in the menstrual cycle, or in humid weather when I have to wear sunscreen and foundation and sweat. It's rare to have more than two or three small zits at a time (no mountain ranges). I still hate getting them. Ideally I'd never have any. But I used to get lots of blotches and eruptions and I don't now.

When you're taking Accutane, your pores shrink to be so small that they almost disappear entirely. When you stop taking it, your pores eventually return to their normal size, however; your oil glands are SMALLER and will stay smaller than they were before. So you produce less oil than you used to.

For some people, this cures acne. If it doesn't cure yours completely, you will still see a dramatic improvement.

For some people with rosacea, they see a dramatic improvement. Reduced swelling, reduced redness, smoother skin, a reduction in flare-ups.

There are side effects - the main one is it dries your skin like crazy. It will be flaky and dry during treatment. You'll have to use moisturizers you never dreamed you'd need.

Another is you'll be more likely to get a sunburn than you would normally be. Get used to wearing sunscreen. Your skin might temporarily become sensitive while taking the drug.

Read all the scary brochures about other possible side effects and make an informed decision about whether you want to do it. You will only take Accutane for a few months. During the time you're taking Accutane, you have to constantly check in with your dermatologist and don't get pregnant because it can cause birth defects in a developing fetus. Accutane is meant to be taken short-term (a few months) and then you STOP TAKING IT ENTIRELY.

As I said, I haven't taken it in years. Now I use topicals for my skin, but not all the time. Sometimes I go a few months without using any prescriptions.

My favorite topical medications are: Cleocin T gel (antibiotic), or Finacea gel (azelaic acid). In the past I've also had success with Retin-A Micro. You can't take this while you're on Accutane, by the way, but you can AFTER you complete your course. Retin-A Micro does a great job of causing cellular turnover, so your skin exfoliates more. This does mean it peels, like when you get a sunburn. So I don't use Retin-A Micro every day. I still have a half-used tube that hasn't expired and I use it as needed. I used it recently and only used for a few days, and let it peel, and then my skin looked great for a few weeks. I had to go into a general practitioner's office recently for an unrelated issue and I mentioned that I'd had lots of skin problems over the years and he was surprised. He thought my skin looked great.

Most people think I have nice skin even though I complain about it a lot. I have always had sensitive skin and it's fair so I have to use SPF, and can't use avobenzone so I have to use mineral sunscreens, which can contribute to breakouts, etc. etc. Every time I experience irritation from a cosmetic product, I hate it, and report to Makeup Alley and blow off steam. Grrr! Sensitive skin seems to be genetic. I have a cousin who can't use fragranced laundry detergent. So there's just something wacky about our genes.

Accutane won't cure allergies. Again, it shrinks oil glands and does that amazingly well. So the results in acne vulgaris are very dramatic and last for years if you can survive a few months on it. It is the best treatment for acne that we have. It is also very helpful in reducing severe cases of rosacea and making them mild cases.

I still have to be careful what I put on my skin and take good care of it, and avoid irritating products, and drink water, and try not to eat junk, but I shudder to think of how awful my skin was before I took Accutane. It really made a difference, and it improved my confidence in all areas of life. I loved the results I got. My skin isn't perfect but fifteen years later, I have fewer breakouts than I did before I took Accutane.

I usually describe my skin type and sensitive and combination. It's not super oily anymore, but it used to be. Nowadays I get some oil in the T-zone but I don't have nearly as much oil as I did in my teens. I almost never get breakouts on my forehead. If I do get a zit, it's usually within an inch of my nose, or I might get one on my chin. If I go to a cold climate in the winter, my skin will get drier, but in a warm climate, I see subtle changes from season to season and sometimes I switch foundations. I still like foundations that are designed for oily skin, but I don't have to wear foundation that is completely matte. Occasionally I reach for Kate Somerville's Anti-Bac to spot treat a blemish (it contains benzoyl peroxide).

I rated Accutane 4 out of 5. I considered rating it a 5 out of 5 because it's so effective, but held one back due to side effects and cost. Performance is 5 for 5.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I've had acne for 18 years so I know how deep acne-related depression can go. However, the side effects from Accutane were just too terrifying for me to continue. Within a month, I had clearer skin, but also severe joint aches, wild mood swings and depression, exhaustion, and I knew the side effects were just beginning. I got off it because I don't fancy having some awful diseases in the future instead of acne - I'd rather slap on the war paint and know that my gastric system and internal organs are generally doing ok. Trust me, I know how desperate you can get when there's cystic acne all over your face and back, and life occasionally doesn't even seem worth living. But I took the decision to try to manage that rather than deal with post-Accutane collateral damage.

I stopped taking accutane shortly after my first month on it. The exact day I started taking accutane I got a bad UTI from intercourse. I got antibiotics for it, but the symptoms never went away. Needless to say, I believed the accutane was the cause of my bladder problems, and it might have been, but I will never know. Now I have Interstitial Cystitis. Anyway, I only took accutane for a month, but that month basically purged all my acne out and changed my skin. I took accutane for ONLY a month and I havnt had a bad breakout since. My skin is much clearer to this day. Thinking back on the situation, I don't really think the accutane gave me IC. I think I would have gotten it anyway from the bad UTI, but I will never know. Stay hydrated and always pee after intercourse. Bottom line, accutane worked for me.

on 5/25/2015 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I went on Accutane 5 years ago. When I started I had cystic acne around my mouth, on my chin, and all along my cheeks. Pustules, papules, whiteheads, blackheads...it was awful. I had been prescribed Retin-A a few months prior, so my skin was also extremely inflamed and irritated.

Acne had such an enormous and negative impact on my life. I was taking off a few days every week from my job, depressed, crying every day and night. My GP prescribed Xanax because I was having anxiety attacks. Finally my dermatologist prescribed Accutane. I was on 60 mg daily (I weighed 150 lbs. at the time) for 6 months. I used generic Claravis. The first month my acne became very flat and less inflamed, and every month after that the acne diminished. When I went off Accutane my face was clear. For about a year, every time I got one pimple I would become devastated and fear that the acne was coming back. Now it has been 5 years and my acne has NEVER returned. At most I get 1 or 2 small pimples a month. The excess oil production I suffered before taking Accutane NEVER returned. The discoloration from my acne completely faded; I no longer have the red marks. Unfortunately I do have some "icepick" scarring around my mouth. Otherwise, people are shocked when I tell them I had serious cystic acne. They can't tell because my skin looks great!

Now I can go anywhere I want without makeup. Before Accutane I literally would not go grocery shopping or even to the corner to pick up my mail without makeup on. Overnight trips were out of the question because I had too many acne products to bring and I was fearful that my friends and family would see what my face looked like without makeup. Now I wash with Purpose and moisturize with Cerave. That's it! Accutane worked a miracle on my face and I'm so grateful I decided to use it.

Why didn't I use it sooner? Because I got scared by stories I read on the internet. People said it made their hair fall out, it gave them unbearable joint paint, or it made them depressed. I don't want to minimize those peoples' experiences, but I cannot emphasize enough, that was NOT my experience. My hair is thick and goes down to my waist, I run, lift weights, and practice yoga with zero joint pain, and Accutane helped cure my depression because I am no longer consumed with thoughts of my acne.

If acne is seriously negatively affecting your life, I urge you to give this medication a try. It transformed my life for the better :)

on 4/14/2015 3:01:00 PM

Ok, so I started Accutane 33 days ago and I'm so happy I did! I am 29 years old suffering from moderate acne and oily skin since I was 11 years old. I tried everything possible.. creams, medication, laser treatments, oil cleansing, spironolactone.. name it, I've tried it!
For those of you who are thinking of trying Accutane but are not sure, I think you need to give it a try! (I'm on 40 mg a day) The first week I immediately saw an improvement with my skin oil and by the second week I broke out! Even though I broke out with cystic pimples all around my chin, the pimples cleared up faster than usual. By the third week my skin was healing.. and hasn't stop healing since plus I do not have oily skin anymore!! Let's hope it continues in this direction!!

on 3/21/2015 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had persistent acne that was barely under control until my 21 years and then I got accutane prescribed by my dermatologist. That was 6 years ago. It helped a lot but still get occasional breakouts and use foundation when leaving home. It might be the miracle to end all miracles in some case but certainly not for everyone and you can never know where you fall before trying. And it's no cakewalk.

My acne was worse during the two of the six months treatment and had to do monthly blood analysis to check if everything is alright. Had to use special soothing skincare and an ultra hydrating serum saved my face which was otherwise drier than Sahara. No foundation would look decent over it. My hands were also cracked and in constant need of hand cream. A couple of months after finishing the treatment I had to continue taking a small dose of Accutane for another three months.

Then again I think it was worth it; it's true that my skin has never been perfect and probably never will but after the treatment I've never had intense flare ups for long.

on 3/21/2015 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was on Accutane 5 years ago (when I was 14) and had cystic acne on my face and back. It didn't take long for it to clear up pretty much everything.
The side effects were pretty tough. My hands, arms, and face were really dry and I had to constantly put on a strong moisturizer. The inside of my nose even started to bleed because it was so dry. BUT, despite all the dryness, this really works. I was on it for 6 months, and the side effects were much more manageable compared to how my acne was.
My face was so smooth people thought I was wearing makeup when I wasn't, which was awesome to finally hear.
However, 5 years later, I have mild acne. After going to a dermatologist, I was told that people who use this in their early teens will likely see it come back because puberty is only beginning then. But it's definitely no where near as bad as it was, and I mainly get little pimples now that are much easier to maintain with other products and makeup.
So, if you have cystic acne, definitely use this because it'll help prevent the scars that come with cystic acne, and it's a quick solution. Don't be scared of the side effects because they're really not that bad. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again is because I don't need it anymore. My skin would be much worse off if it wasn't for this!

Popular Face Skincare Products