Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Blackest Black

2.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Feeling a little "blah" about my usual mascara- Mabelline Full and Soft- I decided to try my old high school favorite again. The first thing I noticed was how tiny the brush is. The next thing I noticed was the the mascara does not go on smooth. It clumps, sometimes on the first coat. Oh, and this stuff is definitely NOT hypoallergenic, at all. On the way to work this morning my eyes starting stinging and watering. I was unable to see for a short time and I'm pretty sure I spent my whole subway ride looking like a cartoon version of "crying woman" with black mascara streaks on my cheeks. I can attest that they really truly have not made a single change to this mascara since at least 1989.

on 12/10/2015 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Yes, I gave this 5 lippies, and I'm shocked, too! I used to think Great Lash was such garbage I couldn't believe anybody would use it. I recall buying it a few times many years ago. I'd had "surprise sleepovers" where I found myself without any makeup come morning, but I had to get to work on time. I'd grab a tube of this at a gas station, then attempt to apply makeup while driving on the 405 freeway, hoping for a Sigalert, to reduce my changes of poking my eyes out. Back then, Great Lash had a curved brush that resulted in the "6 pointy eyelashes" effect. By the end of the day, it smudged all over my face, then disappeared. I'd throw out the tube, only to find myself in a bind, again, and in need of any makeup a.s.a.p.

The other day I got caught under a rain drip as I was leaving a store. Of course it hit me right in the eye, causing my mascara, on one eye, to run all over my face. I was on my way to volunteering in my daughter's classroom, and she would be moritified if I showed up looking like half a raccoon. I had no time to wash off my makeup and start again. The best I could do was try to even out my eyes with a cheap liner and mascara. Great Lash beckoned to me, like an old friend, from a sale endcap at Safeway.I decided to buy a tube to see if I could get it to work its iconic "magic" when I'm not driving 75MPH.

This is great stuff! Maybe the formula has changed, or maybe I just couldn't use that old curved brush, but...I'm shocked. This is BLACK. So many mascaras aren't black enough. It gives my lashes excellent definition and they stand out because the black has so much depth. This doesn't elongate my lashes, and it doesn't really thicken them, but it is top notch...absolutely terrific...at curling my lashes and keeping them curled. My lashes are dark, defined, and they frame my face, not because they are furry or gloppy, but because they are enhanced.

After a couple of hours, this does smudge on my bottom lashes, but, heck, so does Dior. Great Lash is UNDER $5.00! For enhanced, curled lashes, and under $5.00, this is worthwhile. It's not likely to be my everyday mascara, because I do like to add length, but I'll be keeping this around. When I use it as a top layer over my other mascaras, it keeps the curl!

To Read all 691 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/5/2015 10:22:00 PM

I signed up for an account just so I could rant about how horrible this product is. It clumps your lashes together like no tomorrow, the wand applicator is horribly designed. Even with an eyelash primer (i used 4 different ones), this mascara ruins it all. It's horrible. Whoever designed this should be drawn and quartered because this does for makeup and specifically your eyelashes what Nickleback did for music. It really should never have existed in the first place.

I normally like Maybelline. Their mascaras were my introduction into makeup. I can't believe this thing exists in their product line.

on 4/21/2015 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

For the price - this is a good beauty bargain. Warning - if it gets old - TOSS IT it can be a stinky, clumpy mess - and for the price you can afford to use and TOSS. I have used this for years (about $4.99 per tube) and it's a great value.

Not a HG by any means - but a decent formula. Darkens more than it lengthens. For length I like DiorShow.

It's definitely very black but the formula is very "wet" and doesn't work for me

on 4/6/2015 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

When I first heard about Great Lash, I was so excited. Everyone was raving about how well it worked. When I found out it was so cheap I was thrilled. I decided to buy the 'Blackest Black' one because I wanted my lashes to really stand out. The euphoria ended when I tried it. It clumps, smudges, runs and the brush is horrible. When I take the brush out of the container, there is globs of product on it. Also, it doesn't coat all of my lashes evenly. This mascara makes my lashes feel quite heavy, which is awful. Probably the only thing I liked about the product was the packaging, with its cute and classic shape and color.

on 2/28/2015 12:34:00 PM

I have used Maybelline mascara, as well as several other brands of mascara, in years past with no problems at all, but for some reason, this particular formula (Blackest Black?) has resulted in a severe allergic reaction in the form of dermatitis on both the upper and lower lash lines and the surrounding skin. My eyes are swollen, itchy, and inflamed, and it is NOT enjoyable.

I am not sure if the content of this article is still relevant, as it was published in 2009, but it discusses similar cases resulting from Maybelline's use of shellac in its mascara at that time. I do not know whether shellac is to blame for the strange reaction that I and approximately 10% of the other customers who have posted reviews have experienced, but it may be worth looking into:

Regardless of which chemical component of the formula is responsible for causing such dermatological irritation, it is egregiously irresponsible of Maybelline to continue marketing this product without a warning, considering that a significant number of individuals have experienced an adverse reaction, a number which far exceeds the four patients named in the case study above.

Anyway, hope this warning serves someone well. If you have a special event coming up, steer clear - the swelling doesn't go down immediately after stopping usage.

on 1/20/2015 3:45:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I used to love this product - cheap, decent mascara, long lasting, natural... although I am sure the formula has changed in recent years as my eyes have suddenly become really sensitive to it. I never remember the product smelling, although now it has a very strong odour of alcohol/chemicals, which instinctively makes me not want to put it near my eyes! It's also now incredibly hard to remove, I use the non-waterproof formula and I have to scrub like mad with eye make up remover to get all of it off.
Sadly, I won't be purchasing this again.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been wearing make up for 30 years. I have never had an allergic reaction, until I used Great Lash, Blackest Black mascara. Red, itchy, painful eyes - lots of discharge that lasted over a week. I had to see a doctor and get on prescriptions drugs. I had to miss work because of the discomfort - I couldn't see anything. The mascara has a chemically smell to it - there must be something toxic in there. If you have any doubts - don't buy this product. There are plenty of other options out there. You don't want or need the hassle.

Just not as good as the cult classic.... It feels like it's old since its a bit dry......PASS