3.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

I enjoyed reading this YEARS ago but now that Paula Begoun has her own line it seems more biased.

About reviewer (2443 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

6 years ago

I give Paula a lot of credit. For two things 1) gathering research and 2) For not going with only natural products. The fact that many of us know about her on makeupalley, shows that their was a real lack of continuity in the makeup world about ingredients and claims before she came along. I am allergic to a lot of skin care products and detergents. And growing up, I had difficulty figuring out products that would be safe to use. Since in my early 20s I discovered her books I have ended up cutting way down on impulse purchases, reading my ingredients and rarely have problems with irritation, allergies, or acne. I can see that a lot of the negative ratings have to do with her aversion to natural products and scent.....but I think I'm one of those people she is writing for, I often have problems with both. And I always remind myself....poison ivy is natural. Where Paula loses me sometimes is, I tend to rate packaging and ease of use as important things, even though I repott/bottle some products. My sense of makeup and hair is much more extreme than hers as well. Her information is the most useful for general knowledge about ingredients. I have her hair book as well. although in 2014, her website is really the best way to keep up to date about a lot of this knowledge. A good rule of thumb I use is finding the most popular products, then the highest rated out of those on makeup alley. Then I cross-reference it with her knowledge to weed out bias about scent and packaging. Finally I pay attention to cost and volume on both sites.

About reviewer (36 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium, Neutral

HairRed, Wavy, Medium

6 years ago

I second the review that asks for civility and rationality. I prefer science over magic. I prefer less ranting. I don't understand the vitriol. Keep in mind, this company recommends scads of "bests," most of them made by companies other than her own. Oh, and to the person who said she contradicts herself, she does not sell eye creams, only moisturizers that can be used anywhere on your face. My skin has never looked better. I'm 58 and have no association with her company or books.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBrunette

6 years ago

This is my first review on Makeupalley and I just suddenly felt compelled to write it out of sheer frustration at all the negative reviews! I know we are all entitled to our opinions, what would a review site be if we all agreed? I just have to point out that, in this instance, many of the negative reviews seem to despise Paula Begoun for the fact that she stands by her line!! Those in the know realise that Paula has been recommending products since the early 80's! She has educated herself on a great number of skin issues and product ingredients. She launched her line in the mid 90's on the back of requests and I suppose it seemed the next step in her career. For those who bizarrely state that she loses credibility for recommending her own line, are you aware of what you are saying?! Surely she would lose the cred if the reverse were true? Would you buy products from a line advising you not to use their products?! Would you prefer your skincare to come with a WARNING sign?! If Clinique advised against buying one of thier own products, would you deem them a more credible or truthful company?! I rant and rave, but I am merely annoyed at the madness in your arguments. Paula recommends other brands, including her own. What line or brand can you think of that does the same? I don't find she pushes her own line over other 'Best' rated products. Why should she put her line down to remain credible? The idea simply contradicts itself. I love Paula's Choice and it's creator, as everything just makes sense. My skin has MAJORLY transformed on the back of both her advice and products. I still use other brands, but I always consult Beautypedia beforehand. If there is no review for what I'm looking for, then I just use all the plentiful, helpful, sensible and honest advise and knowlege I have gained from Paula. I am seriously not associated with the brand in any way at all, I am just a firm believer in their ethos. All those bearing a grudge, you are missing out!!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

6 years ago

I will go to the cosmetics counter every time without this piece of crap. This woman recommends the most harmful-to-skin products.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinDry, Medium, Neutral

EyesBrown

6 years ago

Forget Paula's Choice, her books and her website are only a clever kind of content marketing to advertise her brand and her products. Regarding the reviews of other brand products, she is not reliable at all becuase her opinions are mostly very subjective, biased and her criteria are not scientific. She recommends products, including her owns, containing nasty preservatives like parabens or chemical sunscreens like Octocrylene, Oxybenzon or Octinoxate which are scientifically proven to be hormonally disruptive and not reliable for long exposure, especially if used on daily basis, but criticises some very good natural products only for having some natural ingredients like lemon oil because it could be an irritant for some skins. I know many of the products listed because I have been using them and I can tell, she is mostly completely wrong.

About reviewer (147 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

7 years ago

Sorry lady, when you put your dog in the fight so to speak you lost your credibility. If you really had much to start with. You are pimpin' your own line and that is just wrong. Would I go to Consumer Reports to get info on a potential purchase if they were now producing/selling a competing product? The answer is NO. So who do you think you are fooling? Not the people around here. Not for a second. Go take your cop routine elsewhere. You are fired!

About reviewer (19 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

7 years ago

I didn't mind this book. I found a lot of things useful, but I also found Paula contradicted herself many times. She is against eye creams, but offers eye creams in her skin care line. She also advocates a simple routine excluding toner, yet tries to sell a "skincare line" that includes tons of what she would consider "useless steps". Other than that, she educates you about jar packaging, SPF, PH levels, potent anti-oxidants, and irritants. I found that useful. She does cite scientific studies as well, so its not all a load of crap. As for product ratings, I will loosely heed what she says, but I don't feel the need to buy strictly what she considers a "best" product. I do agree with her when she points out that some natural ingredients are simply not meant for use on the face, such as lavender or citrus extracts. It may smell lovely, but it does nothing but irritate your skin and I have personally had problems with this. In the end, she helped me establish a decent skin care routine with products and ingredients I was unaware even existed, and my skin has never looked better. I will NEVER buy her skin care line though, I think she's pushing her luck there and some would argue her credibility as well. I think she should consider heeding her own advice when it comes to her own skincare line.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

7 years ago

I was given this book as a gift and I just can't read any further. She gives her own entire line of products a perfect rating. Geeee that's not biased at all... She lost all credibility in my eyes after I saw that. Does she think her readers are stupid?

About reviewer (29 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

3.0

7 years ago

This is basically the skin care/cosmetics bible IF you are a PB fan or cluless about the industry. I think it's courageous to expose the skincare/cosmetics industry for the fraud that it is and I appreciate her turning the lights on for the consumers. I learned alot from reading her book regarding the industry as a whole. On the other hand, you have to take her comments with a grain assult, she does own a line and this book is a great marketing to increase her sales. Some of her comments regarding certain lines seem accurate but others are hypocritical and false in my personal opinion. I say hypocritical as in most of the natural lines are discredited because she doesnt seem to agree with plant oils in skincare but fast forward a decade and PB is selling a few "natural" products. I guess she owes some companies an apology! However, she doesn't market them as organic like some of her lying competition so props to her on that. My other issue is she doesn't seem to be on the bandwagon for Vitamin C due to lack of proof but again she is selling some vitamin C in her products. Perhaps the "if you can't beat em, join em" theory kicked in. Based on her books her products are the bomb because the PH factor is included and fragrance is limited. I am so damn curious that I ordered two items from her line and if I love them, I will update my review. I'm not a PB hater by any means, I would even purchase the newest addition just to see what she has to say. Do I not purchase certain products because PB doesn't agree. Not at all but I do enjoy her insight. Pricey book, some parts are worth the read and some are the same thing over and over again.

About reviewer (44 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral