Hourglass Cosmetics Veil Translucent Setting Powder

3.9

MICA, SYNTHETIC SAPPHIRE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, BORON NITRIDE, HDI/ TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, SILICA, DIAMOND POWDER, SORBIC ACID, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE. MAY CONTAIN ( /-): BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492).

I can’t live without a good loose powder for making sure makeup doesn’t shift during long working days and I really had high hopes for this one; I like most Hourglass products and used the Veil foundation for quite a long time (see review there) before being brought back into the Nars fold. BUT. This really wasn’t worth my hard-earned money. The packaging is lovely but it just doesn’t dispense the right amount of powder you need to make it work. Then you end up giving it a shake and before you know where you are, your face is caked in the stuff. Plus, it doesn’t really ‘hold’ anything. So I’m left with an expensive white elephant here! I’ve gone back to Old Faithful - Kiko Milano Invisible Powder. It rocks and at a fraction of the price, guys....

Best powder for dry skin ever and works beautifully to set undereye concealer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Popped in to SpaceNK to repurchase my trusty ByTerry Hyaluronic Hydra Powder, but was unfortunately convinced by one of the staff to try the Hourglass veil setting powder. Having heard mostly positive reviews, I was sold.
If you have normal to oily skin, this is probably not for you. This does not set my makeup... after only an hour or so my foundation and concealer separates and, hello fine lines!!
If you have dry skin, this is probably quite nice. BUT I also suspect this poweder to break me out due to Bismuth Oxychloride which seems to be an ingredient after reading online. If you have sensitive or acne prone skin, I would stay clear of this powder, as a lot of skins are allergic and sensitive to this ingredient.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Initially I wanted to start with a travel size for that powder as, honestly, I probably have too many of them. But discounts and free gifts did their dirty business and I ended up with a huge full-size one.

I love the good matte or semi-matte look but it’s a bit difficult to achieve for me as I’m prone to sweating and my chin is also sometimes prone to oiliness. The funny thing is that otherwise my skin is mostly dry.

Okay, let’s start with cons:
• it’s not travel friendly as it’s big and glossy;
• as with most HG products – there’ll be fingerprints all over;
• the effect doesn’t last all day, can be alright for up to 6h though.

Pros:
• once you’ve found out how to get a medium amount of powder (I shake it slightly while keeping the lid not fully closed) – it’s actually pretty comfortable to use – I’ve lost minimum of powder with this one;
• it’s huge: the amount of powder is over 10g, will last a while;
• the packaging is pretty while impractical;
• it gives the most beautiful healthy finish I’ve ever seen on me achieved with a powder. And I’ve tried plenty of them including the HG pressed powders.

I still think that the powder could be better: especially in terms of having more staying power. And idk if it affects my makeup as I only use the light amount of it during the warm seasons. But overall I really like it and use it often, so unless I find something much better (what I doubt) I’ll repurchase HG Veil powder when it’s over.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is a phenomenal translucent powder! Light and airy, so finely milled, loose powder. It has a very subtle tint, so it’s not pure white. The packaging is well thought out as the others have mentioned, love that there is no wastage, no puff cloud and you only need a small amt to cover your whole face. (usually two dips in the dish with a extra large fluffy brush is the perfect amt for me). I use this to buff all over after I apply my make up and the effect is astounding. Blurred, soft finish, make up melds beautifully in my skin. Buffing with this powder blends sharp edges and calm down any heavy handed bronzer/blush etc. I also use it to set my under eye concealer looks great. I can vouch it does not dry my face out, as I use mostly powder or stick foundations/products. My favourite part abt this product is no photo flashback! Bonus points for that! lol... lasts all day. HG status.
This was recommended by my favourite mua on YouTube, ‘Mel Thompson’ she did me right, no regrets, for me worth the price tag.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Fine powder, makes my make up stays longer.

Definitely a YouTube made me buy it. I don’t really like wearing powder - I have dry combination skin which is prone to a dermatitis. This powder doesn’t look cakey and has a beautiful blurring effect. I also took a few photos, no flash back and it looks I used a filter. Perfect powder. Definitely my favourite.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This was a YouTube made me do it purchase. This is a very expensive powder. The packaging is amazing and it is the most ingenious loose powder container I’ve ever seen. It has a little bubble in the middle so when you dump it upside down with the lid on so powder fills that small space and it’s just the right amount for your face with no mess. It’s amazing. It’s essentially translucent even though it appears to have a tint. It has no coverage at all (which is fine). My issues are it’s claims to blur pores, control oil, and set makeup/increase longevity. Yah...no. This makes my acne scarring on my cheeks look like sunken in craters. And I get oily almost right away. When I apply it I literally don’t see a difference and then an hour later comes the oil and crater face. I’m oily combo, and I don’t think I’m that oily. I don’t blot. But this makes me look terrible. This probably is a powder for dry to normal skin and people with smooth skin. But I do not recommend this if you have pores or any oil at all. I don’t have wrinkles so I can’t attest to that.

Wow, I really love the way this makes my skin look. I admit I am quick to buy something new that has great reviews, and therefore I wind up with a lot of returns since good reviews do not necessarily mean the product will work for me.. This is one product I am so glad to have purchased. I don’t wear foundation. My everyday look is smashbox cc cream, undereye concealer, whatever primer of the day, eyeshadow, mascara, and bronzer. I applied this before my bronzer and my skin looks so.....fantastic! I have some smile lines (juvederm wearing off!) and some undereye lines and this really seems to blur them. I was using Makeupforever setting powder and it can’t hold a candle to this.
Fast forward, 8 hours later and my skin still looks... fantastic! The packaging is nice also, I just tap it and the perfect amount comes out.
Very excited about this one!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a beautiful setting powder with an ingenious packaging design which dispenses the perfect amount of product. Lately I've been trying to avoid setting powders if I can given at 60 years old, my skin is increasingly showing more signs of age despite good skin care, and most setting powders just make me look older. I like that this has a slightly luminous finish and doesn't look matte or dry, although being a powder it still does dry my skin out slightly. I've been alternating this with the Laura Mercier Candlelight Glow finishing powder but this one is nice in that it doesn't add any extra color the way the other one does. It holds up my makeup pretty well for a 12 hour day and doesn't get cakey on me.