Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Matte Foundation

3.5

on 1/7/2019 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This foundation surprised me! Full flawless MATTE coverage without looking cakey. What more can you ask for? Just a few cons -
Couldn't find an expect match to my skin tone. I'm more cool with red undertones and everything seemed to be warm with golden undertones.

Prefer a pump to the applicator

Your skin needs to be seriously moisturized or you WILL look cakey. I suspect this will be a fabulous foundation during the warmer months when my skin isn't as dry

This was my first time using a Tarte foundation and it was a slam dunk.

on 12/2/2018 11:13:00 AM

I COULD NOT believe how amazing this felt on my skin. I have tried almost every foundation available looking for the right one for me. This is it. I put it on and my skin felt amazing. The right amount of coverage. Matte without being drying. I am a c4 at MAC and followed another reviewer's rec to get 22N but it is a little dark for me. I will get the 20S next time. I even took a quick nap and the foundation didn't budge. My forehead got a bit shiny but that's it. Amazing!! The applicator is annoying. I use a spoon to get the foundation for the applicator so I don't contaminate it too much. if they fixed this with a pump, it would be perfect!

on 11/23/2018 4:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Don't like it. Patchy, dry. Texture. Cakey.

Just looks bad on the skin. Like an old cheap foundation from the 80's or something. Could not make this work, no primer in the world could make this look smooth. Don't buy it, it's just not worth it.
Makes skin look older, dry, and flakey. I can't believe that this can look good on anybody.

The concealer is great tho.

So this was the first make-up product that I have ever returned. My best friend recommended this foundation to me and after hearing her raving about it I picked it up. Let me start by saying I do really love the packaging, I really like the applicator for applying the foundation on my face instead of dotting with my fingers like I normally do. However after its on your face all hell breaks loose. This stuff is so drying and patchy that it is unbelievable. On any dry patch on my face this foundation would flake off. Then on my oily nose the foundation literally slid off when I started contouring. So not only did it do absolutely terribly on my dry skin, it also sucked on my oily sections just making it absolutely terrible. But I didn't stop after the first day using it although I should have. I was determined to try and get this foundation to work. I tried three different blending methods to help with the patchiness over three days. I used a beauty blender with was a horrible experience because it either picked the foundation up off my face or it left patchy spots. Then I tried buffing it with a foundation brush which yielded the same results. Then I broke down and used my fingers which is never a good idea and also left terrible coverage. I also switched up my primer routine hoping that would help. I tried using a mattfying primer on my nose in hopes of it keeping the foundation in place, alas it did not. I even tried a hydrating primer on the dry parts hoping to make it less patchy, again it did not. All in all this product is literally the worst foundation to ever be placed on my skin.

on 10/20/2018 7:19:00 PM

When i first found out that tarte was coming out with a shape tape foundation i was more than excited, as the shape tape concealer is my all time fav! But once tarte finally released the swatches i was more than disappointed. They did later on release more shades which made me a little happier and i finally gave this a try. This foundation is supposed to be full coverage, as it can build up to full i would say that it is more of a medium coverage. I am not a big fan of the applicator I personally like my foundations to come with a pump. This foundation comes in two different finishes a matte finish and a hydrating finish. I have only tried the matte, as much as i wanted to fall in love with this I just couldn’t bring myself to do so. It does build up very nicely and it is very compatiable with other brands but there was just something about it that I didn’t like. I didn’t get a full days wear out of it as it did become patchy and redness did start to show through by the end of the day. I personally wouldn’t recommend this foundation, but i have met others who swear by it. I am a HUGE tarte fan and love most of everything that they put out. But this particular foundation just wasn’t for me. For $39 you get 1oz. of product, but it have a feeling that the bottle wouldn’t last very long as you do have to apply quite a bit of product. I will give this another try and maybe change up my routine and see if that helps any, but as of right now i do not like this at all.

on 9/21/2018 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this because it was on sale during ulta 21 days of Beauty for $23. I was wanting to try it so much and figured since the price was great I'd give it a go. I have to admit I've been loving the ordinary coverage foundation lately but hey why not try.
This is also full coverage and actually more so than TO is. Which I like. Since I'm now 48 and starting to finally see some signs of aging mostly very very fine around my eyes. I have always had oily acne prone skin and still do even at this age. I have also been cursed with large pores. I use UD optical illusion primer which I love.
This foundation is much thicker than te TO. It covers everything very well. I'm getting a flawless finish that I love. I use a damp beauty blender to apply. I haven't had any breakouts either. Overall very happy with this. For days I want that totally flawless look I'll be using this. While I still also love the ordinary coverage foundation too for an everyday usage.
If your looking for full coverage give this a try.

on 9/2/2018 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I am nice & super late to the game to finally try this foundation buuuut I have to say that I love it as much as so many others.

The design is definitely a big no-no as I am sure many others have said since the wand in the foundation is pretty much useless unless you don't mind getting bacteria throughout the product. I don't know why they went with this instead of a pump, but it's the one & only issue with an otherwise HG matte foundation.

I was able to find my perfect match in light sand which is advertised as having yellow undertones but I would say it's more neutral to neutral-yellow which cancels out redness really well. I typically purchase neutral ivory/light shades in other foundations both high end & drugstore & this one was a perfect match.

This foundation does take some work to blend since it dries down very quickly but it still blends alright after it dries a bit especially if you're nice and moisturized. I could see it being an issue if you have any patchiness or dry spots though.

I would consider this medium-full coverage, leaning more towards full. It's not the fullest I've ever used & Estee Lauder's Double Wear is probably fuller, but this one looks much more natural and feels good.

This would be a solid 10/10 if it weren't for the design flaw, but it's still a 9.5/10 where natural-looking, great coverage, matte foundations are concerned.

Other pros:
-Covers dark circles fairly well if you don't like putting concealer under your eyes
-Doesn't seem to melt/smudge away if you put a cream blush/highlighter after setting it with powder
-$39 which is on the cheaper end for high end foundation

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this foundation. It goes on smoothly, is easy to apply with brushes, sponges, or fingers, and lasts most of the day. (I say most because I have some fine lines around my mouth that need touching up after eating but this is with all foundations on me, even powders).

I have somewhat sensitive skin while doing a natural retinol treatment and this foundation hasn't caused any breakouts or weird patchy areas. I've worn it every day for the past 2 weeks and no issues. It also plays well with all the other different brands of powder, bronzer, blush, and highlighter I've put on top. No oxidation either!

I'm between NC20 and NC25, leaning closer to NC20, with very yellow undertones. I got the shade Light Neutral which is probably about an NC27. It's just a hair darker than my skin right now so I just mix with a little of my shape tape concealer is Light Sand and it's perfect. I originally swatched the foundation in Light Sand and Light Neutral next to each other and thought Light Sand was going to be the winner. While it is indeed more golden, it was far too light. I would put Light Sand between NC15 and NC20. Light Neutral is described as having pink AND yellow undertones but still works to correct redness and spots without making me look too pink.

The price point is a bit high but you get a LOT of product. Since I wear this everyday it's worth it. Tarte is also cruelty free so that seals the deal.

on 4/2/2018 5:51:00 PM

So i decided to try this after finding out my usual foundation Mac's mineralize (cream version) is about to be discontinued. This foundation is excellent. I have very sensitive skin and it doesn't cause a reaction, furthermore I think it is actually improving my skin, it isn't as dry as usual and seems smoother. It doesn't look cakey although it's high coverage and doesn't really cling to dry patches. I tried to use this with the Shape Tape concealer but found the councealer clung to dry patches and settled into slight creases under my eyes. I ditched the concealer and just use this all over. I also have very dark undereyes but this covers well. I think this might be my new holy grail foundation. I say think as I am going to try the hydrating version.

I'm 28 and do not usually get asked for ID but got asked twice in same day when wearing this which is unusual for me, coincidence ? Lol