Volition Beauty- Prismatic Luminizing Shield

No Image

4.5

on 9/14/2018 4:16:00 PM

TLDR: I like this more as an oil-controlling primer than as a sunscreen.

I've used this as a sunscreen a couple of times, using the recommended 1/4 teaspoon each time. It feels heavy, and there's a drag when I touch my face. I'm used to my Biore Watery Essence which feels like nothing on the skin. The Volition sunscreen takes a while to rub in, and gets gunked up in my brows and hairline, which makes me look like I have gray hair and makes it hard to apply brow products as the sunscreen sticks to brow pencils and wands and doesn't allow my brow products to deposit color. I don't really notice the pearl finish on my face, but it must be there because I can see it on the palms of my hand. I like that it's adding a sheen without being obvious. I think this sunscreen leaves a white cast on my face. I don't notice it after I've rubbed it in, but when I apply foundation on top, my foundation seems to be about a half shade too dark for me even though it matches when I don't wear this sunscreen. I've worn this to the gym, and it doesn't irritate my eyes. It's pretty tenacious, so it would probably do OK as an outdoors sunscreen, but you'll want to use an oil cleanser to remove it.

As an oil-controlling primer, this stuff is amazing. I've never used any other product that's controlled oil as well as this sunscreen. I have combo normal/oily skin, and I had a long day where I had this on for 18 hours, and didn't get any oil breakthrough at all. It was incredible. Also, despite it feeling heavy, it hasn't broken me out, so I will continue to use this as a primer on top of a different sunscreen.

Just a quick note about the packaging: the product is a runny liquid. Typically, for this type of product, I'll dispense it into one hand, put it down upside down so the product doesn't leak out, apply to my face, then cap the bottle after both hands are free. The top of this bottle isn't flat, so it doesn't stay upside down. I had to twist the cap back on with one hand the first time I used it. The next time, I left it lying on its side uncapped, and the liquid didn't leak out, so you don't have to worry about that.

Update: Now that I'm using this strictly as a primer, it doesn't seem to be controlling oil that well. I think the reason is that I'm only applying a small, primer-appropriate amount, whereas when I was using it as sunscreen, I was really coating it on.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this sunscreen! It is about the only one that doesn't make me break out or feel itchy. It's a very light liquid and has a luminous (not chalky or ghosty) finish. I'm very fair-skinned, and it blends in just fine, though sometimes I'll add a tiny drop of Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi or a small amount of Cover FX Custom Color drops if I want more coverage or color. With the color drops or bronzer this will do for a very light foundation substitute with some cream blusher on top.

The downside is that it IS on the expensive side, $35USD for a 1 ounce bottle. But I think it's worth every single penny to have a product that DOES NOT MAKE ME BREAK OUT. I thought a non-acnegenic sunscreen was a unicorn - I went through so many - but I can wear this and have clear skin. I'll gladly pay the $35. Plus it's light and doesn't feel sticky or rough, and blends with bronzer or color drops very well. And has Sephora's "Clean product" label, so it's something I can feel OK rubbing on my skin. This is now my HG sunscreen.

on 5/23/2018 5:24:00 PM

This stuff is amazing. I have honestly always avoided an extra sunscreen for my face under my makeup because I just have always hated the feel of them. The texture of this is smooth, light and super thin - it spreads on evenly and then sort of "sets" and leaves a lovely finish. Not quite matte, but not sparkly either. Just luminous. I had been wearing it under a tinted moisturizer, and then tried it by itself one day and LOVE the finish - it does give just a very slight coverage. Pair with a little concealer and blush and skin looks healthy and lovely. It does have a very, very faint scent - I'd describe it as a powdery scent, but it is nice and fades very quickly. I have super sensitive skin that can break out, and then has caused no problems for me whatsoever. Highly recommend.

I was very excited to purchase the Volition Prismatic Luminizing Shield once it came out. This is a sunscreen that I actually see myself not minding using. So many other sunscreens left my face looking greasy, having a chemical scent, or left my moisturizer underneath pilling. I also love that this is an SPF 50, which is higher than many other sunscreens out there. This doesn't have any of those issues. The only possible issue I could possibly see is if you have dark skin getting washed out. My more detailed review video and swatches can be seen here:

Video Reviews & Tutorials