Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Matte Top Coat

No Image

1 review

on 3/16/2018 5:16:00 PM

I'm a fan of matte topcoats. They keep colors subtle and turn flashy metallics into luxurious satins. They even dry quickly too! Before I got this, i used Essie's Matte For You, which is a fantastic polish that stays matte almost forever, although it gets pretty viscous pretty quickly.

I managed to snag this polish from a Shoppers almost the day it was announced, and still can't find any details about it on any review sites, although it being a Canadian exclusive probably doesn't help. So to help give people some direction, I'm stepping up to write my own review. Hopefully you won't spend half an hour in the nail polish isle desperately thumbing through google to make sure this weird topcoat isn't going to melt your fingers off or whatever.

The applicator is fantastic - One of the things I love about OPI and Sally Hansen is their wide applicators - I'm a guy and a lot of the thinner brushes just aren't wide enough for me to cover my thumbnail (To say nothing of my big toes!), and repeated brushtrokes just make the nail look messy and mottled. It dries quite quickly and lasts well, although my main point of comparison is the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel topcoat, which doesn't have any chips up to a week after, depending on how dainty I've been. The clear bottle is handy for knowing how much I'm using up, so I don't end up without a topcoat. After a month and a half, it doesn't look like it's dried out at all, whereas the Essie topcoat I've had to add drops to a couple times to keep from turning solid.

However, the matte doesn't last forever. After a day or two the polish starts to burnish a bit and you get a bit more light reflection - not as much as the base polish would of course, but more than the essie, which seems to stay matte FOREVER. I plan on doing an experiment where I use different topcoats on different nails to see how they wear. However, what may be lost in matte-ness is more than compensated for in longevity (unless it is in fact my polish skills that have given me longer lasting polish). I can wear this for almost a week before it starts to get a bit chippy, which is good for if I want to turn over my polish faster. It can also be a little bit soft - contact isn't going to scratch or smudge it, but a hard smack against something is likely to take a chunk out of it that other more resilient gloss polishes would be able to soak up.

That said, losing a bit of the matte isn't bad! It allows just enough light to bounce off so that your nails don't stand out as being incredibly matte - it's closer to the amount of sheen and the texture of the light that comes off a natural unpainted nail, making them seem somehow more organic, no matter what color you use. If you're desperate for a full and uncompromising matte, this might frustrate you, but if you want a topcoat that is a little bit more subtle and mellow, this is a VERY good choice. Also great if you have large enough hands that thinner nail polish brushes simply don't leave you covered.

Popular Top/Base Coats