Violet Voss The Rainbow Palette

Violet Voss The Rainbow Palette

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The Rainbow palette contains the following 10 shades: Flamingo (rich pinky red metallic), Peach (dual chrome rusty peach pearl), Buttercup (rich golden gold metallic), Seaform (seafoam green metallic), Figi (exotic aqua metallic), Royal (rich deep blue metallic), Indigo (true purple metallic), Violet (duo-chrome pink pearl), Pearl (sheer iridescent white pearl) and Eclipse (black matte-with-glitter). Violet Voss palettes usually contain 20 shades in 1.6g pans, so this smaller palette has 3.2g pans. The shade Pearl also makes an intense cheek highlight.

None of the permanent Violet Voss palettes made before The Rainbow palette was released contained really vibrant shades (the two more recent palette releases have more punchy shades), so The Rainbow was designed as a companion piece to those palettes, filling in the gaps with the highest customer requests. I'm really into this more compact type of palette now, where almost every shade is something fun and unique, something that doesn't waste space and our money by including the same kind of basic highlight/crease/transition shades that most of us already have over and over again. Technically you can make looks using this palette alone as there is a matte shade here and I've also found that the metallic shades do wear well in the crease, but I have hooded eyes so vastly prefer pulling in matte shadows from elsewhere for crease/transitioning, as there has sometimes been a spot of transfering.

As soon as I tried these shadows, I fell for this palette despite my niggles with it (see below); they are buttery smooth to apply and to blend. All of the shadows are non-fading and I haven't experienced any creasing - I apply them in the morning [no primer] and they'll still look good in the evening, when I remove it. The metallic shades have a bit more kick-up and fallout in comparison to the pearl shadows which have not to none, which isn't a dealbreaker for me but I still thought I'd mention it in case it's a dealbreaker for you. Kick-up and fallout in shadows don't really bother me as I do my eyes before my base - all pigmented & softer shadows have a bit of these issues, so I do think that all good-quality shadows should kick-up a bit.

Unfortunately there is a downside to this palette: the shades Seaform & Fiji aren't hugely dissimilar, and neither are Indigo & Violet - there is a bit of difference, but if you couple the mentioned pairs up onto the lids they'll end up bleeding together. With only 10 pans, the brand should have taken more care with their shade selections - I do love the idea of having more then one shade in the same family [makes it more cohesive], but some shades are just too close. Also; what is the point in the black? This is a companion to the brand's regular palettes, and they all have black and/or other deep matte shades in them, so this shade is needless.

I do think that The Rainbow is a great buy and recommend it to people who enjoy fun shades and don't mind using multiple palettes for one look, but I suggest waiting until you find a discount code or coupon; I'd hesitate to recommend paying the full price as it sorts seems more like a 8-pan palette, but then again similar quality brands charge a similar price for real 8-pan palettes with smaller pans (I'm thinking of Smashbox's Cover Shot palettes), so if you like what you see here then pick up The Rainbow.

Before purchasing this I only owned one other Violet Voss Eye Shadow Palette but when I saw the beautiful unique colors featured in the Rainbow Eye Shadow Palette I had to pick it up. I must say that I am rather impressed with the colors in the Rainbow Palette. Most of them are highly pigmented and very blendable. The shadows lasting power is pretty decent with or without a primer. My only real critique is that a couple of the colors are very close to each other instead of featuring a different color like a bright orange or green. My detailed review and swatches can be seen here:

Video Reviews & Tutorials