Sonia Kashuk Dissolve Gel-to-Oil Makeup Removing Cleanser

1.0

1 review

on 3/8/2018 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

UPDATE: I had had enough of this after about 2 months and washed my 2 tubes of product down the drain. Not sorry, and it unclogged the drain. Thumbs up for that.

This is now a discontinued product in the US, as far as I understand, but you can still get in on Ebay, Amazon, and certain other sites, which is why I would like to review it. I bought it on sale, for $7.49. If I could return it... I would. I do like gel-to-oil cleansers - they are less mess than oils and balms, IMO. However, the consistency of this doesn't make up for all of the negative qualities.

I wear a lot of waterproof, heavy makeup; especially mascara. It is important for me to have a cleanser that dissolves my makeup easily, without much rubbing, that it rinses off completely, without leaving behind a film, that the ingredients are good, and that it feels comfortable to use. Well... this one fails at all of these things. For some people it would be important that the cleanser also does not break them out, but I don't think I've had any cleanser break me out since I was 15 and did not know how to remove makeup properly.

Back to this cleanser. It doesn't cleanser very well - I have to rub this product around for about a whole minute before it dissolves *most* of my makeup, and then use a quite strong foaming cleanser to get the rest off. To really get my makeup off, I have to rub a bit, which is just not good for the skin - any stretching causes more wrinkles down the line. This rinses off *mostly* clean, but not fully, unless I use a foaming cleanser (which I always do). However, there is still some slight residue left. This also stings BADLY if you get it in your eyes. First, I thought it was because there might be some soap in here, but no - there isn't. Whatever creates the stinging is NOT a necessary chemical in here. This also contains polyacrylamide, which is a chemical we avoid to touch in the lab, as it is genotoxic (carcinogenic) and neurotoxic... There are plenty of other gelling agents that can be used to make a gel, so I don't understand why polyacylamide was chosen.

All-in-all, not a cleanser I would recommend to waste your money on; does not clean well, does not feel nice to use