Maybelline Facestudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter - Molten Rose Gold

Maybelline Facestudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter - Molten Rose Gold

4.4

on 7/22/2018 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a pretty shade and the formula goes on smoothly. With all the drugstore sales on Maybelline products, it's fairly easy to get the price on this even lower. If this was the only brand of highlighter available in the drugstore, I'd likely repurchase this again; however, I have a Milani Strobelight in a different shade and comparing the 2, I have to say I think I prefer the Milani formula more than Maybelline. Now when I purchased the Milani Strobelight, there was no shade similar to Molten Rose Gold at the drugstore; however, I see on the Milani website that they sell a shade called "Moon Glow" which looks more like a rose gold tone. Again, nothing wrong with the Maybelline Master Chrome other than I feel even one light layer of this packs a lot of shimmer - maybe a little too much for a daytime look. If you prefer your highlighter to be a tad more subtle during the day, you may prefer the Milani formulation over the Maybelline.

on 6/6/2018 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Got the colors molten gold, molten rose gold, and the white pan one which gives me Lumi finish. I like to layer these with the molten gold, it just looks really nice on my skin tone. You can put it on top of your foundation and have a soft powder highlight or have it flashing bright with putting setting spray on first then applying the highlight.

on 5/30/2018 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

One of the best drugstore highlighters! Beautiful rose gold color that’s not chunky or glittery. I have this one and the gold. Just as good as the high end highlighters at a fraction of the price. The only thing I don’t like is the packaging. It hard to open.

I got this in white/the lightest one. Not sure why there are choices to review every color but the light one.
This is not holographic at all. It just has a lot of big chunks of mica in it and the very smallest tinge of purple hue, but not even almost holographic, I don't like when companies make false claims.
The mica is so big that it's almost glitter or looks like glitter, not shimmer. I feel the need to repeat myself that it's not holographic. It is very shiny and glittery though, very shimmery, but more in a glitter way than shimmer. It makes a nice eyeshadow though. And makes a nice body shimmer. But it's kind of more appropriate for Coachella or going to a club because of all the glitter. I still want to find an actually holograhic drugstore highlight, which so far I can't find.
The rose gold is very dark and a strange color, and the goldish/darkest one is super orange, in my opinion I can't even consider that being gold.

on 4/17/2018 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have accumulated a lot of highlighters and this one is my HG and gets the most use. I usually just put it on my fan brush and apply but I bought the Fix Plus and have used it with that and wow! It's really pretty and not glittery.

on 4/17/2018 9:41:00 AM

Beautiful highlighter, especially at the price point. I don't get too excited about highlighters in general (prob because I have oily skin) but I do have...a few. Lol. What I like about this one is the shade: it's a bright, clean, crisp, neutral rose gold. It is not copper. The pan is huge. It could be a touch creamier & melt into the skin better, but overall it's comparable to most high end powder highlighters I've tried.

It's definitely neutral to my eye, but I have cool-ish olive skin and there is a certain contrast (borderline clash) in tone when I wear this. It works gloriously when I coordinate the rest of my makeup accordingly, but just a heads up for those with similar skin tones. Those with fair peachy skin -- RUN & GET THIS.

It might just be my experience, but this was sort of hard to nab. My Ulta and Walmart didn't have it, but I found it at Target eventually.

on 3/9/2018 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Oh, my. This is beautiful. Looks like I'm glowing on my medium toned face. I don't look oily. It is not blinding, considering that it is marked metallic but it is not. I use a fan brush to apply lightly over my cheap bb cream ( a can't get anymore NYC bb cream) and use my finger to highlight under my brows. I am loving this and have been ignoring all my other highlighters I have bought looking for the one highlighter that's me. Just the right pinky goldish shade that does not turn orange. And it is reasonably priced!

on 3/2/2018 1:50:00 PM

As a pale woman, this is VERY flattering on my skin tone. And it is so readily available and cheap! I am inclined to try more from this range.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I bought this because one of my favorite YouTube gurus, Tati, is over the moon about this highlighter. So I figured for $9.99, WTH, lets see what all the fuss is about. Well, Maybelline hit this one out of the park. It is an amazingly beautiful highlighter.

You get a nice big pan of product and need very little for a nice glow on the skin. This is not glittery or metallic, just very pretty, but you definitely know it's there. Some highlighters can look very aging (hey I'm 54, don't need to look any older than I am), but this one just leaves with a lovely glow on the skin. I am fair skinned (Light in It Cosmetics CC cream), and this doesn't look dirty on the skin or too dark.

Very comparable to some higher end highlighters and probably better than a lot of them. Highly recommended!!

on 2/19/2018 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

Full disclosure: I'm a rose gold junkie; if it's rose gold, I at least consider buying it. Now, as a fair person, neutral leaning cool, I look better in the lighter, rosier end of the spectrum; once it veers into copper territory, I'm out.

I also have a lot of highlighters; I jumped on that bandwagon with a vengeance a couple years ago; for example, I have several Wet n Wild limited edition highlighters, Becca SSPs, ABH Moonchild and Aurora (also a fool for iridescence), a couple of Sleek palettes, several random brands. Oh, and the original Carli Bybel and Golden Sugar Makeup Revolution, both of which are basically rose gold. But, the rose golds in these aren't really highlighter shades on me, too dark/orange and/or glittery.

So when I saw this at the drugstore, I thought, "Oh man, I don't need another highlighter, " (or any more makeup), but kept thinking about it. The only review here was for the Molten Gold. So when a local store had a 30% off coupon, I went for it.

The texture is lovely; soft yet dense and buttery, glowy without being glittery, and melds into the skin without disappearing. In short, pretty much exactly what I wanted! I have very sensitive skin and it has been just fine. The color is rosy-goldy perfection, neither pink nor gold, yet somehow both. I've used it with both very cool blush (Tarte Blushing Bride), and warmer (Stila CC Peach Blossom), and it looked great with both. (I was concerned it might not go well with cooler blush.)

TL;DR: Lovely glowy rose-gold highlighter suitable for light skin tones, neutral (neither cool nor warm).