Pretty Little Palettes - The Vampy One eyeshadow palette

No Image

1 review

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

The Vampy One eyeshadow palette by indie brand Pretty Little Palettes costs £22 and is sold through the misfit cosmetics site. The palette contains eight powder eyeshadows in a mix of matte, metallic and matte glitter finishes: Fang [red metallic], Blade [platinum metallic], Metal [orange-based brown matte], Grave [black matte], Witch [old-gold metallic], Crush [purple metallic], Dusk [bark matte microglitter], and Death [tan matte].

When I recieved my palette I immediately dipped into the red and purple shades and admittedly wasn't blown away, as they both feel thinner compared to everything else. However they apply to the eyes very well (a small stiff-bristled brush, and patting another layer over with a finger is best), considering the price-point, and fact that red and purple shadows are hard to formulate for any brand. I've noticed that Fang applies with a pinky undertone that wasn't noticeable in the pan or swatch,but again, this niggle can also be said for every other metallic red shade of eyeshadow I've used - plus it makes it easier to wear red on the eye. The other two metallic shades do feel awesome and I've got no niggles to note - they are very pigmented and feel like creams. I was surprised by how well Blade works as a browbone highlight, since it leans on the silver side, and Witch is a nice 'work appropriate way to use the Vampy One.

The tan and brown mattes all feel smooth and applied evenly, with only the shade containing micro-glitter having a bit of fallout - but this is another general thing with matte-with-glitter eyeshadow formulas. I've had no other issues or niggles to report.Oh yeah; I want to note that I'm not one for using primer under eyeshadows or dampening my makeup brushes as good quality shadows should be able to be used as they are, and I've had no creasing, or noticeable fading with these shadows. The black matte shadow is a bit more powdery compared to the other shadows in the palette and it is very pigmented, so either do your eye makeup before your base, as it can get messy [or maybe it's just down to me not being used to using very deep shadow shades?].

At first I wasn't too sure want to make of The Vampy One as when I first got it the shades and finishes just seemed randomly shoved together in the palette, so I didn't know where to start from with it. But after swatching everything out and a bit of picturing looks in my head, I was off running with pairing shades and finishes together, even with the shades and finishes I don't usually use - matte black and metallic red. There may only be eight shades in this palette AND those shades are picked around a single theme, but you can still make a variety of looks ranging from day-to-day to night and free time. I also want to note that family and friends who don't usually comment on my makeup have commented on how pretty my eyes looked, when I've been wearing shadows from this palette - and even a few strangers have also complemented my eye makeup.