Schmidt's Naturals Natural Deodorant

Schmidt's Naturals Natural Deodorant

2.8

I got the rose and vanilla scented stick at target on a whim because the scent was so lovely and I had heard good things about the brand so I wanted to like it so bad!! But unfortunately, it became yet another fail On my “find my HG natural deodarant journey” =/
I liked the consistency and creamy application. Granted i did try it during the spring time while it was warmer so it wasn’t hard to apply or as gritty as some of the people claim it was for them. All it took was holding it next to my armpit for a few seconds to warm it up and it glided on smoothly. It did keep the funk at bay and smelled lovely for a while. I loved it for about 3 days and then came the unsightly all too familiar painful red burning rash that came with the previous natural deodarants that I tried (Nooooooooo :’< ) the rash then turned into a super dark spot once the swelling went down a bit but It took me a week to heal the rash and lighten up my pits. Coconut oil and shea butter to the rescue yet again, but yeah... never again... I’ve been down this road before with other natural deodarants and was hoping i wouldn’t have to go through it again but unfortunately I did. Needless to say It was a no go for me and if you have sensitive skin don't even think about Trying it out... however, they do have a sensitive version which i have heard isn’t as harsh so I might be trying it out and will do a future update on that one if I do!

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I’ve been using Schmidt’s natural deodorant now for over a year. I first purchased their regular formula in Vanilla Rose. Within 24 hours I started to develop a rash. Then I tried their hybrid formula, Charcoal Magnesium, because the scent was incredible. It has only half the baking soda as the original and has added magnesium as an alternative as the other half. That lasted about 3 days before I got a rash. So, next I tried their sensitive formula and success! I use the scents Geranium Flower and Waves which is a summer seasonal scent only available online on Schmidt’s website. The sensitive formula is much smoother than the original formula which I found gritty and hard to apply. I only use a couple swipes under each arm and, although I still sweat, the odor is kept at bay for about 10-12 hours, but keep in mind I live in Central Florida. No problems with staining of shirts, but my daughter has. I believe the company recommends thin layers to prevent that. These natural deodorant sticks are heavily laden with various oils and Shea butter etc.

HOWEVER, I found a wonderful natural stick deodorant I like so much better on Etsy by a seller who’s store is called NaturisticBath. I bought the Roses and Vanilla and am in love! This one keeps me drier and odor free longer than Schmidt’s. It’s also easier to apply. Costs a couple bucks more, but that’s ok because it works!!! Got the matching body powder and roll on perfume as well as I like layering my scents after showering.

But, I’ll keep using my Schmidt’s sensitive for variety as the scents I have are lovely and all in all it’s a great product! 👍

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I purchased this in Rose + Vanilla. I absolutely love the smell and it did keep my armpits dry. I used it for a few days before I started reacting to it. I noticed my armpits were starting to itch and I thought maybe it was because I may have irritated them while shaving, no. My armpits NEVER itch so I was already alarmed. The itching progressively got worse and I mean the itching was getting to the point where all I wanted to do was scratch and wash them. I had developed horrible rashes. My skin was bright red and it almost looked like my armpits had burn marks on them.

I have never had a reaction this bad to any product. It took days, maybe even a whole week for everything to go back to normal. Once I stopped using it, the rash went away and the itching stopped completely. I wanted to like this so badly..but no.

I picked up the 3 pack of these in the rose vanilla scent on a whim at Costco for $12. I have tried a few other natural deodorants and they have not worked for me. I sweat a lot and workout regularly so I need one that keeps me dry and doesn't stink. This one is great for that and I find I don't need a lot to keep me dry and smelling fresh. I have not experienced any irritation or under arm darkening as others mentioned. This does have a very strong fake rose scent upon initial application but it does fade to a faint slightly sweet rose smelling scent which I don't mind. My usual old spice in the wolf thorn scent hasn't been working well on me lately and I think I have found my replacement with this one. Well priced for natural deodorant too but I'm not sure if other stores sell it and for what price.

on 6/8/2018 7:52:00 AM

I've tried most of the scents and formulas, and I like all of them - they keep me smelling fine and without irritation. I prefer the sensitive formula though, as I find it easier to apply and also can be used straight after shaving (the bicarbonate of soda can be a little harsh on freshly shaved skin).

I've been using Schmidt's deodorants for a few years now (I alternate sometimes with Pacifica's wipes or my own concoctions) and am very happy with them.

on 5/27/2018 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

It burned and darkened my underarms.

on 5/15/2018 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I found the "Ylang Ylang and Calendula" deodorant at Marshalls for around $5, and picked it up on a whim. (I would normally wear Old Spice for the rest of my days, but for the unfortunate fact that my husband finds it a turn-off ... so I've been mutinously wearing Old Spice albeit lightly, while looking for a non-girly alternative.) I don't know what either ylang-ylang or calendula are supposed to smell like, but to my nose, the stick smells faintly herbal/medicinal, but not in a bad way. The product is a bit thick/cakey- like, I feel as if I have to rub it onto my armpits strongly to make sure enough product transfers to my skin. Also, when I replace the top onto the stick, it cakes around the edges in a messy way. But all of that is manageable in terms of how the deodorant functions: I think it keeps me odor-free through the day. If I lift my arm and do a smell-test, I don't really smell the deodorant, but neither do I smell any body odor. And, honestly, that's good enough for me. I know I *don't* want an overwhelming olfactory flower-fruit-powder bomb from the typical ladies' deodorants, and sadly, Old Spice is not the best option from a marital harmony point of view ... so I think, cautiously, this might be an acceptable alternative. I recently picked up another $5 Schmidt's stick (in "tea tree" scent), so I will use that as well, and update this review if needed. I still have to reconcile myself to the cost; Old Spice is about $4-5 at Target, so I can be okay with $5, but that is contingent on finding it at Marshalls. Otherwise, looks like Schmidt is $9 on Amazon, and that ... seems too expensive, for one stick of deodorant! Sigh.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

IMPORTANT: The regular formula does not work for many people - I also tried the regular formula and had an underarm rash situation going on. Switched to their sensitive formula and have not had any issues since.

I'm a sweaty girl - just to be honest. This deodorant does the best job of any natural deodorant I've tried and even better than a lot of the commercial deodorants on the market. IT IS NOT AN ANTIPERSPIRANT - YOU WILL SWEAT. If that's going to be an issue, this is not the product for you. But, I do think it helps a little with wetness - it does does not take it all away.

I do wish they would make some of the regular formula scents available in the sensitive formula - not too fond of any of the sensitive formula's scents. Due to the softness of the formula I find the container does get a little messy and gross looking at times - not a huge deal, just needs to be wiped down.

on 5/6/2018 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I’ve been curious about switching to a natural deordorant to use when I’m not going to need antiperspirant. I tried a local brand and it burnt the heck out of my armpits and I had terrible rashes, ouch. Friends recommended I give it a try.

This deodorant was able to keep me odor free but not wetness free, as expected. I only used it on days where I wasn’t going to be doing anything too sweaty. I did experience mild burning when I was working out and had forgotten about washing this off. I don’t think natural deodorants and sweating work at all for me. It also stained my clothes a bit, but did wash out.

I’d buy it again. I have the calendula scent and enjoy it. I wouldn’t use this during the summer or working out though. I got it for 4 bucks at TJ Maxx.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

When I made a switch to natural deodorants a while ago now this brand was at the forefront of the movement. I wanted to see what the whole fuss was about so during my visit in Portland (actually where the brand is based!) a while ago now, I brought a couple of jars - rose and vanilla and a bergamot one and ylang-ylang in a stick form. The products are easily accessible in any supermarket (so you don't have to make a pilgrimage to Whole Foods, thank you Portland!)

I'm almost done with my jar of rose and vanilla after 5 months so I can give it an honest review - this is a VERY good natural deodorant but... it tends to stain white clothes, hence just 4 stars.

I don't think everyone can make a switch to a natural deodorant, sorry! Lots depends on the genes (so how you smell naturally), diet (carnivores will smell stronger) and geographical location (if you live in a hot and humid climate you might not enjoy the experience indeed), how much sweat you produce (I'm not a sweaty person but here we're back to the genes again).

It takes a couple of weeks for your armpits to adjust as well. These deodorants do exactly what it says on the box - they protect from the odours but you will still sweat and have (sorry to say that!) wet armpits, just not smelly armpits. But to make these work you need to put some work in too. Diet, personal hygiene (exfoliate! Dead skin cells on the surface of your skin cause bacteria growth and consequently - odours), watching out what you are wearing (no synthetic fabrics that trap sweat and odours) and changing your mindset (it might be difficult to adjust to the fact that you have wet armpits after years of using antiperspirants) all are part of the process.

Lots of people I know who made a switch were complaining that the baking soda used in these made them itch, luckily I did not have that experience. I have not noticed darkening of the armpits either but I exfoliate regularly. The rose deodorant has a dark grey colour like a putty, so yes, when you apply too much of it can give your armpit a colour but then it sinks into the skin with no visible trace. The only minus I noticed was that indeed, it can stain your clothes as it does not protect from actual sweating, like when you're wet, wet under your arm. I need to be VERY careful if I'm wearing my favourite silk blouses - when sweated over, the wet patch will evaporate but the essential oils will leave a trace that needs cleaning at a specialist dry cleaners. Luckily I live in Scotland so I can still easily wear a slip under as an additional layer to trap any moisture as it is not that warm here.

These deodorants are also extremely cheap (£6-7) for the amount you're getting, especially with what is available (and works!) in Britain. My other favourite is a mint deodorant from a British brand Aurelia which I think protects a bit better than Schmidt's but costs 3-4 times as much! Wow! Their £20 jar is also smaller, made of plastic and recently this product is much more difficult to find so I might have to switch to Schmidt's permanently even if I have to but it in UK on line. The consistency of Schmidt's is also drier and more crumbly than Aurelia, I think they use more soda in their recipe and you need a spatula to dig it out of the GLASS jar (and the spatula is supplied, how nice!). It does crumble so you have to work it in your fingers a bit to soften it and to be able to massage it into your armpit (I use it over the bathtub after crumbly bits got smeared all over my white bath mat!). The amount you need is TINY! It smells beautifully with real, fresh roses and as I normally hate rose fragrance this works really well and does not come into conflict with my perfumes.

It protects rather well. Occasionally I get a moist armpit but at the end of the day I do not smell bad. However if I have not had my shower at night to wash it off the skin, I will STINK in the morning like I have never stunk before. So be careful when you're planning to wake up next to your better half! Like this product would amplify any stench you have already produced. Not during the day but overnight, oh my!

When I work out, I tend to carry a small jar filled with the product to be able to use it after my shower. There is also no way to be able to re-use your t-shirt (gross, I know but we're all human) the next day when you're stuck at your bf without a change of clothes. But after a two years of switch I'm very happy and only use antiperspirant for any tough work days (my work involves lots of running around and being presentable at the same time, but only 1-2 times a week and sometimes I have a couple of week gaps) and natural deodorant for most of the week. I'm looking forward to try more brands but Schmidt's is a real classic and rightly so.