TATCHA The Silk Canvas Face Primer

2.8

on 11/10/2018 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I’ve tried to make this product work for several months but I’m realizing it’s just not for my skin type. I’m extremely oily with large pores. Initially, it goes on nicely and smoothes my skin. But within an hour of applying a matte foundation, my skin is shiny and greasy and my pores look like caverns. I’ve tried several other foundations with the same results. There’s something in this primer that makes an already oily person look like they’ve been standing over a deep fryer. This product isn’t cheap, so get a sample before buying.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got a sample from sephora and it lastes me at least a week and a half. I heard it was good for keeping oily skin under control and that it was amazing. It was meh. I think Tatcha suggests that a rice grain size is enough to cover your face. Using the warmth of your fingers spreads it far enough for your whole face. This did not work for me as my skin sucked it up right away. Today I used a liberal sized amount to finish the sample and it really made my foundation look amazing and stay put.......for a while. Then my oily skin did its usual thing. This works great for some women but for me it was not impressive enough to drop 50 plus dollars on it. I think there are better priced options that do something similiar and do it better. Also there is a light scent to the silk canvas. I would say skip it and do research into other options. Glad I got to try it though!

on 9/28/2018 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I got this as a free deluxe sample and then looked up the reviews-not so good. I put it away and forgot about it for a while. I am always looking for primers-I have tried so many and never seen any difference. I think the best I got was a bit more wear time on my makeup, but nothing more. This is a balm and I use my finger to warm it up and then I tap in on my face. I have seen online reviews where people are taking a chunk out of the container and using it that way, and it's much heavier than the way I am using it. I rub my finger on the balm and tap it on. I am not using much and I think this sample will last a very long time.

I can't believe it but it's magical for my mid 40s dry rosacean skin. I look freaking airbrushed. It has filled in any uneven surfaces, has a tint to it so it helps with my redness and my foundation looks great on top. Other than the tatcha mist I haven't been impressed with anything else. But this? Yikes-now I am worried it will be discontinued.

Makes me think about all of the other glowing reviews I would read of a primer and then try it myself and had no luck. And here is a primer with mostly terrible reviews and I look amazing. So glad for free samples.

on 9/4/2018 9:54:00 AM

I'm so in love with many Tatcha products especially the dewy skin mist, it changes my mind from a matte lover to a dewy now. But this one was a dissapointing product for me. It's not bad but not superb considered the high pricetag and all the hype. I have been trying so hard to get this product from abroad since Tatcha not available in my country yet.
The result is similar with benefit porefesional .... smooth , not really fills the pore :(. but this one made my skin look radiant and glowing. When I use this primer there was always someone comments that my makeup up looks great. But when I look at the mirror I feel that it was not as good as people say.
One thing I adored is the packaging, so elegant and feel expensive.

on 9/1/2018 1:07:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

Received a sample in monthly subscription and .... nope. I've tried it with several different liquid foundations/bb creams/tinted lotions. Haven't found any benefit at all that would even remotely justify the Tatcha highway robbery pricing. It's no different, IMO, than several of my other primers - like L'Oreal Studio Secrets. Really, it seems a perfect dupe for L'Oreal.

on 8/27/2018 10:52:00 AM

I've heard so many good reviews and people praising this stuff that I had to give it a try. I had a wedding to go to this past weekend so I bought this in hopes it would help my makeup stay on and smooth out my pores.

The packaging is awful. The disc they give you to scrape product out of the jar is a joke. How is that going to be any more sanitary than someone's fingers if it just sits loose in a drawer or whatever? It isn't. I used my own spatula. The product itself is a creamy waxy consistency, and it definitely works better if you pat it into the skin rather than smearing it on. A little goes a long way, because if you apply too much you'll just feel waxy.

It doesn't do anything for the pores on my nose. It blurred the ones on my cheeks slightly but overall NOT $52 worth of blurring. Did it do anything for my fine lines? No. Extend wear time of makeup? No. Minimize Excess shine? HAHA. No.

What does it do? Other than look good on my vanity, not much. This might be one of those things that works well if you have skin that is near perfect to begin with. I'm 31, I need a little more help than that.

I haven't had this long enough to say a lot. It hasn't broken me out, and it's wax based so it seals in my skincare and keeps makeup out of pores. I'm not sure if it's me or the prod but it makes me a bit patchy on my dry areas. I'll try exfoliating more and see if that helps. I don't see a lot of blur happening, but I do see a bit of color correction and texture refining going on when I wear it. The disc u scrape with should be magnetic so it always sticks to the lid where u can find it. Also a screw on top is just dumb..why not flip? I got primer covered fingers and need to screw a lid on? Dumb. It's really nice packaging though and the primer is nice overall. Is sooo expensive tho. I need to keep using to see if it's cost is justified. There's a lot of primer in there and u don't need much...plus it does ur eye area too. It seems it'll last a long time. Hopefully it won't emphasize my dryness though as these kinds of primers tend to do. Overall, I'm not hating it but also not feeling that crazy price and not seeing amazing results. But I'll give it some time and update.

on 8/9/2018 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Most expensive primer I’ve bought. Beautiful packaging and beautiful story(if you’re into that). Tatcha does a fantastic job of its marketing. everything about this is beautiful even the application process which is odd in the fact that you have to scrap it out of the pan using a disc that is provided. Is this worth it? No. Why?

- very little product for what you pay for. I hit pan after barely using it for one month, everyday use.

- The scrap disc is pretty but this is the most inconvenient primer to use because so. Can’t use fingers, I don’t use my nails(ew). And the line on the disc to lwtbtounknow you’ve scrapped enough is far too much product for my face.
Inconvenient for travel!

- it is good oil control and makeup application but not the best.

Overall: while I do in a way, feel like a geisha using this primer, it is not at all convenient to use, the results are mediocre, most of all it’s waaayyyy overpriced...like all of Tatchas products.

on 7/25/2018 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I struggled to find a primer that could keep my foundation on and for oil control. After debating whether buy it due to the price but I took the plunge and have not regret it one bit! I use the little scraper that comes with it and it just melts in to the skin. I rarely have to blot during the day since I've been using this, and my make up stay in tact until the end of the day. I use it even when I'm not using foundation on the weekends, I pair it with the By Terry CC serum in Sunny Flash for a natural make up free look, as this blurs out my pores a bit. I love this product. I love the story behind this as well. I've recommended this to a friend and she's loving it too! Found my holy grail primer!

This product had been sold out at Sephora for weeks so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I finally got it and I do not really get the hype. I am in my mid 30's with combo skin. I really do not do full coverage foundations because I find they make me look older and really, I just don't need the mask. I was hoping that this would be blurring/perfecting. It was meh at both. It does have a silky texture. It is about a 6 on a scale of 1-10 on the silicone slip meter. I found that it really didn't help my the rest of my makeup stay put. My Tarte primer in a jar does a better job at filling in the imperfections. My Sisley primer holds my makeup and makes my skin feel better at the end of the day. I am going to keep using it when I don't want to mess with two primers for different needs or want to save my $ Sisley primer. At almost $60.00 I thought this was too expensive for what I get out of it. I don't hate it but I probably won't repurchase.