TATCHA The Silk Canvas Face Primer

TATCHA The Silk Canvas Face Primer
The Silk Canvas Face Primer

2.8

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Saccharomyces/Camellia Sinensis Leaf/Cladosiphon Okamuranus/Rice Ferment Filtrate*, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Propanediol, Dimethicone, Ceresin, Titanium Dioxide, Squalane, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sericin, Hydrolyzed Silk, Silk Powder, Caesalpinia Spinosa Fruit Extract, Kappaphycus Alvarezii Extract, Yeast Extract, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Zinc Stearate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-2 Diisostearate, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Disodium Edta, Silica, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Parfum/Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Mica (Ci 77019), Tin Oxide (Ci 77861), Iron Oxide (Ci 77491). *Hadasei-3.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I don't really use primer, so my experience is limited more so than with other products. That being said....

Pros
- Blended easily into the face. It had a bit of a silicone-y feeling, which is not a pro and not really con either.

Cons
- I didn't find my makeup looked any better or stayed on longer when using this. If it doesn't deliver on that, then what exactly is the point of primer?

I will test this out a bit more and update.

on 2/16/2019 7:54:00 PM

This is an “eh” primer for me. Kind of kicking myself for spending the money and not loving it.

The primer itself goes on great and makes my skin feel really smooth. I know some people don’t like the smell, but I don’t mind it. However, for my oily skin and wanting to minimize my pores I don’t know if this primer is really geared toward my needs. If I don’t use additional products, my pores are definitely apparent and as my makeup wears off during the day my oils tend to break things up a little more than with other primers.

However, I can totally see someone with dry skin loving this because it does hydrate. I had noticed that around my mouth/smile lines my matte foundation would sometimes crease. If I applied this more to areas around my mouth, I noticed that I didn’t. That’s a Tatcha primer win for sure, but I also have other primers that are less expensive and handle my “crease” problem just as well. But between handling some textural problems and the great ingredients Tatcha uses they get an extra lippie (otherwise this would have been a 2 lippie rating).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I purchased the full size, and tried it once. I returned. The product works, but has major flaws in my opinion.

First: the scent. It is strong but fresh, I'm not a fan of fragrances on my face as I am sensitive to smell and my skin reacts to most fragrances.

Second:unless you are wearing a full coverage foundation (I don't like to) you are going to see the primer underneath. This is literal spackling for the face. The primer did not melt down into something transparent, it was very white cast. I am super pale, so this is saying something. I also used less than recommend. I saw huge white dots where the primer had filled my pores and fine lines. It wasn't cute.

Third: it's overpriced. I've had primers that did the exact same thing, at a fraction of the price. They also irritated my skin. You get a lot of product, but for $57, I think you are buying prestige.

It helped with my skin texture, but I had to wear a full face to use it. Not my thing. I returned.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got the small size to try out from Sephora. Not impressed at all. Does absolutely nothing for my skin. It doesn’t blur anything. It actually makes me greasy as the day goes on. My skin is textured, dehydrated, and acne prone. I have tried it under different foundations. Full coverage matte foundations, light natural foundations, even a powder foundation. It just doesn’t do anything for the price. Even if was cheaper, I still wouldn’t purchase it. A no go.

on 1/25/2019 12:54:00 PM

I had very high hopes for this primer. I have tried several - Smashbox, Farsali, Cle de Peau, Rimmel, Bioderma. It does a nice job of smoothing my skin, but that’s about it. Smells nice, but doesn’t do anything to help foundation application or staying power. I also feel like increases t-zone shine. Not worth the hype and expensive. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

After all the hype I expected this to be the best primer ever created. What I realize is that each of us has different needs in both skin care and makeup. I have dry skin with a few fine lines on the forehead and my pores are small. What I look for in a primer depends on how my skin is behaving at the time but it’s usually either added hydration or smoothing my skin (or both). This primer is nice, but it’s not my favorite.

The good: lightweight soft smooth texture with a mild scent, does not pill up if you rub other product overtop. Makeup applies and wears well over the primer. Doesn’t clog pores.

The bad: doesn’t fill even the finest of lines on my forehead nor does it extend the wear time (if that is what you hope your primer provides).

The ugly: cost. Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too expensive.

Verdict: If money was no object and I wanted a luxury primer in my collection then I would repurchase however, it doesn’t meet my needs well enough to justify owning.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a deluxe sample size of this at Sephora and was very excited to try it based on Ingrid Nilsen's review on this product. I found that it didn't really do much for me. The texture is wonderful - super soft and velvety and it just melts right into the skin. I haven't seen any long term benefits as Ingrid suggested either. I think it's nice, but not necessary.

on 12/3/2018 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This primer is packaged beautifully and takes a form that is almost the consistency of a hard paste. Tatcha provides the consumer with a tool to scrape out the small amount needed to cover the face. I found I didn’t use it. I bought this after hearing glowing reviews on you tube and elsewhere. As an older woman I am looking for a primer that will help with texture and moisture and I find this is helpful with both to some extent. A younger woman may find this primer enough to assist with these issues but I can’t say I see enough of a result to warrant the high purchase price. I am currently using this up - alternating it with Tarte’s Timeless Primer and some blurring drop I paid way too much money for...what can I say?? Tatcha makes beautiful products - I’m just not sure this is as effective as I need for the money.

on 11/29/2018 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I don't get the hype this has around it. I have normal skin with an oily t-zone. I have large pores and normally don't use a primer as I've yet to be impressed by one. This does nothing. I keep trying it thinking it will do "something" ....it doesn't.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

First off, I do consider this primer to be a luxury item. Therefore, if you have the money and want to splurge on it, then by all means go for it. The best place to get it from is off of QVC which is where I bought mines), because they offer a lot of great deals on TATCHA's products, plus they offer Auto-Delivery as well. If you're not willing to splurge on this primer, then the closest dupe out there to it, is E.LF.'s Poreless Putty Primer, which is way cheaper. They're not completely identical, but they do happen to have a lot of similarities, between the two. And, the directions on how to apply both of them are basically the same, except the E.LF. one doesn't come with a small disc in order to scoop out the product with and it doesn't have an added scent to it. What you snell with the E.L.F. one are the raw ingredients within it only.

The TATCHA Silk Canvas Primer has a lot of claims attached to it, as it's supposed to be a primer, that also offers additional skincare benefits within it. It has a tint to it, so it's not sheer in color, which is why, when putting this on, you must follow the instructions exactly as it says, or else, you will end up with a white looking face, until the product completely settles on ones face. This primer is very concentrated, so a little bit does go a super long way. Now, I do not apply any moisturizer or skincare products underneath, while I am wearing this primer on my face. I do this because I want to receive the full benefits that the primer has to offer, plus, I don't want my face to end up shiny. As, even though I do have dry-to-very dry skin, I don't like to layer too much on it, or else it will make my face shiny, so I apply the primer to my freshly cleansed, bare face, let it set for a minute or 2, and then I proceed to apply my foundation and the rest of my makeup. Even though the primer can be used on the eyelids and lips, I gave never tried it that way, yet. So, I can't speak on how well it works as an eye primer or as a moisturizer for the lips either. However, I can speak on how it works on the regular parts of my face as a primer, and I can say that I think that it works pretty good overall. It has some type of citrusy smell to it, that I am okay with, but I really wish that the primer was fragrance free. Now, this primer will not erase all of your imperfections on your face, and/or make your wrinkles and fine lines look like they've instantly vanished. The only products that can do that are FDA approved ones. But, unlike most primers on the market, this primer, I feels locks on your makeup and keeps it in place, and does provide a super smooth canvas upon which to apply makeup over, however, it can also be worn alone. I cannot speak in regards to this product not ever breaking out someone's face, because any makeup or beauty product has the ability to do such. I do have acne prone skin, and I am on generic Retin A 0.1 cream, to help control my breakouts, however, I still do get breakouts that crop up every now and then, so I can't say that this product is 100% non-comedogenic, however, I have not experienced any massive breakouts with it since I started wearing it under my makeup. I do make sure to take off my makeup as thoroughly as possible with Garnier's Micellar Water, until no traces of makeup is left. Because of this primers consistency and it being different than most primers on the market, it is a must that you use a good makeup remover that will effectively remove everything from off of your face. Because, if not, your not getting your face 1000% clean, you will end up seeing breakouts as a result of such. However, it is recommended that you do a patch test first, to check for any possible allergic reaction. Often that is the part that a lot of people skip, but it is so important that you do not. Because, even though TATCHA is a high-end luxury brand, that doesn't mean that their products are 100% compatible with everyone's skin. Which is why, I would recommend getting a sample of this primer first, at stores where it it is sold within, if available, and, if it ends up working fine for you, to then go ahead and invest in the large size, if you're willing to splurge on such.

When it comes to luxury items, I consider such products to be ones that when you want to really splurge on yourself, then that's what people tend to normally focus on the more expensive high-end brands. However, if you are on a tight budget, then save your money and buy the E.L.F. dupe. This primer retails for $52, which is alot to pay for a face primer, so if you're willing to splurge, then go for it. If not, you can still keep using what you can afford and already love.

I know that there is a lot of hype on the Internet over this primer. However, I actually had sad no, that I wasn't going to buy it due to it's expensive price tag and plus none of the primers that I've tried in the past have super impressed me. Which is why, using a face primer underneath my makeup was honestly something that I had lost interest in, and just wasn't highly interested in using it anymore, until this primer came along, and after heating and reading so many rave reviews about it, I finally decided that I would give it a try. So, if you are someone whose not been super impressed by any of the face primers that you've ever tried, or even if you've never tried a face primer before, I would recommend trying this one out, no matter your skin type, if you have the money to splurge on it.

Oh, and I know the reviews for this primer isn't the best here on MA, but with any product, results will vary, based upon a number of variables, so please always keep that in mind, whenever buying any new product.

I know that this is probably the most hyped up primer ever, that I have come across. So, if you buy it, please get it from a place that allows refunds on used products, if you don't end up liking it.