TATCHA The Silk Canvas Face Primer

2.9

on 12/3/2018 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This primer is packaged beautifully and takes a form that is almost the consistency of a hard paste. Tatcha provides the consumer with a tool to scrape out the small amount needed to cover the face. I found I didn’t use it. I bought this after hearing glowing reviews on you tube and elsewhere. As an older woman I am looking for a primer that will help with texture and moisture and I find this is helpful with both to some extent. A younger woman may find this primer enough to assist with these issues but I can’t say I see enough of a result to warrant the high purchase price. I am currently using this up - alternating it with Tarte’s Timeless Primer and some blurring drop I paid way too much money for...what can I say?? Tatcha makes beautiful products - I’m just not sure this is as effective as I need for the money.

on 11/29/2018 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I don't get the hype this has around it. I have normal skin with an oily t-zone. I have large pores and normally don't use a primer as I've yet to be impressed by one. This does nothing. I keep trying it thinking it will do "something" ....it doesn't.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

First off, I do consider this primer to be a luxury item. Therefore, if you have the money and want to splurge on it, then by all means go for it. The best place to get it from is off of QVC which is where I bought mines), because they offer a lot of great deals on TATCHA's products, plus they offer Auto-Delivery as well. If you're not willing to splurge on this primer, then the closest dupe out there to it, is E.LF.'s Poreless Putty Primer, which is way cheaper. They're not completely identical, but they do happen to have a lot of similarities, between the two. And, the directions on how to apply both of them are basically the same, except the E.LF. one doesn't come with a small disc in order to scoop out the product with and it doesn't have an added scent to it. What you snell with the E.L.F. one are the raw ingredients within it only.

The TATCHA Silk Canvas Primer has a lot of claims attached to it, as it's supposed to be a primer, that also offers additional skincare benefits within it. It has a tint to it, so it's not sheer in color, which is why, when putting this on, you must follow the instructions exactly as it says, or else, you will end up with a white looking face, until the product completely settles on ones face. This primer is very concentrated, so a little bit does go a super long way. Now, I do not apply any moisturizer or skincare products underneath, while I am wearing this primer on my face. I do this because I want to receive the full benefits that the primer has to offer, plus, I don't want my face to end up shiny. As, even though I do have dry-to-very dry skin, I don't like to layer too much on it, or else it will make my face shiny, so I apply the primer to my freshly cleansed, bare face, let it set for a minute or 2, and then I proceed to apply my foundation and the rest of my makeup. Even though the primer can be used on the eyelids and lips, I gave never tried it that way, yet. So, I can't speak on how well it works as an eye primer or as a moisturizer for the lips either. However, I can speak on how it works on the regular parts of my face as a primer, and I can say that I think that it works pretty good overall. It has some type of citrusy smell to it, that I am okay with, but I really wish that the primer was fragrance free. Now, this primer will not erase all of your imperfections on your face, and/or make your wrinkles and fine lines look like they've instantly vanished. The only products that can do that are FDA approved ones. But, unlike most primers on the market, this primer, I feels locks on your makeup and keeps it in place, and does provide a super smooth canvas upon which to apply makeup over, however, it can also be worn alone. I cannot speak in regards to this product not ever breaking out someone's face, because any makeup or beauty product has the ability to do such. I do have acne prone skin, and I am on generic Retin A 0.1 cream, to help control my breakouts, however, I still do get breakouts that crop up every now and then, so I can't say that this product is 100% non-comedogenic, however, I have not experienced any massive breakouts with it since I started wearing it under my makeup. I do make sure to take off my makeup as thoroughly as possible with Garnier's Micellar Water, until no traces of makeup is left. Because of this primers consistency and it being different than most primers on the market, it is a must that you use a good makeup remover that will effectively remove everything from off of your face. Because, if not, your not getting your face 1000% clean, you will end up seeing breakouts as a result of such. However, it is recommended that you do a patch test first, to check for any possible allergic reaction. Often that is the part that a lot of people skip, but it is so important that you do not. Because, even though TATCHA is a high-end luxury brand, that doesn't mean that their products are 100% compatible with everyone's skin. Which is why, I would recommend getting a sample of this primer first, at stores where it it is sold within, if available, and, if it ends up working fine for you, to then go ahead and invest in the large size, if you're willing to splurge on such.

When it comes to luxury items, I consider such products to be ones that when you want to really splurge on yourself, then that's what people tend to normally focus on the more expensive high-end brands. However, if you are on a tight budget, then save your money and buy the E.L.F. dupe. This primer retails for $52, which is alot to pay for a face primer, so if you're willing to splurge, then go for it. If not, you can still keep using what you can afford and already love.

I know that there is a lot of hype on the Internet over this primer. However, I actually had sad no, that I wasn't going to buy it due to it's expensive price tag and plus none of the primers that I've tried in the past have super impressed me. Which is why, using a face primer underneath my makeup was honestly something that I had lost interest in, and just wasn't highly interested in using it anymore, until this primer came along, and after heating and reading so many rave reviews about it, I finally decided that I would give it a try. So, if you are someone whose not been super impressed by any of the face primers that you've ever tried, or even if you've never tried a face primer before, I would recommend trying this one out, no matter your skin type, if you have the money to splurge on it.

Oh, and I know the reviews for this primer isn't the best here on MA, but with any product, results will vary, based upon a number of variables, so please always keep that in mind, whenever buying any new product.

on 11/10/2018 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I’ve tried to make this product work for several months but I’m realizing it’s just not for my skin type. I’m extremely oily with large pores. Initially, it goes on nicely and smoothes my skin. But within an hour of applying a matte foundation, my skin is shiny and greasy and my pores look like caverns. I’ve tried several other foundations with the same results. There’s something in this primer that makes an already oily person look like they’ve been standing over a deep fryer. This product isn’t cheap, so get a sample before buying.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got a sample from sephora and it lastes me at least a week and a half. I heard it was good for keeping oily skin under control and that it was amazing. It was meh. I think Tatcha suggests that a rice grain size is enough to cover your face. Using the warmth of your fingers spreads it far enough for your whole face. This did not work for me as my skin sucked it up right away. Today I used a liberal sized amount to finish the sample and it really made my foundation look amazing and stay put.......for a while. Then my oily skin did its usual thing. This works great for some women but for me it was not impressive enough to drop 50 plus dollars on it. I think there are better priced options that do something similiar and do it better. Also there is a light scent to the silk canvas. I would say skip it and do research into other options. Glad I got to try it though!

on 9/28/2018 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I got this as a free deluxe sample and then looked up the reviews-not so good. I put it away and forgot about it for a while. I am always looking for primers-I have tried so many and never seen any difference. I think the best I got was a bit more wear time on my makeup, but nothing more. This is a balm and I use my finger to warm it up and then I tap in on my face. I have seen online reviews where people are taking a chunk out of the container and using it that way, and it's much heavier than the way I am using it. I rub my finger on the balm and tap it on. I am not using much and I think this sample will last a very long time.

I can't believe it but it's magical for my mid 40s dry rosacean skin. I look freaking airbrushed. It has filled in any uneven surfaces, has a tint to it so it helps with my redness and my foundation looks great on top. Other than the tatcha mist I haven't been impressed with anything else. But this? Yikes-now I am worried it will be discontinued.

Makes me think about all of the other glowing reviews I would read of a primer and then try it myself and had no luck. And here is a primer with mostly terrible reviews and I look amazing. So glad for free samples.

on 9/4/2018 9:54:00 AM

I'm so in love with many Tatcha products especially the dewy skin mist, it changes my mind from a matte lover to a dewy now. But this one was a dissapointing product for me. It's not bad but not superb considered the high pricetag and all the hype. I have been trying so hard to get this product from abroad since Tatcha not available in my country yet.
The result is similar with benefit porefesional .... smooth , not really fills the pore :(. but this one made my skin look radiant and glowing. When I use this primer there was always someone comments that my makeup up looks great. But when I look at the mirror I feel that it was not as good as people say.
One thing I adored is the packaging, so elegant and feel expensive.

on 9/1/2018 1:07:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

Received a sample in monthly subscription and .... nope. I've tried it with several different liquid foundations/bb creams/tinted lotions. Haven't found any benefit at all that would even remotely justify the Tatcha highway robbery pricing. It's no different, IMO, than several of my other primers - like L'Oreal Studio Secrets. Really, it seems a perfect dupe for L'Oreal.

on 8/27/2018 10:52:00 AM

I've heard so many good reviews and people praising this stuff that I had to give it a try. I had a wedding to go to this past weekend so I bought this in hopes it would help my makeup stay on and smooth out my pores.

The packaging is awful. The disc they give you to scrape product out of the jar is a joke. How is that going to be any more sanitary than someone's fingers if it just sits loose in a drawer or whatever? It isn't. I used my own spatula. The product itself is a creamy waxy consistency, and it definitely works better if you pat it into the skin rather than smearing it on. A little goes a long way, because if you apply too much you'll just feel waxy.

It doesn't do anything for the pores on my nose. It blurred the ones on my cheeks slightly but overall NOT $52 worth of blurring. Did it do anything for my fine lines? No. Extend wear time of makeup? No. Minimize Excess shine? HAHA. No.

What does it do? Other than look good on my vanity, not much. This might be one of those things that works well if you have skin that is near perfect to begin with. I'm 31, I need a little more help than that.

I haven't had this long enough to say a lot. It hasn't broken me out, and it's wax based so it seals in my skincare and keeps makeup out of pores. I'm not sure if it's me or the prod but it makes me a bit patchy on my dry areas. I'll try exfoliating more and see if that helps. I don't see a lot of blur happening, but I do see a bit of color correction and texture refining going on when I wear it. The disc u scrape with should be magnetic so it always sticks to the lid where u can find it. Also a screw on top is just dumb..why not flip? I got primer covered fingers and need to screw a lid on? Dumb. It's really nice packaging though and the primer is nice overall. Is sooo expensive tho. I need to keep using to see if it's cost is justified. There's a lot of primer in there and u don't need much...plus it does ur eye area too. It seems it'll last a long time. Hopefully it won't emphasize my dryness though as these kinds of primers tend to do. Overall, I'm not hating it but also not feeling that crazy price and not seeing amazing results. But I'll give it some time and update.