Glossier Birthday Balm Dotcom

1 review

Not tested on animals

Petrolatum, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cera Alba/Beeswax/Cire d'Abeille, Lanolin, Aroma/Flavor, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Silica, Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Sodium Saccharin, Tin Oxide, Limonene, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

I don't get why a lot of people say that the Glossier Balm Dotcoms are just glorified Vaseline when they clearly aren't. Vaseline is straight out petroleum jelly while the Balm Dotcoms have other good ingredients added in (for example the lanolin, beeswax, cupuaƧu fruit extract + butter, castor oil, etc.) which makes it a pretty good lip balm. I personally prefer slightly thick and smooth lip balms like this one, where I can feel it form a protective coating on my dry lips. If you hate lip balms that you can feel while it sits on your lips, then this might not be for you.

This lip balm has very fine multicoloured shimmer that gives the lips a barely noticeable shimmery sheen. I do find the shimmer can somehow get on the facial areas near the mouth, especially the chin (I would love it if Glossier releases a vanilla Balm Dotcom without any shimmer). I don't think you should use this on the anywhere else on the body (like how they advertise it) besides the lips unless you want shimmer particles getting everywhere. The lasting power is pretty good (around 3.5+ hours if I don't eat anything greasy, but I do apply a decently thick layer each time). I use this right after exfoliating, it does a good job of keeping my lips nice and plump. As I am a huge fan of gourmand scents (vanilla, chocolate, etc.), this Birthday Balm Dotcom smells pretty good in my opinion - artificial vanilla that is slightly sweet. However, the scent is only second in comparison to the Jack Black Moisture Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 Shea Butter & Vitamin E, which has a softer, less artificial/cloying vanilla scent.

The Balm Dotcoms need to work on the packaging. If it is in a squeeze tube, it should have those smooth plastic, angled applicators (like in the Jack Black Moisture Therapy Lip Balms) instead of just the scratchy, small tube opening so that it's easy to just directly swipe on the lips. Of course, I can use my fingers but that is inconvenient and unhygienic. There is no difference of it being in this not fully thought out tube vs. being in a pot. Aside from this flaw, the designs on the tube itself are extremely cute.

Would I repurchase this? Probably. However, I really wish that they would fix the packaging. If they do then this would become an awesome product.

Top Rated Lip Treatments