Glossier Birthday Balm Dotcom

4.3

Not tested on animals

Petrolatum, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cera Alba/Beeswax/Cire d'Abeille, Lanolin, Aroma/Flavor, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Silica, Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Sodium Saccharin, Tin Oxide, Limonene, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Hands down favorite lip product. It smells like they shoved a freshly baked vanilla cake into the tube. It soothes and mends extremely well no matter how badly my lips are chapped. The subtle little sparkles are cute, as is the holographic tube itself. The design on the tube flakes off over time but that isn't a deal breaker in any way. Worth every cent.

This is a good value if you like it and get it in the trio and like other flavors (three balms for $30 compared to 1 for $12) or the phase one set if you like the cleanser, moisturizer, AND balm ($40 for all which is a great value in my opinion). Birthday cake tastes yummy yummy usually, but there's been a couple times when it's tasted a little bitter. Also, it separates a little and it will be a little oily when I squeeze the tube, even if I've tried to mix it up before using. And the hydrating feeling doesn't last that long. It is true to birthday cake flavor and does not taste fake though. There are some pluses and minuses, so it depends on if you care more about hydration or flavor.

I don't get why a lot of people say that the Glossier Balm Dotcoms are just glorified Vaseline when they clearly aren't. Vaseline is straight out petroleum jelly while the Balm Dotcoms have other good ingredients added in (for example the lanolin, beeswax, cupuaƧu fruit extract + butter, castor oil, etc.) which makes it a pretty good lip balm. I personally prefer slightly thick and smooth lip balms like this one, where I can feel it form a protective coating on my dry lips. If you hate lip balms that you can feel while it sits on your lips, then this might not be for you.

This lip balm has very fine multicoloured shimmer that gives the lips a barely noticeable shimmery sheen. I do find the shimmer can somehow get on the facial areas near the mouth, especially the chin (I would love it if Glossier releases a vanilla Balm Dotcom without any shimmer). I don't think you should use this on the anywhere else on the body (like how they advertise it) besides the lips unless you want shimmer particles getting everywhere. The lasting power is pretty good (around 3.5+ hours if I don't eat anything greasy, but I do apply a decently thick layer each time). I use this right after exfoliating, it does a good job of keeping my lips nice and plump. As I am a huge fan of gourmand scents (vanilla, chocolate, etc.), this Birthday Balm Dotcom smells pretty good in my opinion - artificial vanilla that is slightly sweet. However, the scent is only second in comparison to the Jack Black Moisture Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 Shea Butter & Vitamin E, which has a softer, less artificial/cloying vanilla scent.

The Balm Dotcoms need to work on the packaging. If it is in a squeeze tube, it should have those smooth plastic, angled applicators (like in the Jack Black Moisture Therapy Lip Balms) instead of just the scratchy, small tube opening so that it's easy to just directly swipe on the lips. Of course, I can use my fingers but that is inconvenient and unhygienic. There is no difference of it being in this not fully thought out tube vs. being in a pot. Aside from this flaw, the designs on the tube itself are extremely cute.

Would I repurchase this? Probably. However, I really wish that they would fix the packaging. If they do then this would become an awesome product.

EDIT: After using this for longer, I've come to realize that I'm most likely allergic to the lanolin in this. Over time my lips formed scaly, dry patches and were red. I got the same reaction after using Bite Beauty's Agave Lip Mask as well, and both of these products have lanolin as a major ingredient. I won't repurchase this again, solely because I am allergic to it. But this is a good lip balm that I will still recommend as long as you are not allergic to lanolin.

Popular Lip Treatments