Tarte Knockout Tingling Toner Treatment

Tarte Knockout Tingling Toner Treatment

2.3

This formula is the closest to the Cult-Status BR P50, just in terms of ingredients. Those of you who are familiar with that product know that it is a "heavy-hitter", recommended for those who have serious acid experience. The Tarte Knockout is similar in that it is a high % of acid, will definitely "tingle"/burn, but will clear anything on your face right up. Seriously, I am used to acid treatments. I've used Drunk Elephants Babyfacial and The Ordinary's Dupe, The Ordinary's 10% Lactic Acid, Good Genes, etc. all with successful results. None of my experience with those products is even comparable to the Tarte Knockout, in my honest opinion. I really enjoy Babyfacial/TO peeling solution, because my skin looks so radiant and clear, but I do experience some peeling afterwards (I have pretty dry/dehydrated skin). I used Knockout not expecting much in terms of results, but when I woke up the next morning my skin was smooth, several healing breakouts had smoothed out, and some of my post-acne red marks were dramatically reduced. This is only a 10% acid complex, so I don't know how it manages to be so much better than any other similar % acid I've tried, but it truly is. I don't use it every night, I alternate with Differin to keep my hormonal acne at bay. BR recommends using P50 2x/day, but I don't see how that can be feasible for anyone without their moisture barrier crying out for help. The same goes for the Knockout treatment, 1x a day is probably the max anyone should be using this. If you are used to low percentage acid products (Pixi Glow Tonic, TO Glycolic Toning Solution) this is going to be a much different experience for you, so go slow and really baby your skin after application. That means lots of moisture and sunscreen. If you are used to acid products, use P50 and are looking for a less expensive alternative, or have pretty tough skin, you should be fine with this. It will tinge, but that is normal for acid products, and unfortunately, for some of the ingredients in this product that can be sensitizing (Horseradish and Onion Extract). That tingle is worth it, and even though Beautypedia claims that any tingling is "irritation and stress", I think as long as you moisturize properly and WEAR SUNSCREEN (seriously, don't skip it), you are fine. Try a sample if you're nervous about the acid %, this product was a game changer for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I had high hopes for this product as several people mentioned it as a possibly more accessible dupe for Biologique Recherche P50. I've never used P50, so I can't compare the products. I use a lot of daily chemical exfoliators (AHA, primarily glycolic). I've also had good experience with the MUAC lactic acid peel in the past, so I decided to give this product a try.

Tingling? Eh. Honestly I didn't feel much on my skin. If you're new to chemical exfoliators, it might be a bit more sting-y.

Did it work? Maybe. I only used it for about a week and during that time I can't say that it seemed to do anything more than my Paula's Choice, PIXI, or MUAC exfoliators do.

Unfortunately, what it did do is give me a whole bunch of tiny, surface whiteheads. I don't have sensitive or acne prone skin and I've never had a reaction like this to a chemical exfoliator in the past. I assume it's either the niacinamide being so high in the ingredients list (I typically don't use products so high in niacinamide), or the more potentially irritating plant extracts they included.

Either way, this product is a miss for me.

The Tarte Knockout Tingling Treatment has many good things going for it, but they have also chosen to include a few iffy ingredients, unfortunately. They have included several great exfoliating acids, as well as niacinamide, that most people can benefit from including in their skincare routine. They have included salicylic, malic, phytic, and lactic acids which are good exfoliators. I like that they have packaged this well so these ingredients will remain effective. I wish Tarte would have chosen to exclude the acetic acid, myrrha resin, and horseradish because these are all proven to be skin sensitizer and irritators. Most of these are near the end of the ingredient which is good, but a lot of the tingling you could be experiencing is your skin being irritated by these ingredients. They have also included Rumex, which there isn't a lot of scientific research that I could find proving that it has any benefit for skin. My more detailed review can be seen here:

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

image