Deciem The Ordinary - Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane

4.2

Squalane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Bisabolol, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil.

I have both the 2% and 5% but I can say that I like the 5% more as it feels more effective. My face looks brighter the next morning and feels softer and clearer. It’s hydrating and works great under any other product

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I love the ordinary for their price and approach to skin care without trying to con you into paying ridiculous prices BUT I do not love this product.
this is a retinoid Ester which are far weaker and personally I saw NO effects from this product but clogged pores from the squalane which feels oily and gross on the skin.
I didn’t get any results even irritation because this does nothing.
I truly believe anybody who thinks this does anything is experiencing a placebo after speaking to my derm who explained how weak this is on its own and you are putting mostly all squalane on your face with this with just a hint of retinoid Ester (which is basically nothing) so to get results from this would be surprising.
I know some people love it though so maybe the squalane hydrating their skin makes them
Look less aged since dry equals aging.. I am no professional and this is just a guess. I do not see any results in anyone’s photos online from reviews either other than hydration.
I think I would stick to retinols instead, I find that I have results within a week to two weeks big results with those.

I will stick to my paualas choice and peter Thomas Roth retinol 1.5 percent which work really great with no irritation at all.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have been using for 3 months, so I can only comment on the shirt term results rather that after 6months of consistent use.

I started this in March and went straight in with 2 nights on and one night off. I now use it every PM. It is a med weight oil, delivered in a dropper type of brown bottle. I do not like the bottle because retinols reduce efficacy once exposed to air and I am very clumsy. So I transferred to an airless pump bottle I bought from eBay and use that.

I use this as a last step in my routine. As a sleeping pac as it were. It does a great job of occluding my skin and I have been able to forgo my silicone Vaniply ointment. I am hesitant to change the order of use as it is so occluding, my other hydrating products might not be effective afterwards.

I did have a purge from this that lasted only a week. I also have noticed an increased balance of skin tone. As for anti aging well I am waiting for the 6 mth mark to make an assessment, but I use this over my face, neck and decollage.

I would also say this helps my other actives work better. Like my AzeliacAcid and even my oils... Trilogy RSO and my Gotu Kola oil.

I might update in another 3months about the anti aging bit (my neck is my gage).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Love. Pure and simple.

My skin is thin, sensitive, prone to redness, breakouts and dry patches. Although it reacts quickly to products, it can sometimes be difficult to make it stay in a good shape. Enter this (or really, any The Ordinary retinoids).

I started with the 2% Retinoid Emulsion, then bought the 2% in Squalane, and finally the 5%. They all give me immediate results, that only get better as the weeks go by. I have had zero irritiation, which was a fear that has kept me from trying retinol-products in the past. My skin looks smoother, less red, less see-through, and breakouts are healed and kept at bay. I only use at night to protect the Vit A from sun exposure.
The Ordinary's retinoids have completely taken over from my former Vit A favourite, Beaute Pacifique Super 3 Booster. Mainly due to being so damn affordable, as well as allowing me to shuffle different strengths and formulations according to my needs.
Winner.

Contains a newer ester of retinoic acid, hydroxypinacolone retinoate, reportedly with similar efficacy but less skin irritation. "Granactive Retinoid" is a brand name.

Let me be very clear, this is not a prescription retinoid nor sold as an OTC medicine so it does not have to adhere to the same strict rules about dosing and effectiveness that medicines do, whether prescribed or over the counter. So if you have genuine concerns about acne or premature aging, you should seek medical advice in the first instance.

With that said, there are studies in medical journals with some evidence to suggest the active ingredient here, hydroxypinacolone retinoate, does have demonstrable anti-acne and skin renewal effects, and is better tolerated on sensitive skin. I have combination/oily skin and am now in my late 20s, so I'm interested in retinols and retinoids for their roles in treatment of acne and in reducing fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation issues. I used the prescription retinoid Differin (generic name adapalene) in my teenage years until my acne settled to mild pre-menstrual flares in my early 20s.

If I compare this product to Differin, it is certainly less irritating and causes less dry skin, flaking, and tingling. The first week of use was the worst in terms of side effects - flaking in crease lines of a morning - but since then has been fine. While it's not a prescription retinoid, it has improved my adult acne in terms of reducing the amount and frequency of closed comedones and deep under the skin spots on my jaw. I have been using niacinamide and salicylic acid at the same time, though.
It is certainly less irritating than any retinol product I have used in the past.

It comes in the Ordinary's typical pipette bottle in brown glass - a nice touch from the Ordinary, to help protect the formulation within from UV rays that can degrade retinoids. There are several retinol & retinoid formulations on offer from the Ordinary, I chose this one since it is the most potent and comes bound in a squalane-containing solution. This is a natural component of the healthy skin's lipid layer and is moisturising, helping to offset the drying effects of retinoids while not clogging pores. It does feel and look oily on, however - this is definitely a PM-only type of product. Don't be alarmed as all oils are not created equally and not all clog pores.

This is quite cheap when compared to popular anti-aging creams on the market, too. But I must stress again - this is not a medicine, so if your skin is particularly sensitive I would urge you to speak to your GP and/or dermatologist about your options, as there are several effective options for topical retinoids these days. And finally - wear sunscreen! It's the most effective anti-aging treatment out there, and you don't want to go to all the trouble of using retinoids and then undoing all that benefit by letting the sun's rays attack your skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I alternate this with the discontinued Retinol 1%. I love them both! The Retinol 1% is a bit strong and can cause irritation, dry & flakiness, while this one is a bit greasy. Makes sense, as it is retinoid in squalene :'). I sandwich this (at night) between TO Buffet and a rosehip oil and I wake up with buttersoft skin the next day and no irritation at all. I have noticed a huge difference in my skin texture since starting with TO's retinol/retinoids, so I can really recommend this!

I've used this and the original one when it came out the first time. I love it I use Tretinoin as well with no problems. The lowest dose Tretinoin for 10 months. I alternate and they work great together. I'd highly recommend this to anyone in their 40's it's a great precursor to Retinal A if your going to do that. I'm a bit upset this isn't as affordable as it first was. Other than that Fantastic . I'm in my 50s my skin is flawless. Just hoping in the long term it helps. My cousin said I'm getting younger. So we'll chuffed. If you react in any way I'd say slowly is the way. I never had any problems at all. I honestly don't think anyone will. But start off once a week then after 2 weeks up to twice a week, and so on.

I've used more expensive retinol products before, without much effect. This product however, delivers so quickly you can't believe it! Overnight my undereye mica were visibly reduced to almost nothing! Together with the AHA 30% BHA 2% peel from same brand, I've transformed my eye area completely. The rest of the face sees benefits too; less visible lines, feeling of suppleness and intense moisture from the squalane. It does feel a bit oily and will make your face a total greaseball for the rest of the night, but oh the feel and look the next morning is amazing! I alternate this with other antioxidant treatments in the PM. Three or four days a week is more than enough to see the benefits.
Also, start slow, it stings like hell the first two applications :) will definitely keep repurchasing forever! I recommend it to anyone looking to try an effective Retinoid product; it's cheap, it's effective, and the stinging/irritation is mild compared to Retinol.

Im new to actives because I have very dry, sensitive and reactive skin but this did not irritate my skin at all. I know that retinoids are a long term thing so I don't see any significant results (been using for a month now) but I'll keep using it since my skin seems to like it.

Not the best product in my opinion, also i love the ordinary and it is really cheap. I think it works to some degree, but is very oily and does not absorb well. I have used couple times a week and it seeems to brighten my skin, but causes some irritation.
I really wanted to like it, but i am gone back to Granactive Retinoid 2% emulsion five times a week, which absorbs much better and irritates my skin less.