theBalm Cosmetics Balm Shelter

4.5

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

At 56, I've been on the hunt for a tinted moisturizer that provides a bit of color, evens out skin tone, and actually moisturizes. Until this purchase, I haven't had much luck. Other tinted moisturizers I've tried have been either:

1) too shiny (supposedly to add a dewy quality to the appearance of skin, but the reflective particles only serve to highlight aging skin on me - and I wind up having to POWDER my nose to counteract it);

2) not moisturizing (with many I've had to moisturize first, then apply the tinted moisturizer - go figure);

3) or more like actual foundation.

After my recent purchase of a $36 tube of what was recommended by an Ulta employee, I was discouraged. The product was really more like a foundation and was not worth the price.

Enter, THE BALM and "Balm Shelter". I was in Kohl's a few days ago and looking over their clearance makeup. Since I've had really great luck with other TheBalm purchases (lips and cheek products), when I saw "Balm Shelter" tinted moisturizer on sale I scooped it up. First off, even full price ($25) it was a far better deal than my recent higher end purchase. This large tube has plenty of product, is highly moisturizing, evens tone, and isn't sparkly or shiny. The dewy, moisturized look I was after was achieved with this product. I'm actually going back to the store to get another tube while it's on sale.

GOOD STUFF!

I purchased this product about half a year ago and I really hated it at the beginning. It looked patchy, it was the wrong shade for my summer skin and dried the hell out of my skin so I just put it in the drawer and kind of forgot about it. HOWEVER, I gave it a second chance about a month ago because I became too pale for my summer foundation and actually it really works for me now. Maybe it's because I hydrate my skin more. It does stay on nicely (a couple of hours without setting spray before it starts creasing) and is very light weight. It is rather sheer (will not cover pimples) but covers redness quite well. I'm not sure if I would repurchase just because I like trying out new things but I do like it.
Overall it is great for good skin regular days when you don't really want to bother with normal foundation.