Too Faced Chocolate Gold Eye Shadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Gold Eye Shadow Palette

4.7

i never really dabbled much with eyeshadow in the past but with time i'm expanding my makeup comfort zone.

too faced was a name i recognized and understood to be a fun brand that still was on par quality-wise with department store products. i chose this specific palette for its color selection; i like shimmer but i also need to look professional. most of these shades suit that purpose. i also like the subtle cocoa scent - gimmicky, sure, but why not, right?

my issue is the fallout. oh my the fallout. now some have said that a primer could be useful but a primer isn't necessary to boost the pigment or prevent creasing. you can eliminate fallout 90% of the time by applying with your fingers as opposed to an eyeshadow brush (i was using a mac brush). i apply foundation with my fingers, but it seems finger paint-y in this context. it's also that much harder to wield control of the color.

all that said, i have received countless compliments from using this palette and my lids are still fresh after ten or more hours of wear. i don't think i'd repurchase this specific one (it'll probably last ages anyway), but i'll revisit too faced in the future.

on 9/8/2018 12:02:00 AM

This is my #1 favorite palette, it sees more use than any other I own except my naked basics. I love every shade and there are a few unique ones that I didn't have in any other.

All the shadows are soft and pigmented, though some of them do apply more intensely with your finger. They all blend very well without fading or becoming muddy. You can create many different looks, day to night. My favorite shades are: Classy & Sassy (rose gold),Money Bags (emerald), New Money (fuchsia), and Chocolate Gold (bright gold). There are only 4 matte shades in the palette, but one of them is a transition shade so you can still get a complete look from it.

You will probably want to use a concealer, primer or even glitter glue on the lid for some of them. It'll help with fallout and give your eyes that extra pop of intensity. I can apply this at 7am and my eyeshadow will be the best part of my makeup in the evening when I get home, still looking flawless.

Out of all the chocolate palettes, this one is (in my opinion) the best. If you're considering any of them and you already have tons of neutrals and mattes get this one!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I had absolutely no intention to buy yet another palette but this was love at first swatch. Glittery shades were SO incredibly pigmented that I just couldn't resist. No regrets though, this is an excellent one.

It has a nice matte transition shade, a nice matte base shade, a brownish matte crease shade to deepen the crease and a pigmented semi-matte black shade to line. Also a good selection of glittery shades to change up your looks. It is the only palette I have that can complete a look by itself. It is very easy to use.

I do have some cons to share, none of which affect my 5 lippie rating:

I'm not a fan of the packaging. It feels too bulky and cheap. If something says GOLD in its name it should at least feel expensive IMO.

I don't like the shades "money bags" (green one) and "new money"(pink one). Not only don't they belong in the color scheme, they are also not as pigmented as the rest of the palette. Feels like they were thrown in just to make the palette look prettier.

There is no applicator which might be a disadvantage for some. (not for me)

When I first read "chocolate gold" I thought it was named after the color scheme. As it turns out, gold is actually listed somewhere in the ingredients. What does gold actually do? It feels a little gimmicky to me...

Aside from all that, this is a very nice palette to have.

I had no intention of buying this palette. I don’t own any of TF chocolate palettes because I’m not that into neutrals- so I don’t need dozens of neutral palettes. When I saw the promo pics I felt indifferent, thought “another neutral palette, groundbreaking”. But I got a coupon from Sephora so I went to store to check out potential buys.
When I saw and swatched Chocolate Gold though- it was an instant love. Those greens, silvers, purples and golds!
This palette looks 10 times better iIRL than on photos.
Formula: The pigmentation of most shades is amazing. They’re very creamy, so I apply shimmers with my finger and the color payoff is great. My top 3 shades are “Chocolate Gold” (intense yellow gold, it’s great it’s one of the two big shades), “Money Bags” (forest green), “Old Money” (copper).
All shimmers look pretty applied all over the lid. I was hoping the fuchsia shade will be equally pigmented, but sadly it’s not. I’ll still reach for it though bc I love pink shadows.
The plastic packaging was a small disappointment- I was expecting metallic case like my Sweet Peach palette has, but the gold part collects fingerprints.
Overall, I’m extremely satisfied with my purchase and absolutely recommend it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Long story short. This is an amazing palette if you like shimmery/metallic eyeshadow. Go get it. 1,000 times over I would repurchase this.
Long story: I am extremely selective in purchasing palettes because I don't like having too many. I've never owned a Two Faced palette because they have never been interesting enough for me. I have been enjoying metallics more lately and I have been looking for a pink metallic specifically. I wasn't even looking at this palette but I swatched Holla for a Dolla and fell in love. I was a little worried that the shadows wouldn't apply as well as they swatched so I got some glitter glue for good measure. Chocolate Gold palette laughs in the face of glitter glue, she does not need it. The metallics are so creamy, vibrant, easy to apply. They are opaque and multidimensional. New Money is everything I was hoping for in a pink sparkly eyeshadow. I never wear green eyeshadow but Money Bags is amazing. I work it to work (a hospital) and got lots of compliments. Like people would stop mid running down the hall to tell me how pretty my eyeshadow was. Rich Girl is so beautiful. I love them all. The mattes are really nice mattes as well. Rollin in Dough is too dark for me to use as a highlight, but it works just fine as an all over lid base shade. The black isn't the richest black ever (like MAC Carbon), but I find that makes it more user friendly. I just love everything about this palette. The only thing I would do is switch out one of the gold shades (as there are a million) for a blue. There needs to be a rich colbalt blue that can hang with Money Bags. I have not enjoyed a palette this much in a while. You can go neutral or hot pink. LOVE.

on 3/3/2018 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Quality wise it doesn't get much better than this. These are just as good if not better than Dior eyeshadow which are my favorite formula.

this palette is absolutelly amazing! it has amazing colors to play with, and I specially love the shinny ones. For those who cant get enough pigmentation, try using your fingers. It comes out beautiful!

on 2/9/2018 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a gorgeous palette and I own many. They all have a silken feel. TF has really stepped up their game. If you spray a little Mac Fix plus on some shades you will get a true foiled look. Don't forget eye primer either. Love this!!!!

For those who have followed Too Faced, the palettes that they've been putting out have been lackluster at best. From a personal standpoint, perhaps quality has suffered due to being bought by Estee Lauder, even though both founders still act as creative directors. Either way, the last couple palettes have been lacking in pigmentation with chalky formulas that were hard to blend.

As always, the packaging is adorable. I like the melted gold effect over the "chocolate bar." Plus, it seems a bit sturdier than previous releases with a bigger mirror.

Scent-wise, they're pleasant, and it's not overpowering. Overall, I didn't notice a ton of kick-back, but the formula seemed rather creamy to the touch when swatched. Pigmentation is a hit or miss though, and the golden-hued shadows needed some building up, and I noticed a bit of fallout during application, so dampen your brush beforehand - it will help if you're looking for a more dramatic color payoff. The mattes were decent, although the black shadow left a bit to be desired, and may need extra layering and blending should this be used. I found them relatively easy to blend, and they lasted throughout the day.

This is an improvement, and I think it's worth purchasing.

on 12/4/2017 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Have no idea why this palette is getting so much hate.. Until you have it in your hands and are creating looks, as opposed to just seeing it in store or online, you have no idea how amazing it really is.. The richness, pigmentation, and buttery feel of these shades are a big wow.. I hear people saying these shades aren't unique. How many twists and tweaks can be made on a purple, gold, rose gold, bronze, silver, taupe, a wearable black etc, that make it a uniquely different shade? Lol... This palette is fabulous..There is a great mix of green, several bronze and golds, fuschia, and several matte shades that take this palette from everyday wearable, to a night out palette .. I've purchased tons of palettes this year from Tarte, KVD, UD, MAC, Colour pop, etc, and this is one of my fav purchases this year.. Definitely recommend.