Essence Shine Shine Shine Wet Look Lipgloss

Essence Shine Shine Shine Wet Look Lipgloss
Shine Shine Shine Wet Look Lipgloss

4.3

on 4/21/2018 6:11:00 PM

I am a new fan of Essence cosmetics, after being so pleased with my first order, I decided to place another. In my latest Essence order, I picked up one gloss in the shade Happiness in a Bottle, it was a pleasant surprise.

My favorite glosses of all time are the NYX butter glosses, specifically the shades Praline and Tiramisu. I have worn these a lot since discovering them almost 2 years ago. I like the smell, the colors, and especially the feel of them on. They are truly buttery, maybe a tad sticky but liked the butteriness so well that I didn't really give it a second thought.

So why am I looking for another gloss? It's because the butter glosses contain mineral oil. I have used products that contain mineral oil for years without ill effects but going forward would like to limit the use of products with mineral oil which led me to try Happiness in a Bottle.

Well, this rivals the butter glosses in my opinion. First off, Happiness in a Bottle is a very close comparison to the NYX butter gloss in Tiramisu colorwise, HIAB is a hair more pink though. The best part though is that it's less sticky, again the texture of the butter glosses don't bother me but the fact that the Essence gloss was less sticky really jumped out. They also feel nice on and last a bit too. I never found the butter glosses to be long lasting but it wasn't an issue, I would just reapply.

Lastly, these are $2.99 where the butter glosses are $5, which to me is still inexpensive for a nice gloss, but the bottle is larger and it appears to have more product. Turns out though the Essence gloss only has .16 fl oz (5 ml) of product, where the butter glosses have .27 fl oz (8 ml) of product. So the butter glosses are more expensive, but you are getting more product in a smaller package.

The only cons I can think of are the shelf life which is only 12 months, where the butter glosses are 18 months, but really not a big deal at the low price. And I am not wild about the applicator, it's okay but I really like the doe foot applicator of the butter glosses better. When you pull the wand out it pulls out a lot of product which many probably prefer, I prefer the opposite which allows me to have better control of how much I apply. I end up wiping quite a bit back on the tube, which oddly I used to do with the Intense Butter glosses. I like shine but not too much shine. After wearing glosses primarily for a number of years I find myself preferring tinted balms and lipsticks lately, but keeping a gloss or two on hand for when the mood strikes. I do have one lip brush, I may just use that to apply this gloss. Another review mentioned the smell, there is a sweet candy type scent to this gloss but once I put it on I don't notice it.

I give this 5 stars, yes I have a couple cons but it's not related to the product itself. Overall I like it quite well and would definitely pick this up again. I am tempted to try more colors but may just stick with this one for now.

ETA - I have been using the Essence gloss a lot lately, overall I still like it. It's a nice gloss which is non sticky. I find the wearing time is about the same as the butter glosses, for me about an hour. I really don't care for the applicator though, it pulls out way too much product and I wipe most of the product back on the tube. I find that for me a little bit is enough, more than that and it's way too much shine for me. Lastly, the packaging is fine but it can get a little messy, and I don't quite understand the need for such a big bottle which give the illusion that you are getting more product but you aren't. I guess this is what I appreciate about the butter gloss packaging, it's much more compact and easier to use, I can just swipe and go.

Still, it's a nice gloss, if you are looking for one that does not contain mineral oil and isn't sticky, this is a good bet. But for me less is better, too much and I am reminded of the Intense Butter Glosses. Another nice product but can get really messy if you use too much. I will probably give the edge to the butter glosses, but will still use my Essence and in all likelihood I would buy this again. It is a nice product despite a few minor quibbles I have with it.

I did pick up a few more colors in this gloss:

So Into It - a brown gloss which almost looks a little taupey, it goes on mostly sheer and looks like. I wanted to compare to Praline of the butter glosses, this is actually a closer relative to Gingersnap. I probably prefer Praline a little more but this one is nice too.

Behind the Scene - this is a clear gloss, I will probably wear this one quite a bit, plus it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to use up one of these. If you are looking for a basic clear gloss this is a good choice.

Bright On - This is a very interesting color that I like a lot, I debated on getting this because it appears frosty, but it reminds me a lot of the old Bonne Bell Shoutin' Sugar lip lite from long ago which was a favorite of mine.. That one was a little more silver where this is kind of a brown taupey silvery shade with shimmer. I really like it but it kind of makes my teeth look yellow, better go search for a whitening toothpaste.

The verdict, still like these glosses and have been wearing them more than I thought I would. Colorwise I probably prefer my butter glosses just a hair more, but the Essence ones that I picked are nice and I like them quite well. They go on pretty sheer but that is okay, probably better for me actually.

on 1/3/2018 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm not into lip glosses and I usually wear matte lipsticks.I decided to by a lipgloss on a whim and because I didn't want to spend a lot on it,I picked up one of essence "shine shine shine lipglosses"in 06 "bright on" shade for 3$ which is a very gorgeous nude
This lipgloss made my idea change and from that day,I started to love lipglosses and now,after buying couple of highend lipglosses,my essence lipgloss is still my favorite.my hubby usually doesn't like nude shades for lip but even he loves it on me
It's very shiny and it's wet look lasts impressively long .as time passes,it's wet look fades but it's color and microglitters last as if I have applid a metalic lipstick which is still very beautiful.I usually apply lipglosses over lipsticks because they usually have very sheer coverage but I can use this baby alone and it gives my lips a dramatic look.it doesn't have a runny texture,it's gooey but doesn't cause a bad feeling on my lips
It's also dslicious and has a lovely smell
Whenever I use it up,I will reurchase and before that time,I'm going to try it's other shades as it has some other great shades too
Highly recommended

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have this in 01 Behind The Scenes. The colorless one.

The good: I was looking for something to use on my matte lipstick occasionally. This does the job and is cheap. It's more on the sticky side than oily side, which might be not preferable for everyone, but for me it's better because the ones that are on the oily side doesn't stay on the lips for long. This one does.

The bad: Really not into the smell. It smells like candy. I would much rather prefer no odor.