Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

Filtered by skin tone : Olive

4.4

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

This was a total miss for me. Did not look good on my skin at all. I found the powder to not be finely milled enough. It just feels cheap and looks worse, to be honest. I don't see the hype. I'll stick to my Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Loose Powder.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: another SA matched me to a shade called Dolce. I haven't bought a full container yet because I have so much of the other two shades. But Dolce is my shade. It's less orange than Olive Sand (which looks like a tan me) and more warm beige than Banana. I can also approximate the same thing by combining Banana with Olive Sand (which I do).

---------

I am an Asian, NC 30-35, combination olive skin. I use Ben nye to finish and set my make up. On my skin, banana is a shade that acts like a translucent powder (the SA says it could also be a highlighting powder for me). I like the packaging because I tip a very little powder into the cap and dust off my kabuki. There is very little excess waste.

Ben Nye Shade called Olive Sand is a good match for my skin. (Looks darker in the jar) If you are like me, this provides a little brightening without any sparkle. It's best to apply to well exfoliated, moisturized skin. I wait until the moisturizer sinks in. If I want more of a matte bronzer glow, I use Topaz which is essentially a setting or finishing powder for those who have darker skin than I do. Darker matte bronzers that are popular now make my face look kind of dull and dirty which is why I like Topaz. I have combination skin, leaning towards dry and this doesn't oxidize. I don't bake, but sometimes I use the Wayne Goss method of powder under foundation (I prefer cinema secrets palette 3 for olive skin). Not cakey esp with CS moisture spray on top.

If talc or mica are anathema to you, I recommend that you not buy ben nye. IMO powder such as this will look cakey unless you apply sparingly with a brush not a pad. The pad picks up too much and cakes onto the pores. I also do not retouch during the day. If my T zone gets shiny, I blot with clean and clear moisture absorb sheets.

Note: if you want to dispense less product, tear off only a corner of the protective sheeting covering the shaker holes. I tore the film off of three holes, but the rest is stuck there.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Don't see the hype. I bought the Banana and Buff and was not impressed. I read about all the raves, Kim.K uses it blah blah blah...and I have the same skin tone as her so I thought it would do the same but not so much. I used it for baking and it didn't do anything for my face except give it an ashy look. But hey every product works differently for other skin types, didn't work for mine.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My first review was that this powder is too peachy, works well for baking, and I own this powder for like 8 months and I've used it ever since I got it. At first I liked it, but I didn't hold up oil for too long. I use this powder alllll the time and for the last 3 months it separates so badly! It applies very uneven no matter what I use or how much I use, it can't prevent laugh lines for more than 2 hours and so does oil. I have combination skin, oily on the t zone, dry around my nose and chin, normal on the rest of my face.
This powder gets very cakey and it clings to dry patches. I bought it because everyone loved it and I've heard only good things about this but it is just a waste of my money. I don't think you should buy it even if you tried it and loved it because after like 4 months the quality drops.. don't know why. And it's hella grey now
Also this is talc based so there will be flashback and breakouts.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Love this powder! I stay matte all day and the finish is beautiful. A bit messy to use, but well worth it.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Had a bit of trouble sourcing this product in Melbourne; most online stores were out of stock so had to fork out $32 for the medium size including postage and handling.
The product itself is fantastic at setting under eye concealers. I have normal skin so I didn't have problems with the oiliness factor and I have quite a few deep lines under my eyes because of their shape and I found that the banana powder didn't seep into them and also stopped my concealer from doing the same. Excellent product, happy to finally jump on board. The packaging though, is one of the most awkward things you will ever use.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have to say this isn't going to work for every skin tone. I think it's a tad too over hyped especially on those with deeper skin tones, it tends to look ashy or just too yellow.
If you're skin is deeper, Ben nye has A LOT deeper toned powders that look so much better. Their Camel or Topaz are great powders which have that richer yellow tone and won't give that ashy look. They have quite a few ones that are deep but I think Camel and Topaz are the more yellow types whereas the others are more reddish or neutral

If you're really fair, doubt it'll work for you since it's quite a medium colored yellow so it may end up making you golden, I guess it could probably work if you mixed it with their white setting powder to get a lighter yellow

I'd say if you're a medium-medium/dark complexion this will work good.
If you're an NC30 this may end up being too dark but if you use a very pale highlight color and set it with this, it will tone down that pale color and make it close to your color/look better. So if you're around an NC30-NC45 then it will work great.

This powder is very finely milled and photographs nicely.
I'd suggest this for all skin types honestly,
BUT I must say its not very good at controlling oil. It's only average.
I think it may be the talc. I personally don't find talc to be good at controlling oil.

Other than that, good product and it's reasonably priced.
I tend to go through this fairly easily with clients and can never get ahold of the larger jar so that's kind of annoying.
I have a few of the powders in different colors and they're all super good quality.
Very silky and I don't have any issue with chalkiness or it getting cakey or even patchy

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This powder will only work if you have skin tone darker than NC 40/ NW 35 + overall great powder

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love this product makes my face glow and is great for setting my foundation I use it has my hilight with my yellow nyx hd concealer great combination the only powder I use on my skin great for olive skin tones and oily skin a little pricey but I don't care well worth it

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Excellent for setting and concealing underye circles. Sometimes I wet my beautyblender and use it as a highlighter. I just put a good amount under my eyes in an inverted triangle down my cheek, down the middle of my nose, top of the lip then let it set for 5-10 minutes. Then I bush it well and it gives off a nice glow. No, you will not turn into Kim K but you will have a nice powder to cover circles. Very finely milled powder, doesn't cake - even on drier skin. And it's cheap for the amount you get. Definitely a must have in my make up arsenal.