Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder - Banana

Filtered by hair type : Straight age: 44-55

3.9

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This looks and feels amazing on the skin. The shaker isn't the best but the product is great.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Oh dear, seems like I am one of the minority here who was underwhelmed with this powder. I purchased this to use over my concealer to give that extra bit of oomph. To be honest, my Australis brand banana powder compact does a better job. This has been hyped to the max and I just didn't feel it lived up to it. At least it is relatively inexpensive.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: another SA matched me to a shade called Dolce. I haven't bought a full container yet because I have so much of the other two shades. But Dolce is my shade. It's less orange than Olive Sand (which looks like a tan me) and more warm beige than Banana. I can also approximate the same thing by combining Banana with Olive Sand (which I do).

---------

I am an Asian, NC 30-35, combination olive skin. I use Ben nye to finish and set my make up. On my skin, banana is a shade that acts like a translucent powder (the SA says it could also be a highlighting powder for me). I like the packaging because I tip a very little powder into the cap and dust off my kabuki. There is very little excess waste.

Ben Nye Shade called Olive Sand is a good match for my skin. (Looks darker in the jar) If you are like me, this provides a little brightening without any sparkle. It's best to apply to well exfoliated, moisturized skin. I wait until the moisturizer sinks in. If I want more of a matte bronzer glow, I use Topaz which is essentially a setting or finishing powder for those who have darker skin than I do. Darker matte bronzers that are popular now make my face look kind of dull and dirty which is why I like Topaz. I have combination skin, leaning towards dry and this doesn't oxidize. I don't bake, but sometimes I use the Wayne Goss method of powder under foundation (I prefer cinema secrets palette 3 for olive skin). Not cakey esp with CS moisture spray on top.

If talc or mica are anathema to you, I recommend that you not buy ben nye. IMO powder such as this will look cakey unless you apply sparingly with a brush not a pad. The pad picks up too much and cakes onto the pores. I also do not retouch during the day. If my T zone gets shiny, I blot with clean and clear moisture absorb sheets.

Note: if you want to dispense less product, tear off only a corner of the protective sheeting covering the shaker holes. I tore the film off of three holes, but the rest is stuck there.

This line is ment for professional artists to use on actors, models etc who do a lot of their work under harsh lights and camera work. That being said the banana powder only 1 in a line of several powders that are made to either match or to be mixed and matched to every skin tone. So if the banana powder is too yellow or dark for you you can mix it with another powder to get the desired results. There is another reviewer on here who has some pretty awesome tips on using the powder. I currently only have a sample from a vendor on ebay. she sells 5gm containers of all the powders that will give you a chance to try and mix tones to find what works for you before you invest in the large size containers. For right now the small one will give me quite a bit for a while. I currently use this to set my under eye concealer or to cover over redness after foundation from a break out or my Retinol treatment. You need to use a fairly fluffy brush to apply this because it can become a cakey mess very quickly. IT's not a product for the apply and go girl. You need to take care using it. The results are awesome and I will repurchase a full size when I run out of the sample.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got some based on the great reviews, I got some and although I love yellow based powder this banana one is way too dark yellow for my light skin tone. Secondly I noticed that , I guess it must be the talc but it gave my skin a dull cak-ey look, I didn't like it at all. Luckily I had some Meow Equlibrium powder on hand , I mixed it and my skin appear super fine and pore-less again. I am very picky about powder and this one is not that fine, it didn't refine my pores and the color is way too dark yellow.

I have been using this product almost forever...wonderful coverage and staying power over foundations. The best way to use it(with any loose powder)is sparingly in layers until desired coverage. I love this because of the yellow which compliments my skintone(Hawaiian mixed race)..as you may know makeup for yellow undertones can be very tricky, but this is wonderful. Does not have that powdered mask feel or look. Packaging is awkward at times, but workable. Overall..Wonderfullll!

I can't believe how well this powder works and how CHEAP it is! There's no way I'm paying what T. LeClerc cost when this stuff works so well. I LOVE IT!