Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive

3.9

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I bought a sample size of this from an ebay seller and so far am liking it. It's a bit drying to use under my eyes but works great on the less dry areas- it's finely milled so the finish is very smooth, and the yellow color (not a problem w/ my skin tone) brightens. For high shine, it's decent. Lasts about as long as the Sonia Kushuk pressed powder but probably not as long as some specialty powders (i presume).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Excellent powder. This goes on very smooth and not the slightest bit cakey or patchy. Good coverage. Matte finish. Very natural-looking. What's more, it is cheap and fragrance free! Only gripe about this product is the yellow banana shade is too dark for very fair-light skintone, not a good match at all. if you have fair skin and dont mind being a bit darker than your natural skintone than you might love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I heard amazing things about this product as a concealer and thought to give it a try....yeah, um no. I used it once and looking in the mirror I looked like I smudged dirt under my eyes! The yellow color did not disguise my dark circles, as promised, it made the discoloration under my eyes WORSE! Maybe I'm not using it correctly, but I'm not impressed at all. Plus, the pricing of this item, in my opinion, is awfully expensive. Luckily, I tried only a small sample and didn't have my money go to waste.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like how yellow this is - if I use it heavily, it's the same colour as my skin (haha!). I use this rarely though. Maybe mostly because of the annoying packaging, but I'd recommend anyone wanting to use this daily to transfer it to some kind of sifter jar, maybe from an old loose powder. My other problem is: this is not as fine as I'd wish. I'm used to reeeeally fine loose powders, like MAC Prep + Prime and Tarte Smooth Operator. Then I try out the Ben Nye powder on my hand, it seems super-fine, but I get a powdery look when I use it to set fluid foundation or concealer.

Great powder if you are on a tight budget, but not for me, as I'm powder-spoilt :P

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

(photos will follow - my camera died)

I was looking for a colour-correcting loose powder and I kept seeing Ben Nye's "Banana" recommended for both women of colour and very light-skinned ladies. That's a very bold statement to make, so I started looking into the powders themselves.

Do I actually need a new powder? Naw. Not reeeally. I've always liked MUFE's HD powder, and I love ELF's version, too and I own both**. I have cream correctors. But I persuaded my debit card that I did actually need it because of my ever-changing skin-tone.

After seeing Ben Nye's powders on Amazon and Ebay, it seemed that the prices were either horrendously expensive ($65 for the smallest size of Luxury Banana? Uh... no) or ridiculously cheap (Oh come on - if the shipping is more expensive than the product something tells me the product itself isn't likely genuine)

So, I went to one of the authorized dealers and ... snap, it was out of stock. They did however have a sale on the Fair translucent powder so I nabbed one, found another dealer and the wait list seemed shorter. I ordered it April 26th and it was shipped on 7th May.

Now there is a learning curve with the Banana powder and you might want to watch a youtube video or three, or visit some of the more reputable blogs for 'how to' and actual examples. You don't need a whole lot of this stuff so the 3 oz container should last you a looooong time.

For me, it sort of "connects' my foundation and concealer, and I can smooth it out to create a very soft glow. You don't want yellow skin unless you're naturally yellow-ish,,,,trust me. I have cirrhosis and I get jaundice at times... that's all the yellow skin I want to deal with thank you very much!

It also "sets" my look without leaving my face dry or cakey - it really is great for me. The price is actually incredible and it is a great investment .

I wish they'd make it easier to use though - the system is very awkward due to a silly lid that has no place being in a grown-up's collection.

Despite that, I give it a well-deserved A.

**(I'm still pouty because I had already bought MUFE when ELF's powder came out and it is truly indistinguishable from the MUFE powder. )

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Excellent for setting and concealing underye circles. Sometimes I wet my beautyblender and use it as a highlighter. I just put a good amount under my eyes in an inverted triangle down my cheek, down the middle of my nose, top of the lip then let it set for 5-10 minutes. Then I bush it well and it gives off a nice glow. No, you will not turn into Kim K but you will have a nice powder to cover circles. Very finely milled powder, doesn't cake - even on drier skin. And it's cheap for the amount you get. Definitely a must have in my make up arsenal.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

The shaker top is a NO. It's annoying as hell trying to get product out. I wish that this was a set powder. Otherwise for myNC50 skin it's great if applied lightly and blended. I use it only for going out on the town as my skin is dry. I'm unsure if I would but it again as MAC Studio Careblend powder seems to do the job just as well and blends better with my darker skin tone.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I really LOVE this product! It's even better than my mufe super matte loose powder. it sets my foundation flawlessly and it feels like i don't wear so many layers of foundation (usually i wear 2 layers) it feels really light in my skin. I bought the 3oz one bcs i heard so many good reviews about this powder, and trust me you don't waste your money on this product, this works magically on you skin lol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This didn't work at all for me, but i am giving it a 3 because I can see it being better for someone with medium-dark to darker skin-tones with normal to very oily skin. FWIW, Im quite fair (though not a true PPP) with what they call peaches and cream complexion (a nice way to say ones skin is pale/light with a tendency to get rosy, or, lets get real, downright ruddy if not careful!). I also have dry skin - especially in colder months.

I bought it in my never-ending quest to find an exact dupe (or better) to the old formula of Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust in Sunlight (circa 2007-08) which was TERRIFIC and HG for me. Sadly, the old formulation is no more and the new one just isnt the same. So I thought Id give this a shot whilst seeing it whilst Halloween shopping at an outrageously well-stocked brick and mortar costume shop in my area.

However, this just wasn't what I was hoping nor looking for. At all. As I said above, Ben Nyes Bella Luxury Powder in Banana" is definitely a YMMV product. I ended up looking like a freak with it on and, yes, the packaging is really quite pitiful. Its too powdery of a consistency in my opinion - much like talcum powder/baby powder except in a banana- yellow. This definitely is a signature Ben Nye product: a total costume and stage-makeup heavy product that looks relatively garish anywhere else unless standing under theatrical lighting like on stage, etc.

Also, based upon my one purchase of Banana, it would seem that the expiry date is visually more important than most other face powders. Unless my item was a dud (doubt it) or Im hallucinating (even more doubtful), the unused makeup in the jar seems to oxidize quicker than other powders Ive tried, as mine grown increasingly more orange-y. Id suggest if you decide to buy it to try to find out how old it is, etc.

Ive thus changed this from a 3-star to a 2-star due it being an overall unfortunate, overhyped, non-stabilized product which makes my 1993 Wet n Wild teenage crap-wear look like luxury items.

My search for an HG soft lemon-yellowish, non-glittery, finishing powder to replace the now DCd old version of Everyday Minerals SUNLIGHT FINISHING POWDER circa 2007 continues. Ill leave this for the professionals, professional actors, at least.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

After much searching and reviews on this "wonder powder" (ok ok I heard it was used on Kim Kardashian..omg how many times have I heard that?!!ohh you too lol)I ordered the small size in the shaker top.I apply it after using Mac F&B (I'm c4 in summer c3 winter)I don't always wear concealer the f&b evens me out for everyday back to the powder..I get a sponge and tip out some product on to back of my hand and dip sponge in powder then dab it under my eyes bridge of nose forehead and chin and I always put in the corners of eyes(not in) I leave it to seep into my skin for a few minutes then buff into with a big fluffy brush.The result is amazing I can't believe the difference it makes it just makes you look so clear and bright and makes you look flawless.I would say that I prime and moisturizer before F&B and after powder I do I light mist with avene thermal water..gives an amazing luminous finish.I want to get the pink powder next.I just want to add that although there is talc in this product it is so finely milled that for me it applys light and I fairly comfortable on the skin.The reason I gave it 2 lippies is because of the product design it's easy to waste the powder comes out fast and freely be careful!