Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

Filtered by skin type : Combination

4.2

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

I have a typical Asian skin tone and I find this powder really suits me. The only problem I have with this product is the packaging. The powder itself is smooth and easy enough to apply with my fat brush.

I have heard all the rave reviews about this powder. It was supposed to be THE POWDER (for medium to deep skin toned girls anyway) to bake with and the 3oz bottle seemed like a heck of a deal. So I ordered one and couldn't wait to try.

The first thing I noticed was that the powder wasn't as finely milled as most of the Youtubers were claiming to be. That's fine with my MAC Fix Plus I could fix the powdery situation easily. For reference I am yellow toned Nc30-35 so I was hoping to use this all over the face to color correct and brighten the face. It is indeed nice to bake underneath the eyes but for some reason using it all over the face did nothing for brightening at all. My NYX Banana Loose Powder was better it seems.

Also the packaging could be tricky for the 3 ounce bottle. I find the best way to use with you for a little bit in the palm of your hands in carefully read the product over a fat powder brush and then brush all over your face. Where is the products is to be expected but for the prizes bottle will last me ages so there's no complaint.

I think overall this is a decent product do you what I was hoping to in terms of color correcting? No. But I think that if you are one tell me a medium to deep skin girl of this powder would not disappoint you and I would probably again if I ever run out. I think overall this is a decent product do you what I was hoping to in terms of color correcting? No. But I think that if you are one tell me a medium to deep skin girl of this powder would not disappoint you and I would probably again if I ever run out.

I was so excited when I bought this powder thinking this is it! Well, I tried liking it but for some reason it doesn't work on my skin. I baked it as what everyone's suggested but by mid day my face looks likes it's all dried out. It looks like the powder is not fine enough. I was so disappointed after a few times using it. Or maybe I was using it in a wrong way? I do still have a lot left and don't know what to do with it now. Such a waste!

This was a total miss for me. Did not look good on my skin at all. I found the powder to not be finely milled enough. It just feels cheap and looks worse, to be honest. I don't see the hype. I'll stick to my Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Loose Powder.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: another SA matched me to a shade called Dolce. I haven't bought a full container yet because I have so much of the other two shades. But Dolce is my shade. It's less orange than Olive Sand (which looks like a tan me) and more warm beige than Banana. I can also approximate the same thing by combining Banana with Olive Sand (which I do).

---------

I am an Asian, NC 30-35, combination olive skin. I use Ben nye to finish and set my make up. On my skin, banana is a shade that acts like a translucent powder (the SA says it could also be a highlighting powder for me). I like the packaging because I tip a very little powder into the cap and dust off my kabuki. There is very little excess waste.

Ben Nye Shade called Olive Sand is a good match for my skin. (Looks darker in the jar) If you are like me, this provides a little brightening without any sparkle. It's best to apply to well exfoliated, moisturized skin. I wait until the moisturizer sinks in. If I want more of a matte bronzer glow, I use Topaz which is essentially a setting or finishing powder for those who have darker skin than I do. Darker matte bronzers that are popular now make my face look kind of dull and dirty which is why I like Topaz. I have combination skin, leaning towards dry and this doesn't oxidize. I don't bake, but sometimes I use the Wayne Goss method of powder under foundation (I prefer cinema secrets palette 3 for olive skin). Not cakey esp with CS moisture spray on top.

If talc or mica are anathema to you, I recommend that you not buy ben nye. IMO powder such as this will look cakey unless you apply sparingly with a brush not a pad. The pad picks up too much and cakes onto the pores. I also do not retouch during the day. If my T zone gets shiny, I blot with clean and clear moisture absorb sheets.

Note: if you want to dispense less product, tear off only a corner of the protective sheeting covering the shaker holes. I tore the film off of three holes, but the rest is stuck there.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

My favourite setting powder for under the eyes. Works well with the baking technique or when dusted lightly over the face. It does have a slight yellow tint when applied but if you have tanned/brown skin it can compliment the complexion so well, however I cannot see this working on fair or deep skin tones without it standing out on the skin. Only downfall is the packaging as it can get a little messy!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This powder is my go too. Im light brown and the banana powder still works for me. I like the full coverage look and it works for me. I use a setting spray afterwards. I dont bake with this powder though cause I feel baking is too much. I would deff buy again.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I love this setting powder. Some setting powders I have tried leave me looking either extremely ashy or like I have a serious cocaine addiction (MUFE, I'm looking at you!), but the yellow in this neutralizes with your skin and doesn't show on flash photography. I use this when I bake on my T-Zone area and it does an amazing job on highlighting and controlling oil. This retails for $20 - 25 in my area, which isn't bad, and it lasts me for quite a long time. I'm very glad I came across this.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My first review was that this powder is too peachy, works well for baking, and I own this powder for like 8 months and I've used it ever since I got it. At first I liked it, but I didn't hold up oil for too long. I use this powder alllll the time and for the last 3 months it separates so badly! It applies very uneven no matter what I use or how much I use, it can't prevent laugh lines for more than 2 hours and so does oil. I have combination skin, oily on the t zone, dry around my nose and chin, normal on the rest of my face.
This powder gets very cakey and it clings to dry patches. I bought it because everyone loved it and I've heard only good things about this but it is just a waste of my money. I don't think you should buy it even if you tried it and loved it because after like 4 months the quality drops.. don't know why. And it's hella grey now
Also this is talc based so there will be flashback and breakouts.

I really like this powder, I do. It's nice to be able to set my makeup with a powder that suits my yellow undertones. It doesn't perform well on a sweaty face but that's a small issue.

My only major problem with this product is that, if you leave it on your brushes for too long, it will stain the bristles. Just washed my RT buffing brush and the ends are a pale yellow. I'm going to try and clean it again with a stronger soap and hope it'll all wash out.