Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder - Banana

Filtered by age: 44-55

3.9

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

This powder only gets one star because I purchased a too light foundation and the powder added enough shade to make it wearable every though the whole day everyone kept asking me if I was ill

I have heard such great things about this banana powder but all it did was dry my skin out and no matter how much hydrating spray I added to my skin during the day it just go dryer.

I couldn't wait to get home to wash my face and slather it in moisturiser.

Definitely a powder for our ladies out their with oiler skin. Certainly not for mature, dry, older skin like my own.

The other thing I didn't like is the bottle, I like to tap my brush into my finishing powder, this is like a talc powder application and there was yellow powder every where, no control of the amount you would like to apply to your face.

If you would like to try fantastic Banana Powder, you cannot go past Australis they make the best setting powder, which doesn't dry your skin out or settle in your pores.

I was so excited when I bought this powder thinking this is it! Well, I tried liking it but for some reason it doesn't work on my skin. I baked it as what everyone's suggested but by mid day my face looks likes it's all dried out. It looks like the powder is not fine enough. I was so disappointed after a few times using it. Or maybe I was using it in a wrong way? I do still have a lot left and don't know what to do with it now. Such a waste!

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got some based on the great reviews, I got some and although I love yellow based powder this banana one is way too dark yellow for my light skin tone. Secondly I noticed that , I guess it must be the talc but it gave my skin a dull cak-ey look, I didn't like it at all. Luckily I had some Meow Equlibrium powder on hand , I mixed it and my skin appear super fine and pore-less again. I am very picky about powder and this one is not that fine, it didn't refine my pores and the color is way too dark yellow.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Oh dear, seems like I am one of the minority here who was underwhelmed with this powder. I purchased this to use over my concealer to give that extra bit of oomph. To be honest, my Australis brand banana powder compact does a better job. This has been hyped to the max and I just didn't feel it lived up to it. At least it is relatively inexpensive.

I don't hate this product, I just find it mediocre. I'm light/med and have been using this powder for about 3 weeks. The color is fine, but truly don't see what all the hype is about. It sets my foundation/concealor just like any other powder I have used. The price is good, there's alot of product in that little shaker jar. I may repurchase because of price alone but not because its a better than average product.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This looks and feels amazing on the skin. The shaker isn't the best but the product is great.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

EDIT: another SA matched me to a shade called Dolce. I haven't bought a full container yet because I have so much of the other two shades. But Dolce is my shade. It's less orange than Olive Sand (which looks like a tan me) and more warm beige than Banana. I can also approximate the same thing by combining Banana with Olive Sand (which I do).

---------

I am an Asian, NC 30-35, combination olive skin. I use Ben nye to finish and set my make up. On my skin, banana is a shade that acts like a translucent powder (the SA says it could also be a highlighting powder for me). I like the packaging because I tip a very little powder into the cap and dust off my kabuki. There is very little excess waste.

Ben Nye Shade called Olive Sand is a good match for my skin. (Looks darker in the jar) If you are like me, this provides a little brightening without any sparkle. It's best to apply to well exfoliated, moisturized skin. I wait until the moisturizer sinks in. If I want more of a matte bronzer glow, I use Topaz which is essentially a setting or finishing powder for those who have darker skin than I do. Darker matte bronzers that are popular now make my face look kind of dull and dirty which is why I like Topaz. I have combination skin, leaning towards dry and this doesn't oxidize. I don't bake, but sometimes I use the Wayne Goss method of powder under foundation (I prefer cinema secrets palette 3 for olive skin). Not cakey esp with CS moisture spray on top.

If talc or mica are anathema to you, I recommend that you not buy ben nye. IMO powder such as this will look cakey unless you apply sparingly with a brush not a pad. The pad picks up too much and cakes onto the pores. I also do not retouch during the day. If my T zone gets shiny, I blot with clean and clear moisture absorb sheets.

Note: if you want to dispense less product, tear off only a corner of the protective sheeting covering the shaker holes. I tore the film off of three holes, but the rest is stuck there.

Well I finally managed to get my hands on this product and so I can write a review. The first thing to note is that this powder despite the name is not yellow. It's more like an apricot shade. So on lighter skins, it can definitely make you look orange. I don't think it's intended for light skins. I am about NC20 or between NC20-25, and I can just about use this with great care and applying a bare minimum with a brush. It does counteract redness a little (which is why I wanted to try it). I applied it carefully on top of a sunscreen-TM mix which left me with a slightly white face, and it brought my face back to a "normal" colour. The texture is very fine, and otherwise I can say it's a very good powder, but no miracle product. It's quite comparable to my Laura Mercier loose powder in terms of texture. Oil control - fine, not extraordinary. So I could easily buy this again, but given the colour is not a slam-dunk for my skin tone, I may buy another shade from Ben Nye. The price is excellent for the quantity and quality of product that you do get.

My Daughter bought a sample of this from ebay as wasn't sure she would
like it but she absolutely loves it, she has oily skin and this helps keep her
make up in place and lasts ages. My warning is that if you buy a sample
from ebay watch how much you are actually getting. My Daughter bought
a 5g sample which came in a 5ml pot which was filled to the top.
She was told by her boyfriend that 5g would not fit into a 5ml pot (He's a pharmacist)
so she weighed it and there was only approx 3.5g. So make sure if you order a sample
that the pot they send you is at least a 10ml pot. She reported it but ebay did nothing
and seller denied it but did offer a refund. I have also been told that there is a lot
of fake Ben Nye on ebay so be careful. Luckily my daughter's was genuine even though
the amount was wrong.

She loves the powder and has been out and bought a small Jar which will last her ages
as you only need a small amount.

This line is ment for professional artists to use on actors, models etc who do a lot of their work under harsh lights and camera work. That being said the banana powder only 1 in a line of several powders that are made to either match or to be mixed and matched to every skin tone. So if the banana powder is too yellow or dark for you you can mix it with another powder to get the desired results. There is another reviewer on here who has some pretty awesome tips on using the powder. I currently only have a sample from a vendor on ebay. she sells 5gm containers of all the powders that will give you a chance to try and mix tones to find what works for you before you invest in the large size containers. For right now the small one will give me quite a bit for a while. I currently use this to set my under eye concealer or to cover over redness after foundation from a break out or my Retinol treatment. You need to use a fairly fluffy brush to apply this because it can become a cakey mess very quickly. IT's not a product for the apply and go girl. You need to take care using it. The results are awesome and I will repurchase a full size when I run out of the sample.