Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder - Banana

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

3.5

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

This powder only gets one star because I purchased a too light foundation and the powder added enough shade to make it wearable every though the whole day everyone kept asking me if I was ill

I have heard such great things about this banana powder but all it did was dry my skin out and no matter how much hydrating spray I added to my skin during the day it just go dryer.

I couldn't wait to get home to wash my face and slather it in moisturiser.

Definitely a powder for our ladies out their with oiler skin. Certainly not for mature, dry, older skin like my own.

The other thing I didn't like is the bottle, I like to tap my brush into my finishing powder, this is like a talc powder application and there was yellow powder every where, no control of the amount you would like to apply to your face.

If you would like to try fantastic Banana Powder, you cannot go past Australis they make the best setting powder, which doesn't dry your skin out or settle in your pores.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I apologise that my review is so long but REALLY WORTH READING!

Just look at those ingredients! talc, zinc stearate, corn starch, rice starch, iron oxides (color), diazoludinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, and fragrance

Talc (quote from cancer.org website) "It has been suggested that talcum powder might cause cancer in the ovaries if the powder particles (applied to the genital area or on sanitary napkins, diaphragms, or condoms) were to travel through the vagina, uterus, and fallopian tubes to the ovary. (...)Some studies of talc miners and millers have suggested an increased risk of lung cancer and other respiratory diseases, while others have found no increase in lung cancer risk."
Did you know that your favourite powder can contain asbestos?

Diazolidinyl Urea is FORMALDEHYDE derivative, Ill give you quote from ewg.org:
"The International Agency for Research on Carcinogens (IARC) has classified formaldehyde as 'carcinogenic to humans,' and the U.S. National Toxicology Program has classified it as 'reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen,' based on emerging evidence in humans and robust evidence in animals (IARC 2004; NTP 2005). Occupational exposures to formaldehyde gas are linked to nasal and nasopharyngeal cancers (IARC 2004; NTP 2005). Animal studies confirm this link, and also suggest an association between formaldehyde in drinking water and stomach and gastrointestinal cancer and leukemia (NTP 2005)."

Parabens are known to almost all of you so I won't say more.

Everyone likes fragranced cosmetics (my nose like them too) but some can be allergic.

I used banana few times without looking at ingredients, it is well pigmented and covers natural pink cheeks. However, there are many more (check mineral makeup) powders what are not harmful to us and I will stick to them.

Thanks for reading
I really hope it will help someone
Paula

I read glowing reviews of Ben Nyes Banana Powder so thought I would try it. Big mistake. Despite what other reviewers say, if you are fair skinned like me this powder will have a yellow cast to it. Also, I have sensitive, allergy prone skin and mild rosacea. The second this powder hit my face, my face turned pink. It also caused me to breakout. If you have rosacea or sensitive skin it won't tone down redness, it will exacerbate it. If you have problem skin like me, I recommend you stay away from this product.

This didn't work at all for me, but i am giving it a 3 because I can see it being better for someone with medium-dark to darker skin-tones with normal to very oily skin. FWIW, I’m quite fair (though not a true PPP) with what they call ‘peaches and cream’ complexion (a nice way to say ones skin is pale/light with a tendency to get rosy, or, lets get real, downright ruddy if not careful!). I also have dry skin - especially in colder months.

I bought it in my never-ending quest to find an exact dupe (or better) to the old formula of Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust in Sunlight (circa 2007-08) which was TERRIFIC and HG for me. Sadly, the old formulation is no more and the new one just isn’t the same. So I thought I’d give this a shot whilst seeing it whilst Halloween shopping at an outrageously well-stocked brick and mortar costume shop in my area.

However, this just wasn't what I was hoping nor looking for. At all. As I said above, Ben Nye’s Bella Luxury Powder in ”Banana" is definitely a YMMV product. I ended up looking like a freak with it on and, yes, the packaging is really quite pitiful. It’s too powdery of a consistency in my opinion - much like talcum powder/baby powder except in a banana- yellow. This definitely is a signature Ben Nye product: a total costume and stage-makeup heavy product that looks relatively garish anywhere else unless standing under theatrical lighting like on stage, etc.

Also, based upon my one purchase of Banana, it would seem that the expiry date is visually more important than most other face powders. Unless my item was a dud (doubt it) or I’m hallucinating (even more doubtful), the unused makeup in the jar seems to oxidize quicker than other powders I’ve tried, as mine grown increasingly more orange-y. I’d suggest if you decide to buy it to try to find out how old it is, etc.

I’ve thus changed this from a 3-star to a 2-star due it being an overall unfortunate, overhyped, non-stabilized product which makes my 1993 Wet n’ Wild teenage crap-wear look like luxury items.

My search for an HG soft lemon-yellowish, non-glittery, finishing powder to replace the now DC’d old version of Everyday Minerals ”SUNLIGHT FINISHING POWDER” circa 2007 continues. I’ll leave this for the professionals, professional actors, at least.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

To be perfectly honest, this is a cheap product and it is NOT the holy grail that everyone makes it out to be! It is a simple translucent setting powder - that's it. It is not a miracle worker that will instantly turn you into Kim Kardashian (sorry).

The bottle it comes in is just a cheap plastic bottle; for the price point that's totally fine but it's a pain to get it out of the sifter top without it going absolutely everywhere or releasing more product than you need. The powder is categorised as being translucent with a tinge of pigment - not a lot, you won't get a heavy (or even a medium) coverage with this, though it is not suitable for all skin tones, despite what some people believe! If you have very dark skin, this will make you ashy.

It's fine if you just want a facial setting powder but don't be fooled into thinking this will solve all your problems. It is just a loose powder. That's it!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I can't fall in love with this powder. I know it's meant for deeper skin tones than mine, but I thought it might be a nice corrective powder for my under eyes, or for setting foundation that is too pink on me (aka nearly everything from the drugstore). I just find that my concealer under my eyes creases when I use this to set it, and it also clings to any areas of my face that have concealer applied to them, and oxidizes throughout the day. I end up with yellowy looking patches where I've concealed. It does do a great job at getting rid of the redness in my cheeks, but so does just about any powder with a hint of coverage to it. I find that the packaging is also a nightmare to work with.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got some based on the great reviews, I got some and although I love yellow based powder this banana one is way too dark yellow for my light skin tone. Secondly I noticed that , I guess it must be the talc but it gave my skin a dull cak-ey look, I didn't like it at all. Luckily I had some Meow Equlibrium powder on hand , I mixed it and my skin appear super fine and pore-less again. I am very picky about powder and this one is not that fine, it didn't refine my pores and the color is way too dark yellow.

hate packaging messy so annoying to use color fits my skin but emphasis any dryness i have on corner areas and sets to any creases. I tend to have combination skin due to packaging and having to be careful where I apply it's a rather for me

I have a typical Asian skin tone and I find this powder really suits me. The only problem I have with this product is the packaging. The powder itself is smooth and easy enough to apply with my fat brush.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Oh dear, seems like I am one of the minority here who was underwhelmed with this powder. I purchased this to use over my concealer to give that extra bit of oomph. To be honest, my Australis brand banana powder compact does a better job. This has been hyped to the max and I just didn't feel it lived up to it. At least it is relatively inexpensive.