Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

4.2

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Light yellow loose powder. Comes in different sizes, from 1.5 to 3 ounces. Around $7-$10, respectively.

PACKAGING Banana Visage comes in a shaker bottle that works the same way as a pepper/salt dispenser. I have mixed feelings about it. At home, it is inconvenient because I have to tap powder into a separate container I can dip my powder brush into. However, the shaker bottle works very well for travel. The packaging makes it a lot less likely that you will end up with powder flying around when you take off the cap.

COLOR Banana Visage has a noticeable neutral yellow color. It looks fantastic on my medium gold Asian skintone. It makes my face look more radiant whereas other loose powders can leave a dull white cast.

TEXTURE Ooh. This powder is very finely-milled. It is most definitely comparable to high-end loose powders. When the bottle is shaken, the loose powder moves almost like a liquid.

APPLICATION Due to the finely-milled texture, the powder goes on evenly and sheerly. I cannot see it looking cakey unless you apply a lot of it on tacky foundation or really oily skin. This powder does not come with an applicator. A powder brush is the best option, in my opinion.

FINISH An even, soft matte. It is fantastic for setting foundation and for absorbing oil.

SCENT No noticeable scent.

LASTING POWER I have noticed that my face stays matte longer since I have used this powder.

OVERALL This is a fantastic product. The price is just right, the sizes are very generous and the quality is through the roof. I will definitely repurchase in about a year when I actually finish it. :-P
continued >>

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Enough cannot be said about this banana powder so I will try to keep it small so that I don't bore you with the details. Ben Nye has created a series of powders currently known as Bella Luxury Powders. These powders were created for people who work on stage and in front of the cameras to help keep their makeup on from perspiration. Moreover, these powders are finely milled and comparable to French silk powders. They have a luxurious feel and when shaken in the bottle seem to have a silk like effect as when waves move in the ocean. Its hard to explain until you shake the bottle, but truly they move like fine silk. They currently come in four shades, Banana, Beige Suede, Buff and Cameo. However the most famous of these is the Banana powder and here's why.

When Kim Kardashian's makeup artist posted a picture of her sporting this mysterious powder, it became an instant hit. Now-a-days, anything a celebrity uses automatically becomes an instant hit. Whether that hit last for a long or short time is a different story. Nonetheless, this banana powder is the secret to Kim's highlighted areas on her face.

For those who contour and highlight their makeup, this powder works wonders for highlighting the eyes and below the check bones. You apply this powder on your highlighted areas with a sponge wedge, beauty blender or makeup brush and let it sit for 2-5 minutes on your face. Then you brush off the excess powder and wow what a difference it makes. This powder also has other benefits which is that it can be used to set your concealer. Once you put this powder on, it leaves your highlighted areas with a beautiful halo glow. You can also use this powder as an overall powder for your face. However, one thing to keep in mind is that this powder does contain talc which is the first ingredient. So if you are allergic or do not agree with putting talc on your face, then this product is not for you.

Now, a word of caution. This banana powder does not look good on all skin types. Therefore Ben Nye Bella Luxury powders come in different colors. Its best to find the shade that work for your skin color before you end up looking raccoon eyed. This banana powder does have a bit of a yellow tone. So if you are fair skin, go easy on how much you apply. For those like me who have fair skin, this banana powder made me look jaundice. Not a cute look to sport if you ask me. However for fair skin people, the Bella Luxury Powder that works well is cameo or beige suede. Some fair skin people are able to get away with using the banana powder. But if your undertone is yellow and you are fair skin, trust me this will not work for you as it already leaves a yellow tone to the skin when applied.

If you are not sure how to use this powder then youtube (yes I said it) and you will see many different people showing and explaining the advantages of this powder. This powder comes in three different sizes, 1.5 oz, 3 oz and 8 oz. 1.5 oz & 3 oz come in a shaker bottle. You easily pour some in the cap and apply it with your beauty tool. However the 8 oz does not come in a shaker but has a wide open mouth top. This makes it hard to apply unless you dip your makeup brush right into the bottle which may not be so hygienic. Whichever size you decide to buy will supply you with a nice amount of powder that should last you more then a year. Since very little is needed, you can easily use this product time and time again before needing to order another one. Nonetheless whatever oz size you buy you will not be disappointed with the effects of this powder. However I sadly can't buy this again due to the yellowish look it leaves me :-(

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

Super quality powder

I was surprised that it's so difficult to find reviews on this powder. It's very finely milled and absorbs oil better than any other powder I've used. I have this in about 5 different shades....it may seem like over-kill but I'll explain how I use it to correct off-color (i.e. cheap) foundations.

I use the Neutral Set (Colorless Face Powder) to set all of my makeup and powders. This stuff absorbs in the skin and has no chalky residue. This powder is my go to oil blaster in the summer.

I use the Banana Viasge Powder in a similiar manner as the Neutral Set, but this one gives me face a touch of warmth. The color absorbs beautifully and doesn't look 'yellow', it just soaks up the oils, sets my concealer/foundation and adds a warm glow. I love this stuff!

I also have Coco-Tan, Chestnut and Sienna. These three are brown shades with different undertones. Chestnut is pretty much an exact match to my skintone. Coco-Tan has a slight orange undertone and Sienna has a more reddish undertone. Chestnut is in between.

While I can wear each of these powders over my foundations and still look great, I find that I can use them to counteract any foundations that have funky undertones when I apply them. For example, L'Oreal True Match foundations leave a weird greyish undertone on me....even when I set it with my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish or other powders. But when I set it with my Ben Nye powder in Sienna, it balances out the chalky grey tones and leaves me with a nice finish.

I can't say enough about these powders. I love them. You get 1.75 oz/49 gm. for pennies compared to Smashbox or MAC products. I only paid $3.75 for the tinted powders and $4.25 for the Neutral and Banana Visage powders!!! These can be purchased at most theatrical stage shops/costume shops or you can order online. I found a fantastic website for a wonderful company in Wisconsin that carries a wide variety of Ben Nye Products.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Very warm, yellowy complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose, mid 30s. MAC C2/NC20 Large clog prone pores, oily skin which is also sensitive, blackhead prone with occasional simple acne.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCT ~ Setting powder 3 oz for under $10.

PACKAGING ~ Bottle with a shaker on top, I sprinkle some on my palm. A little fussy but I find all powder applicators fussy.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE ~ Fine, light powder.

APPLICATION ~ I use a powder brush, Jane Iredale or Quo or a Jane Iredale flocked sponge.

FINISH ~ Matte and texture free because the powder is so finely milled.

SHADE ~ The Banana Visage shade and it's absolutely perfect for me. My complexion is really yellow to start with and this powder matches perfectly, I love it. It makes me look so fresh and over top of my Vichy Corrective Liquid or Cover FX creme founations, my skin looks almost flawless.

COVERAGE ~ Light coverage as you would expect with a setting powder but not translucent. Perfect, imo.

STAYING POWER ~ Very mattifying, lasts all day.

SCENT ~ Unscented, yay!

OVERALL ~ Fabulous product, the price is amazing, I bought mine from theatricalmakeupsupplies.com for $9.50 for 3 ounces, can't go wrong with that price. I can use a lot of this, I need it, layers and layers and it will not ever feel heavy. It's truly a revolutionary product (I know, a little over the top?) because it does not cake and feels nice on my skin. Nothing is worse than a cakey, heavy feeling face. It really is more like a high end $60 an ounce type product for a much more reasonable price. I heart Ben Nye.

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

So, anytime I'm considering buying anything under the heading of cosmetics, I research and read the reviews on MUA. That's what kind of pushed me to order the banana powder..coupled with Pinterest. I bought the 3.0 oz container from makeupmania...all under 15 bucks with shipping, plus taxes all added in. Great customer service as well. This stuff is uh-amazing. I've been using it for three days now, and my face looks perfect. I started just using it for my concealer (NC45), but then found a way to powder it onto my foundation, lightly. It's addicting. The only downer is the packaging, but you can find a way around it.I have so many compacts lying around, so I made use of them. The best way to apply it with foundation, is with a powder puff, and for concealer, use a damp beauty blender-like sponge.I first tried it with just buffing it with a brush, but I didn't like it. This stuff makes me excited to put my makeup on in the morning, Enjoy ladies. :)

Mini Update: My grandfather passed away this past weekend, and all week I have been running around with my family, and missing sleep. Today I came home in the middle of the afternoon, excited to take a nap. I was gonna wash my makeup off, knowing I'd have to reapply/touch up anyways once I got up, but I was too tired. I slept nearly three hours. My makeup always melts off when I sleep, so I just knew I was gonna see a half baked face when I went into the bathroom under my bright lighting. WRONG! Under eye area was still just as bright- concealer hadn't budged, nor had my foundation or blush. I'm so not used to that. Honestly, this stuff is gold!!!

UPDATE: I have discovered recently, that when using this over your concealer, and/or foundation, it is best to not apply it immediately after. When you do it that way, especially with cream products, cake face is almost definite. Apply your foundation and/or concealer, and wait a few minutes for it to settle. This especially helps with concealer, as the powder will go on brighter and not look powdery at all , just like a gorgeous yellow highlight. Hope this helps. :)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I was very suspicious about this for some reason when I saw the Kim Kardashion related picture on Facebook . I rushed out to buy it, supposedly buying the last bottle in stock in Houaton , TX, the 4th largest city in the us! But I do have to say I am so impressed! Dusted it over MAC prolong foundation in NC20 and wore it to a movie I knew I would cry my eyes out in, odd life of Timothy green. I usually just wipe my tears with my hands because I don't want to tear my makeup off, but I actually brought tissue with me after hearin about this movie. After dabbing my tears for 30 minutes, I just knew I would be embarrassed when the movie was over and I went into the restroom to freshen up. Unbelievably, my makeup under my eyes as well as all my black eyeliner and eyeshadow under my eyes was in place as if I had never shed one single tear!! I couldn't believe it! And living in Houston TX with high humidity levels, I need this to keep makeup and full coverage on my face and this is IT! HG!!!!!!!!!!!

This is by far the worst loose powder I have used on myself and on clients!
What is the fuss. This is completely yellow that any beautifully applied foundation underneath would be hijacked by this unflattering jaundiced colour!

I can only see tan to dark skin tones pulling this off but certainly not fair. I applied this to set my concealer, bang, they both went yellow, my foundation, that went yellow too.

Really is only an over hyped product by so called makeup "addicts" and "enthusiasts" with no idea what they're taking about. The price depending where you buy it is premium. I could get better loose powders at the drugstore.

The texture is decent, but not the best The one brand making beautifully textured powders and shades is NARS.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

After using up a 3g sample from ebay, I ordered the 85g straight away so I will never run out, lol. It really makes a difference when I set my under-eye area with this, opposed to just powdering it with translucent powder. I really don't now what it is about this powder but it really makes you look much better! I'm NC40 so I also use it as setting powder for highlighted areas (that's when I go out clubbing or just when getting dolled up) in generous amounts and it's gorg, no wonder why Kardashians use it, it really looks great and keeps heavier foundations perfectly in place. Not to mention the perfect price for such huge amount of product!

To those with pale skintones (which I love, it's so classy & elegant looking, btw I'm naturally white-pale myself, I just tan :)) I would recommend checking out the Cameo shade of this powder (which I also own in 45g), because Banana will definately come out too yellow on you girls. If you're not that pale, but more like fair-medium than porcelain pale, then Buff would work best, because again Banana may come out a bit too yellow-ish on you, hope this helps :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

While this powder isn't for everyone it is for me. The color is just right and the finish it leaves me with is amazing. I sometimes use it for highlighting portions of my face and sometimes as an all over face powder. It photographs well without a white cast when doing flash photography. I wouldn't say it controls oil well or does a terrible job at it. I have oily skin and it didn't perform any worse or better than any other face powders I have tried. Even oil control powders last about the same on me as this. So believe what you will but everyone is different and I guess the chemistry mix between the powder and my body is the same with this and other powders I have tried.

The price, it can't be beat. It was around $13 for a 3oz tub. This thing is huge. I will never be able to finish it. But the packaging is horrible. It's a cap with a sifter on top and unlike powder jars once the powder is out of the container, there is no well or anything on top of the sifter to hold it there. I've since poured this into an older face powder jar that I have finished with a sifter. This works out much better and I am experiencing less product waste.

Also ladies for those of you looking for a color match. Some reviewers say this is either took dark or too light for them. Do your research. Ben nye makes a range of colors for their powders. It may not be called banana powder, but it's essentially the same thing in a different color. I know everyone has hyped up this one color/powder, but if it's the wrong color it won't work for you. So don't just reach for it because everyone says omg you have to try the banana powder. Do your research. This is yellow.

WOW - I LOVE THIS POWDER! I never would have tried this product without MUA. I have been on the ultimate search for the perfect powder because I don't want to wear foundation, just powder over moisturized skin. I'm Asian, so alot of powders are too pink on me. I tried this on a whim because it was only $7 from costumesgalore.com. It is great! Perfect shade and when I look at my skin mid-morning, it just looked like I had great glowing skin! I guess I can see it being too drying for dry skin, but I have combo/oily skin. I don't find it too powdery or chalky at all. And at $7 for 4 oz - what a super bargain! UPDATE: I spoke too soon! @#$%^!! It made me break out. Now I have very sensitive skin, so it was just too good to be true. However, I'm not changing my score, because I still think it's a fabulous powder and everyone should try it, esp if you don't have senstive skin. It just doesn't work for me. Here are the ingredients; i'm still trying to figure out what made me break out: talc, zinc stearate, corn starch, rice starch, iron oxides (color), diazoludinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, and fragrance.