Ben Nye Bella Luxury Powder - Banana

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 30-35

3.6

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)
Ben Nye reviews, photos and discussion

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a bit of a believer that anything that's been the 'go-to' product in its category for more than a decade needs to be road tested to see what it does. This has been an industry hero for several decades, made famous more recently as the highlighting powder used for kim k.

So. First comment. It's a yellow based powder. This might seem obvious, but it means the colour will work for some skin tones but not all. As I look through the reviews, the olive skinned girls seem to get the best results. I find it also looks good on women of color as it doesn't go ashy. If you're fairer, or tend to look better with a pink base, you might find the rose coloured one ( which is gorgeous) is a better fit.

I really prefer a yellow base on my skin tone, so I actually use this as a corrector to add a goldy tone and I find it works beautifully for that. It seems to make me ' brighter' but not sallow. I find that the texture is super fine, and keeps my makeup fresh all day without a heavy cakey finish. If I apply it lightly, it also keeps a tiny bit of glow, which is great.
The packaging is annoying, I find the best way is to tap a little bit into the lid and work from there. You also don't need to puncture all the holes in the sifter to get the product out- bout half seems to work well.
My summary: great colour for warmer ( yellow based) skin tones. Creates a very ' golden girl' kind of effect. Not ideal for ultra pale except possibly to correct redness. Sits well under eyes. GREAT texture- possibly the nicest I've ever used. Wears well. Photographs well. Concentrated formula- don't need to apply lots unless ' baking '. Highly recommend for makeup artists - I'm planning to get a few more colours for my kit because I love it so much.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Loooove this powder!! A l8ttle goes a long way with this so it'll definitely last you a long time..i never get cakey with this no matter how much i put on. It keeps my makeup set all day...i dont have oily skin but my friend does and i gave her some of this powder in cameo and now she wont use anything else.. It does have talc in it so it can cause flash back if it is not buffed in.. there is no odor to this powder. I havent had any problems with it irritating my skin or breaking me out. Its great for setting your undereye area with and brightening them up. .. if you are really pale ypu might wanna try the pink powder they have or cameo.. the only thing i guess i would change is the way the powder comes out but thats not to much of a problem for me..

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm loving this as an all over setting powder. Just the lightest hand equals a brightened complexion. Just as contour matte bronzer and you are good to go. Although it is yellow, it works very well with my fair skin and cool undertones. I run more pink then yellow. (Im pretty fair, I use MAC face and body in N1 or Smashbox BB in fair)

As I only use 1 light shake to set my makeup...this powder will last at least a 1 year..made more.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Enough cannot be said about this banana powder so I will try to keep it small so that I don't bore you with the details. Ben Nye has created a series of powders currently known as Bella Luxury Powders. These powders were created for people who work on stage and in front of the cameras to help keep their makeup on from perspiration. Moreover, these powders are finely milled and comparable to French silk powders. They have a luxurious feel and when shaken in the bottle seem to have a silk like effect as when waves move in the ocean. Its hard to explain until you shake the bottle, but truly they move like fine silk. They currently come in four shades, Banana, Beige Suede, Buff and Cameo. However the most famous of these is the Banana powder and here's why.

When Kim Kardashian's makeup artist posted a picture of her sporting this mysterious powder, it became an instant hit. Now-a-days, anything a celebrity uses automatically becomes an instant hit. Whether that hit last for a long or short time is a different story. Nonetheless, this banana powder is the secret to Kim's highlighted areas on her face.

For those who contour and highlight their makeup, this powder works wonders for highlighting the eyes and below the check bones. You apply this powder on your highlighted areas with a sponge wedge, beauty blender or makeup brush and let it sit for 2-5 minutes on your face. Then you brush off the excess powder and wow what a difference it makes. This powder also has other benefits which is that it can be used to set your concealer. Once you put this powder on, it leaves your highlighted areas with a beautiful halo glow. You can also use this powder as an overall powder for your face. However, one thing to keep in mind is that this powder does contain talc which is the first ingredient. So if you are allergic or do not agree with putting talc on your face, then this product is not for you.

Now, a word of caution. This banana powder does not look good on all skin types. Therefore Ben Nye Bella Luxury powders come in different colors. Its best to find the shade that work for your skin color before you end up looking raccoon eyed. This banana powder does have a bit of a yellow tone. So if you are fair skin, go easy on how much you apply. For those like me who have fair skin, this banana powder made me look jaundice. Not a cute look to sport if you ask me. However for fair skin people, the Bella Luxury Powder that works well is cameo or beige suede. Some fair skin people are able to get away with using the banana powder. But if your undertone is yellow and you are fair skin, trust me this will not work for you as it already leaves a yellow tone to the skin when applied.

If you are not sure how to use this powder then youtube (yes I said it) and you will see many different people showing and explaining the advantages of this powder. This powder comes in three different sizes, 1.5 oz, 3 oz and 8 oz. 1.5 oz & 3 oz come in a shaker bottle. You easily pour some in the cap and apply it with your beauty tool. However the 8 oz does not come in a shaker but has a wide open mouth top. This makes it hard to apply unless you dip your makeup brush right into the bottle which may not be so hygienic. Whichever size you decide to buy will supply you with a nice amount of powder that should last you more then a year. Since very little is needed, you can easily use this product time and time again before needing to order another one. Nonetheless whatever oz size you buy you will not be disappointed with the effects of this powder. However I sadly can't buy this again due to the yellowish look it leaves me :-(

This didn't work at all for me, but i am giving it a 3 because I can see it being better for someone with medium-dark to darker skin-tones with normal to very oily skin. FWIW, I’m quite fair (though not a true PPP) with what they call ‘peaches and cream’ complexion (a nice way to say ones skin is pale/light with a tendency to get rosy, or, lets get real, downright ruddy if not careful!). I also have dry skin - especially in colder months.

I bought it in my never-ending quest to find an exact dupe (or better) to the old formula of Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust in Sunlight (circa 2007-08) which was TERRIFIC and HG for me. Sadly, the old formulation is no more and the new one just isn’t the same. So I thought I’d give this a shot whilst seeing it whilst Halloween shopping at an outrageously well-stocked brick and mortar costume shop in my area.

However, this just wasn't what I was hoping nor looking for. At all. As I said above, Ben Nye’s Bella Luxury Powder in ”Banana" is definitely a YMMV product. I ended up looking like a freak with it on and, yes, the packaging is really quite pitiful. It’s too powdery of a consistency in my opinion - much like talcum powder/baby powder except in a banana- yellow. This definitely is a signature Ben Nye product: a total costume and stage-makeup heavy product that looks relatively garish anywhere else unless standing under theatrical lighting like on stage, etc.

Also, based upon my one purchase of Banana, it would seem that the expiry date is visually more important than most other face powders. Unless my item was a dud (doubt it) or I’m hallucinating (even more doubtful), the unused makeup in the jar seems to oxidize quicker than other powders I’ve tried, as mine grown increasingly more orange-y. I’d suggest if you decide to buy it to try to find out how old it is, etc.

I’ve thus changed this from a 3-star to a 2-star due it being an overall unfortunate, overhyped, non-stabilized product which makes my 1993 Wet n’ Wild teenage crap-wear look like luxury items.

My search for an HG soft lemon-yellowish, non-glittery, finishing powder to replace the now DC’d old version of Everyday Minerals ”SUNLIGHT FINISHING POWDER” circa 2007 continues. I’ll leave this for the professionals, professional actors, at least.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you are very pale, fair skinned. Try the "Cameo" shade of this powder for the same effect, only not yellow. Banana is yellow toned, so it is great for medium to darker complexions. The "Cameo," shade is more white, pink based so it works better for lighter colors.

This powder is so fine and light that it really does appear translucent on my skin. I use it to set my foundation and it helps keep the oil or shine at bay. I only need to make a little bit touch up with my pressed powder in the afternoon. The banana shade works for me, i have yellow undertones and it helps cover some redness. This is an amazing find! The price is pretty reasonable. I use a kabuki brush to apply it and it looks fantastic! :)

I heard about this product for a while and finally purchased it from ebay to see if it would work as a setting powder for my liquid foundations rather than always using a mineral powder to finish. I really do not see what is so special about it. It is not as yellow as I thought it would be, it is sort of a dark somewhat orange yellow. I was hoping for more of a pastel golden yellow. I suppose it sets the makeup and does what it is supposed to do but it honestly does not do much for complexion, definitely does not neutralize foundations that are too pink, and does soften or make the look more natural. I used both as a setting powder for the entire face and for concealers. The price is quite affordable so I cannot complain but it is not any more special than powders that have been around for ages like the Coty or other loose powders like that.

I read glowing reviews of Ben Nyes Banana Powder so thought I would try it. Big mistake. Despite what other reviewers say, if you are fair skinned like me this powder will have a yellow cast to it. Also, I have sensitive, allergy prone skin and mild rosacea. The second this powder hit my face, my face turned pink. It also caused me to breakout. If you have rosacea or sensitive skin it won't tone down redness, it will exacerbate it. If you have problem skin like me, I recommend you stay away from this product.