The Body Shop Matte Clay Skin Clarifying Foundation

3.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

This is my second time purchasing this product, and it is quickly becoming my go to foundation after going through any number of products that either made me break out horribly or dried out my skin. This goes on great, looks totally natural, and doesnt dry out or irritate my sensitive skin. Pairs well with other products, ie. Powder foundation and concealers, but also does well on it's own and keeps skin matte. Love this product and love the body shop!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't hate this foundation, nor I love it.

The finish is definitely matte. I feel like this foundation could emphasize my dry patches I didn't know I have if I'm not careful. Definitely not meant for dry skin, but if the label says "matte clay" I'm pretty sure they're targeting oily skin market. It is also labeled as a skin clarifying, therefore I assume it's safe for acne-prone skin? Although I don't feel a direct result (it reducing my acne, etc), it's not breaking me out either so there's that.

Coverage wise is ok, somewhere between medium-high. I really like the tube packaging because it is sleek and travel friendly.

The shade range kinda sucks, I got the shade 014 Railay Beach and it is too pale (almost grey-ish?) for me (I am NC15-20 on MAC). But the next shade is definitely too dark and too pink. So they didn't leave me with choices here.

Pro: travel friendly, matte finish if you're into that, ok coverage
Cons: slightly emphasize your dry patches, bad shade range

My go-to foundation has always been MAC Studio fix fluid (NC15). However, it can be expensive to constantly replace.

I bought this foundation on a whim in an attempt to find a more affordable option to use on a daily basis.

IT IS AMAZING!

Pros
- Lightweight formula
- Lasts long: 8+ hours (I played ultimate frisbee for 3 hours and didn’t have a tomato face)
- Extremely matte, no need for powder whatsoever
-Medium to full coverage
- Contains tea tree oil which is great for acne-prone skin
- Cruelty-free
- Affordable

Cons
- The liquid can dry out quickly during application but it’s easy to blend
- It could be a little drying, I haven’t had any problems so far (after 3 months’ use)

I use the shade Railay Beach 014 which matches my skin tone perfectly. I will apply it over moisturiser or primer and set it using a moisturising face mist for a slight dewy finish.

At the moment it’s The Body Shop Vitamin E Hydrating Face Mist which has a refreshing rose scent.

My go to foundation is the Dior Diorskin nude air serum. I know these foundations are nothing alike, but Ive been testing all sorts of foundations for something with more coverage and would be good over time (and the summer) for my oily, acne-prone skin. I got a generous amount of this tester from the body shop and had really high hopes for it. It has a bit of a scent to it which I don't mind. It is a full coverage foundation, and can go on a bit thick, but I realized after I few uses that I didn't need the amount I was using. Unfortunately, it oxidizes very quickly and really settled into my pores, even with mousturizer and primer. What ultimately disappointed me was that it dried out my skin, but in all the wrong places. It would patch up on my cheeks, which is an area that has always been baby soft and oil/acne free. After a week of using the product, my cheeks would retain those dry patches even with the makeup off. As for the parts that are oily, it would stay matte longer than most products, but was much too heavy for my acne. It would emphasize spots where I have acne and scarring, and didn't do much for healing them. I would stick with serum foundations as they are able to let my skin breath and acne heal faster. I really wanted to like the product especially after reading the reviews. Unfortunately, I will not be using this product again or recommending it to anyone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

AMAZING FOUNDATION! I am soooo in love with this foundation right now, I think I may have found my true favorite foundation yet. It has great full coverage while having a thin and light consistency. It is never cakey and it really is SUPER matte. I am very oily and this foundation keeps my face looking baby soft even without a powder. It feels very soft to the touch and never rubs off. And the fact that it is only $16 just warms my heart. Love the tube packaging and color. I find that it applies best with my fingers; smearing(?) motion, not dabbing motion.

PLEASE DONT DISCONTINUE

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love at first use! It provided amazing coverage with just one thin layer, stayed matte during my 8+ hour shift and didn't transfer onto my glasses. It did oxidize a little, but nothing to worry about. The only bad thing is that it looks a bit cakey after a few hours, but blotting solved that for me.
This is the first foundation ever to work on my extremelly oily skin and not look at least a little bit shiny after a few hours - maybe because it dries down to a powder finish.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I didn't like this product though I had so many high expectations for it... It was highly advertised when it first launched. I have to say the price was relatively cheap for the standard 1 fl. oz compared to many other drugstore brands. It isn't as thick as some may say. You'd expect a clay foundation to be thick but compared to others like the elf acne foundation, it is much runnier. I found that it looked SUPER matte I don't understand why many didn't find it looked that way after it dried down. Made me look like I had powdered foundation on top of normal foundation. I'd put a tiny dab and spread with my fingers and yet I'd look super cakey and really made it look like I was wearing a thick layer of foundation as even my friends pointed out. The colour was rather ashy though it did match me and when I started getting oily, the foundation would break out around those areas or rub off making my once nonexistent pores look HUGE and the foundation clumpy as heck around the oily areas. Ended up selling it off as there was no way I could ever hope to finish it. I did get some spots a well but I can't blame this product since I sometimes get new acne randomly but no major breakouts, which is a plus for those with highly reactive skin like mine. Product smells nice, a very, very faint tea tree and earthy smell but fortunately nothing harsh. All in all, sometimes you have to try it out as everyone's skin looks and reacts differently.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

- Good coverage on my oily skin
- Oxidizes for sure after two or three hours
- Medium to full coverage
- Matte for at least 3 hours
- Has a nice tea-tree scent

I am completely in love with this foundation!!! I have tried hundreds of foundations, always on the hunt for one that looks natural, covers well, stays on, and doesn't make me super oily. This is it!!!! As someone with oily skin, Its a battle to have my makeup stay put all day (and I don't like the finish and heaviness of many long wear foundations). While i'm not perfectly matte all day with this foundation, I find myself having to blot less. If you're considering this foundation I would definitely recommend trying it - honestly The Body Shop makeup is SO under-rated! I also love the all-in-one face base.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I've had high expectations of this product. The fact is that I'm looking for a foundation that will keep me matte. Unfortunately does not do the job. My skin is combination with a really oily T zone. The other thing is that I've experienced breakouts and I was really disappointed because it's supposed to be healing acne. Not recommend. The price is outstanding though. If this does not break your skin out I would say that it's just an ok foundation.