Equate Argan Oil Conditioner

No Image

3.5

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

So, I'm a wee bit of a hair snob. My mom always bought salon shampoo and conditioner when I was a kid, so it's never been my thing to buy it at the grocery store. My boyfriend however is a total cheapskate. He'll certainly use my Shu Uemura, and Kerastase products if I let him, but...I usually don't. So, he bought this last month, or maybe the month before, and it sat in our shower getting daily use from him, after his Head and Shoulders shampoo. I did notice one day that his hair started looking smoother, but I didn't really think a lot about it. Fast forward to this week, and I washed my hair in the shower, and then realized I didn't bring my Silk Bloom masque into the shower (I try not to store expensive beauty products where temperatures fluctuate), and I'd recently run out of my Christophe Robin Blueberry Conditioner (which, btw smells nothing like blueberries, but conditions amazingly) that I did keep in the shower. It's winter, so I was not about to hop out of the steamy goodness to get my masque, so...I skeptically used his cheap, CHEAP, conditioner, and lo and behold...it's pretty fabulous! It smelled decent, gave my wet hair good slip, and made it soft and smooth, but not over-conditioned when it air dried (my hair is bra strap length, bleached white, and dyed very light lavender, for reference). Color me VERY impressed! I took a look at the ingredients, and...they're pretty freaking good! Argan oil is above dimethicone in the ingredient list, which, like, nevvvvvver happens. This stuff comes in a GIANT pump bottle for $5 or $6 he said. Definitely give it a try!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is obviously meant to be a knock off of the popular Organix Argan Oil conditioner. However the ingredients are not a dead on dupe, and if I had to choose - I'd still go with the pricier name brand. I have included ingredient lists of the two below for comparison.

My issue with Equate's version is they shoved in protein and isopropyl alcohol. I'm not claiming my hair absolutely hates proteins. Sometimes I need the added strength. However that's something I'm very picky about formula wise because it easily dries my hair out. As for the isopropyl alcohol - that's very stripping & drying, A lot of companies add it in as a cheap filler and because it helps the dry down of products. I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Now with all that being said, I do like this product. I'd repurchase it happily. The ingredient list is decent (not perfect but not awful either) and the price point is awesome. The results were not impressive but my hair is left in decent shape using this. But it'll never become HG quality for me. One advantage Equate does have over Organix is there's only a very minimal amount of fragrance in theirs. Whereas with Organix, fragrance content is more than the actual beneficial ingredients (leads me to believe they use VERY minimal amounts of them).

Equate's version: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glycol Stearate, Glycol Distearate, Ceteareth-20, Isopropyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Citric Acid, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035), Fragrance (Parfum).

Organix's version:
DI Water, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycol Stearate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Fragrance, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa Butter) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Extract, Panthenol, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylchlorothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Linalool