Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil

Ingredients:Mineral Oil(Paraffinum Liquidum/Huile Minerale), Peg-8 Glyceryl Isostearate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Isododecane, Water(Aqua/Eau), Isostearic Acid, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Bht, Tocopherol

An excellent and exceptionally mild cleanser that will not strip the skin for precious moisture. It will leave the skin fully cleansed and supple with no feeling of tightness or any uncomfortable feel as other surfactant based cleanser can do.

It is supposed to be applied on dry skin, massaged in and then rinsed with warm water. It will be fully removed from the skin along with make-up and dirt without leaving an oily residue.

Some people have pointed out that it is "overpriced mineral oil that you can easily get from the pharmacy".
I would recommend doing so and see what happens when you try to remove the oil from your skin with (warm) water. It will stick and will not be removed. Make-up will be smudged and "sticking to the skin".

While the price is high is because you pay for the technology.
This is not pure oil. It contains surfactant(s) that will aid the effective removal of the cleanser and make-up. This technology (or even invention) generates from Japan and has been used for several decades. (Just as an interesting fact, even US-based companies tried to launch some oil cleansers back in the 1990s. Unfortunately without greater success -ref. Origins Liquid Crystal from 1996.)

Why the Shiseido Cleansing Oil is the right choice for all skin types is because its hypoallergenic formula. It is also a misconception that Mineral Oil will clog pores and cause acne.
Mineral oil’s molecular weight is higher than what is necessary to penetrate the skin, which should be under 500 Dalton.
Mineral oil has no possibility to cause allergy hence it is inherently safe for people with allergy, dermatitis etc. The formula contains no preservative hence further minimizing possible allergic reactions.

The formula contains a light fragrance that is undetectable after rinsing and has no added colorant or preservative.

What I really like about this product is its lightness, even in warm, humid weather, it never feels oily and rinses completely without leaving any residue. Yet skin is completely clean and free of make-up residue and feels fresh.
Since the lipid barrier is not damaged after using it (unlike it can be the case with surfactant based cleansers), skin regains its health and looks luminous and healthy glowing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

A cleansing oil with Shiseido’s original Gentle Quick-Removing Technology. It rapidly reaches deep down into the pore to thoroughly remove dirt and makeup, with no sticky feeling. Excellent for all skin types.

My Review: I purchased the 300ml bottle at the Hudson Bay when my usual Clinique take the day-off cleansing balm was out of of stock. The price was a bit extravagant for my liking $57.00 + tax (CAD). However, after trying the product I did like how it removed my waterproof mascara and Estée Lauder DoubleWear foundation with just half a pump. My skin is oily, sensitive, and prone to breakouts but after using the product religiously before cleansing my face with a cleanser. I can actually give this product a good review because it has not clogged my pores and given me any breakouts. Also the cleansing oil dissolves the layers of makeup in my face immediately unlike the Clinique cleansing balm that needs to be rubbed in.

I believe the shiseido line we see at high end department stores (example: Barney’s, Nordstrom, Hudson Bay) is totally different from the shiseido line you see in the Asian supermarkets/drug stores.

My verdict: it is worth the splurge and I would purchase again; but the only time I would purchase this product is when there is a gift with purchase promotion or if I come across it at a duty free store while travelling.

Popular Face Skincare Products