Urban Decay The Velvetizer Translucent Mix-In Medium

Urban Decay The Velvetizer Translucent Mix-In Medium

3.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Editing to add: I just want to state that start out with a teeny tiny bit mixed into the foundation. Talc works better for me than silica HOWEVER its easier to form a (too) dry paste that renders the foundation mixture as...disgusting. Work with it. Its easy to add in a tiny bit of powder but impossible to remove any once you mix the two.
-----
Not a bad product but AngelBritney's review here is right on the money about it being easy to dupe. I am LMAO that Urban Decay is the first to launch one of these and everyone thinks it's some sort of miracle product idea. My only critique to AngelBritney is that if you want to properly dupe this, go with a silica based powder as the Urban Decay one is basically silica and pigment. Talc in theory WILL also work but it won't be as close of a dupe if you like the UD version. I personally will use a talc based powder as talc does a better job at absorbing *my* skin's oils. Your mileage may vary.

The basis of this product is it thickens foundation, adds coverage (hence the pigments), and helps create a more matte look. So if you are oily, you'll likely love this. I don't see the point of dry skinned gals using this unless you use a boatload of moisturizer first. Some may be curious why not just use more powder to set the make up? The answer is mixing it in vs coating it after creates a more natural look and the powder has no choice but to adhere to the foundation.

Very innovative on Urban Decay's part but I'll be sticking to my regular face powder as a mix in.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

If you want to have a cheap dupe, just buy any powder that is made out of silica or talc. Yes, basically any powder works fine as a mix-in medium (but please beware of any unusual colored powder, for example green or yellow). So if you want to spend extra money on the brand name, go ahead and try it. I'm sure it's good as any cheaper powder.

on 9/29/2017 4:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I'm surprised there haven't been any reviews!

This is a loose translucent powder that is supposed to make your foundation slightly thicker and help provide more coverage. So if your foundation is sheer-to-medium, you can get medium to full coverage by mixing in this powder into your foundation. The powder itself is probably the finest milled powder I've ever seen. It's really hard to pick up with your fingers (though that's what I do) and is super soft!! I always roll my eyes when YouTube "gurus" rave on about how "soft" a powder is... I mean - it's a powder right? Baby powder is soft.... But this Velvetizer truly is extremely soft - you'll know what I mean when you try it yourself.

I pour/squeeze some foundation on the back of my hand and sprinkle a little of this powder on top, then mix with my finger. The foundation (and I only use this for my sheer/medium coverage foundations), then turns slightly gel-like - kind of like when you add a little thickener like Xanthan Gum to a liquid product, but obviously not as tacky. I then blend the foundation to my skin as usual - I tend to first blend with my hand and then use a beautyblender to finish off. I find that I get a much smoother finish this way.

Anyway, once you've mixed this powder, you have to work really fast. No doting all over your face and then blending. Work in sections and work fast, as it makes foundations thicker, and therefore it dries quickly on your skin. You will notice straight away how much more coverage you will get but, more importantly, the way your foundation dries down is different. It feels velvety and soft. I can't explain it. Some of my foundations (e.g. Smashbox 15 Hour foundation) can feel a little tacky even after they have supposedly dried down. With The Velvetizer, your foundations will always dry with a velvety finish and your skin genuinely feels like skin.
I also found that my foundation stays *exactly* as it was when I first put it on. I may be slightly dewey, but not quite as oily as I normally would have been (being a combo/oily girl). At the end of the day (and this is about 10-12 hours in), I look pretty much the same. That normally doesn't happen unless I'm wearing Estée Lauder Double Wear or Becca Ultimate Coverage Foundation. I also don't need to set with powder (something I hate doing anyways), but you can set your foundation with The Velvetizer since it's a translucent powder.

All in all, I would repurchase. The packaging is - meh. The price isn't great, considering how much you actually get (0.28 oz/8g). But the product itself? It's pretty fantastic!