Yves Saint Laurent Tatouage Couture Liquid Matte Lip Stain

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I got the shade No1 which is a bold and beautiful classic red. The applicator is convenient, has a nice scent and goes on shiny at first. I normally use two thin coats.

The final outcome is a semi-matte rich red that doesn't feather weirdly and doesn't feel heavy or too drying.

On the other side it tends to transfer a bit which is a problem with a color that bold and stains my lips in an unflattering orangey hue even after using oil makeup remover twice. Expensive too.

I won't repurchase since it's not perfect and I much prefer a classic lipstick in tube.

it doesn't last too long, the applicater is weird but sometimes it helps. I think there are better products with less money that last longer. Although it is smooth , light , doesnt fall appart or rincle and as much natural as a bold lipstick could be. it is matte and doesnt dry your lips. maybe perfect for somebody who doesnt mind to reapply and want something matte and not dry .

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Early review
#16 nude emblem
Really enjoy so far
Great applicator
Looks pretty good
Doesn’t last and does bunch at the end of day
Like more than other liquid lips I’ve tried and like the packaging and size
Enjoy it
Want to try more
Very expensive

EDIT after 5 weeks
I actually took the trouble to return this
The reason is that if your lips are a bit dry (mildly) and if this fades it really leaves a pretty gross look on the lip.
Since it doesn't last very long at all I opted to go for a more moisturizing product with a similar colour. Still searching for that nude but so far my various sephora brand try outs are doing better than this did

I wanted something lighter than my liquid lipstick that has the same staying power. This completely delivers. It goes on like a thin lotion and immediately stains your lip with gorgeous pigmented color. As long as you're not eating/drinking this lasts a very long time. I was disappointed that I couldn't eat my way through this lip stain, but I do love how natural the color is on my skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The YSL Tatouage is my first liquid lipstick. I bought #23. As with many of my lipsticks, the lip pencil I wear with it changes the color a bit. It looks more neutral with YSL #13, Beige, more rosy with Chanel #05, nude and slightly peachy with By Terry Perfect Nude. A trick I learned to keep it from being too dry is to apply Bite Lip Balm (in the lipstick style container, not the squeezable tube). It is waxy and matte. Blotted down, it provides a great "grab" for the Tatouage. Once Tatouage dries, there is no transfer on coffee cups. It lasts better than any other lipstick I've tried and I've tried lots in my decades of lipstick use.

YSL lip products have always been HG for me and i own several lippies across various formulas. This though, is a GAMECHANGER. I am not exaggerating when i say that i used it yesterday from 7am - 7pm, had 2 normal meals (neither were salads) and my lips still looked passable. No flakes, no peels, lips did not feel dry at all. When licking the lips, it does not even taste of anything. Utterly lightweight. I am thinking of purchasing a few more shades and probably will! XD

The unique applicator is also easy to use and ensure even distribution. Easy to achieve clean lines because product doesn’t gloop!

One drawback would be that it does take a while to clean off, but that’s how lip stains are.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in Rosewood Gang, a dark pink/ mauve shade. I love this formula and I think it's my favorite matte AND liquid lipstick. I've always liked a matte effect, but oftentimes it's simply too drying for my easily-chapped lips. I also don't really understand the liquid lipstick craze as I usually don't see what they do better than a usual bullet lipstick, and I like a more transparent effect versus a very opaque color.

However, I LOVE this. The formula has a thin consistency and it doesn't feel like you're coating your lips with paint, like so many matte liquid lipsticks do. It feels more like an ink. It doesn't dry fully matte, so if that's your expectation, look for something else. Anything that dries matte also dries out your lips a LOT, so I like this better. It doesn't have a satin finish either, I would say it's right there in the middle. It transfers a bit, but once again having tried formulas that don't, they're very drying. This leaves a beautiful, even stain on your lips once it starts wearing off.

The applicator is the best I've used, it allows you to draw a line as well as filling in the lips quickly and very efficiently. I like to blot the edges a bit with my fingers so it doesn't look too precise.

This lipstick has a very strong berry scent that disappears once you apply it. The packaging, in my opinion, could be a bit better- i.e replacing the plastic cap with a metal one would make it look a bit less cheap. But it's sturdy and it works.

I purchased one of these in the color 1 which is the bright red. First of all, it is a hefty price tag for a lip product. For $36, you get .20 oz or 6 mL of product. The packaging is very beautiful and just feels expensive. The glass tube looks matte and the gold cap with the letters YSL accompanies it. The applicator is very strange. It is sort of like a paddle with flat edges which helps a lot when you want a perfect line. The product itself is scented, but I am not entirely sure what the scent is. It smells floral...maybe violets? I really like the way they designed the applicator because it makes it very easy for me to draw a perfect line. Unfortunately, the product stains, so you will have to keep your hand steady. I would not recommend applying this in the car or plane. I do not think that the color is opaque enough in one swipe. Despite the red being absolutely stunning, I have to actually build it with layers. Building layers also helps for the lip product to stay on longer. The first layer is underwhelming, so I go over my lips with maybe three to four layers. I also let the layers dry a bit by fanning. When you are finally finished applying, you will notice how it doesn't dry down completely. It actually takes time to dry down and become matte.

Once you give it time to dry down, it will not budge. Through long work days, greasy foods, drinks, and talking...this product has outstanding staying power. I receive compliments on the vibrant color too! I think YSL really did a great job with the formula. I just wish that it didn't take so many layers to become that vibrant red. It is also a bit of a chore to put on. It isn't an easy lip product because it stains, so you really have to work with a mirror to be precise.
I honestly don't mind putting in more effort to use this product because it really delivers on staying power. I might pick up another shade!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me, this is a perfect shade! Not sure about the premise of being a lip stain - I don’t find that it particularly “sets” and I would say that the red lip look is quite high maintenance but very worth it!

The Yves Saint Laurent Tatouage Couture Liquid Matte Lip Stain is a matte lipstick with an innovative square shaped tip applicator. I really think this the applicator makes it easy to outline your lips. This isn't really that much of a lip stain- it transfers easily, and I cannot get over the floral taste of this "lip stain."