Yves Saint Laurent Tatouage Couture Liquid Matte Lip Stain

3.8

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in Rosewood Gang, a dark pink/ mauve shade. I love this formula and I think it's my favorite matte AND liquid lipstick. I've always liked a matte effect, but oftentimes it's simply too drying for my easily-chapped lips. I also don't really understand the liquid lipstick craze as I usually don't see what they do better than a usual bullet lipstick, and I like a more transparent effect versus a very opaque color.

However, I LOVE this. The formula has a thin consistency and it doesn't feel like you're coating your lips with paint, like so many matte liquid lipsticks do. It feels more like an ink. It doesn't dry fully matte, so if that's your expectation, look for something else. Anything that dries matte also dries out your lips a LOT, so I like this better. It doesn't have a satin finish either, I would say it's right there in the middle. It transfers a bit, but once again having tried formulas that don't, they're very drying. This leaves a beautiful, even stain on your lips once it starts wearing off.

The applicator is the best I've used, it allows you to draw a line as well as filling in the lips quickly and very efficiently. I like to blot the edges a bit with my fingers so it doesn't look too precise.

This lipstick has a very strong berry scent that disappears once you apply it. The packaging, in my opinion, could be a bit better- i.e replacing the plastic cap with a metal one would make it look a bit less cheap. But it's sturdy and it works.

I purchased one of these in the color 1 which is the bright red. First of all, it is a hefty price tag for a lip product. For $36, you get .20 oz or 6 mL of product. The packaging is very beautiful and just feels expensive. The glass tube looks matte and the gold cap with the letters YSL accompanies it. The applicator is very strange. It is sort of like a paddle with flat edges which helps a lot when you want a perfect line. The product itself is scented, but I am not entirely sure what the scent is. It smells floral...maybe violets? I really like the way they designed the applicator because it makes it very easy for me to draw a perfect line. Unfortunately, the product stains, so you will have to keep your hand steady. I would not recommend applying this in the car or plane. I do not think that the color is opaque enough in one swipe. Despite the red being absolutely stunning, I have to actually build it with layers. Building layers also helps for the lip product to stay on longer. The first layer is underwhelming, so I go over my lips with maybe three to four layers. I also let the layers dry a bit by fanning. When you are finally finished applying, you will notice how it doesn't dry down completely. It actually takes time to dry down and become matte.

Once you give it time to dry down, it will not budge. Through long work days, greasy foods, drinks, and talking...this product has outstanding staying power. I receive compliments on the vibrant color too! I think YSL really did a great job with the formula. I just wish that it didn't take so many layers to become that vibrant red. It is also a bit of a chore to put on. It isn't an easy lip product because it stains, so you really have to work with a mirror to be precise.
I honestly don't mind putting in more effort to use this product because it really delivers on staying power. I might pick up another shade!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me, this is a perfect shade! Not sure about the premise of being a lip stain - I don’t find that it particularly “sets” and I would say that the red lip look is quite high maintenance but very worth it!

The Yves Saint Laurent Tatouage Couture Liquid Matte Lip Stain is a matte lipstick with an innovative square shaped tip applicator. I really think this the applicator makes it easy to outline your lips. This isn't really that much of a lip stain- it transfers easily, and I cannot get over the floral taste of this "lip stain."

So YSL comes out with a whole hoard of lip products again. I feel like their wardrobe (as they like to call it) of extensive albeit overpriced lip products is such a huge expansion, you are bound to find something in the line that you enjoy. To the glossy and vinyl cream stains, now there is the matte sister. This is similar to the other trendy liquid lipsticks that have come out in other lines. This is the ultra-thin formula, that is quite drying and does not set entirely (similar to NARS POWERMATTE.)

The formula is quite drying on my sensitive lips. I do end up with some peeling after 2-3 days of continuous wear. The formula also dries down and makes your lips look rather parched. There is less transfer than the Nars Powermatte had, which is probably why it looks and feels drier. The colour line is more neutral than the majority of the past YSL lines, but there are still many oranges, reds, and pinks to balance out the nudes (#16 is a nice terracotta nude, and #23 is a nude, leaning mauve.)

I would recommend it better to research swatches or view in person, because there are so many undertones for different shades. Warm, neutral, and cool reds for example are littered through the line.

This isn't my favourite YSL stain, but the packaging is glorious. Sometimes I wonder if I am a little crazy, but perhaps I should stay with the Vinyl Cream stains which I know are my favourite...

Video Reviews & Tutorials