Essence Instant Matt Makeup Setting Spray

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/8/2017 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I tend to stay away from matte setting sprays as I like a dewy look, and my skin is somewhat dry. I ran out of setting spray and this was NZ$5 so I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. It's not the best, but definitely not the worst. Doesn't leave my face feeling tight and it's quite cooling and refreshing now that its Summer here in NZ. The spray nozzle is a good one too. Don't know if it makes my makeup last longer, but definitely sets it and stops it looking so powdery etc. Would repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I am the first to review this product on MUA...the word "Matt" is not a misspelling on my part. Essence spells it without the e.

Sales rep at Ulta wanted to get my 2 cents on this product because she said it's been flying off the shelf since first launching recently. And I have to say, I really like it. I have tried all of the setting sprays on the Ulta/Sephora market at the moment. Urban Decays are decent but not perfect, Dermalogica broke me out, Mario Badescu's contain peppermint oil, and my biggest issue with a LOT of the sprays on the market; are that they contain alcohol denat high up on the list. It's hard to find a setting spray that won't upset my sensitive/rosacea/acne prone skin. And then the few that don't, come at the cost of actually making my makeup look worse. I almost gave up.

What drew me to Essence's Instant Matt wasn't the cheap price tag. I'd be willing to spend more. It was the no-thrill ingredient list that prompted me to try this. I have pasted it below.

I wouldn't say this makes any of my foundations more matte. But I will say it does dry down to nothing, which is a lot more than most "matte" setting sprays on the market do. It takes away any powder-y finish without adding dewiness back in. I use a very matte foundation (Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse - review in profile). This pairs perfectly with it and sort of blends my make up into one another (fndt/blush/powder/concealer). So it looks a lot more natural. I will repurchase.

INGREDIENT LIST:
Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Enantia Chlorantha Bark Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Oleanolic Acid, Phenoxyethanol.