Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

4.7

on 4/25/2018 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I wear this almost every single day!! When I don't wear it, I wish I had. I'm sorry the other ladies who gave bad reviews didn't have the same experience. Each person's skin chemistry is different... This foundation looks amazing on me and makes me feel so beautiful. I'm combo-oily and find the thin, very pigmented, quick drying, liquid formula works much better with my skin than others have. You may have to blot if you're oil slick oily (like I used to be in my 20's and 30's), but once you do, you see the makeup hasn't moved.

APPLICATION IS KEY! You need to find the right application tool, moisturize well, and work in sections using the foundation sparingly, starting from where you need the most coverage. Any makeup artist will give you the same advice, and it will make all the difference with any foundation you use. Other foundations may glide on easier, but they may not last as long, stay true to color or stay matte...

When I first tried this (a deluxe sized sample), with the Fenty foundation brush, I hated both. It looked blotchy and dried too quick. The color (420) was also too light and neutral toned for me. I wore it for a 1/2 a day and was unimpressed. I decided to try it again after wanting more matte results for hot Houston summers, and more coverage than my fave Clinique Even Better (Amber) provides. I returned the foundation brush and got #430, then tried again. Rather than dotting it all over, I mixed 1 pump of 420 and 1 pump of 430 on the back of my hand, then dotted it on my chin and jawline, where I have the most hyperpigmentation, then blended out with my beauty blender. It looked great - a SPOT ON match!! I added more to my cheeks, then used the excess on my forehead, etc. and added a tiny bit more where needed. The application was smooth, even, matte but not too matte and gorgeous. I got lots of compliments!

I have lots of texture and scars on my skin from years of adult acne and although this doesn't work miracles there, it makes my skin look youthful, radiant, smooth, and even. I find it's full coverage on me, but I'm not a full coverage fan (it always looks cakey on me and accentuates pores) so maybe it's medium-full. It covers everything I need it to and the color makes me feel like "me." I finally found a foundation that doesn't mute my brown skin or dull the warm golden undertone.

I'm so grateful for this Fenty foundation as woman of color with very deep skin and very warm undertone as well as cool and neutral!! I have literally tried every foundation high end and drugstore and can never find a color match, even when mixing, and the color fades over time under my oils or breaks me out. This color range is such a blessing and contrary to reviews, it does not oxidize, it dries down to true color. Just like when paint dries, it's a slightly lighter/darker color... oxidation means the color changes due to exposure with your unique skin chemistry and oils or even sunscreen mixing with the foundation. That doesn't happen here. Once it dries, the color stays true, all day, all night. I moisturize and add sunscreen before applying and have no issues with it feeling heavy or greasy.

I have no cons! My pros are:
*Good price point for over an oz.
*AMAZING color range for WOC
*Easy to use pump and easy to hold tall bottle
*True color that doesn't oxidize
*Somewhat build-able coverage (too much can look cakey)
*Doesn't need setting powder
*Behaves well with sunscreen, serums, primers, moisturizers, etc
*Matte but not too matte; still looks like skin
*No strong fragrance/scent
*Doesn't transfer easily and get on collars/clothes

This coupled with the Invisimatte blotting powder for touch ups is heaven!! (I only need to blot in the summer; my skin looks great all day with this in spring/fall/winter).

on 10/9/2017 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

*Love*!!!!

A few points:

1. Moisturise *really* well underneath the foundation and use a hydrating primer. Even if you're combo/oily. Especially if you're normal/dry!! And especially, during the colder months.
If you are really oily - you might get away with your normal routine. I'd stay away completely from mattifying primers.

2. This dries down very, very fast. So no dotting all over the face and then leisurely blending. I think the reason people are experiencing patchiness, is because they are not working in sections or not blending quickly enough. I dot some on my face, start blending out with my fingers and then use a damp beautyblender to blend out the rest.

3. Don't place the foundation under your eyes if you have lines. This dried out the skin under my eyes and emphasised the few lines that I have (that I normally barely see!!). So, by the time I added concealer, it just creased up really badly. The next day I left out my undereye area and just added concealer when I had finished blending the foundation everywhere else. Made a world of a difference!

4. Actually, don't use at all if you have lines all over your face.... This works best if your face is (relatively) smooth.

5. I've read that a lot of people have had issues with the undertones. I can only speak for the shade that I bought - it's 450 and fits me perfectly. But it appears that if you have neutral or red undertones (or if you are generally of a lighter complexion) you might have a bit of a challenge finding your right shade as some shades appear to run too red or too dull.

Overall, the finish is beautiful!! As I mentioned before, the foundation dries down really quickly, and therefore doesn't really transfer (or only transfers very little). If you blend properly and you have the right shade, this will look like your skin! Really nice, beautiful skin. The 'filter' claim is definitely true.
After 12 hours of wear, I have some oil coming through (I don't like to blot and I don't like to set with powder), however it's more dewiness than oiliness. It doesn't get greasy at all and stays in place the entire time - even when you sweat.
I also didn't experience any oxidisation which is a bonus.

Overall, I'd buy again. I really, really like this foundation and it's amongst my favourites (NARS Sheer Glow, Becca Ultimate Coverage, Smashbox 15 Hour, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Kevin Aucoin Etherealist).

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I didn't even know that Fenty Beauty was a thing until the day before its launch, and even then, I wasn't interested in the foundation until I started watching reviews. Many reviewers raved about the skin-like finish, ease in application, and self-setting attributes, so I wanted to try for myself. Off to Sephora I went to grab samples! (BTW get matched or match yourself in person if at all possible!)

My skintone is an exact match for NW43 in MAC Studio Fix Powder and NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Amande. My match in Fenty is 390. I can also wear 400, though it is slightly red on my skintone. This applied like a dream! I had to work in sections because it sets fast. I applied it with a beauty blender, and it was alright. Seemed like the sponge absorbed a lot of the foundation. It also looks good dabbed on with fingers and blended with a flat-top brush, or just smeared on with fingers. MY KINDA FOUNDATION!

It left a beautiful skin-like finish, like I had naturally flawless skin instead of the scattered hyperpigmentation I actually have. I also needed no powder to set this. The foundation set all by itself! I was able to apply my blush and highlighter over it with no problems whatsoever. And the wear! It looked good throughout an entire 12-hour shift, meaning that I wore it for 14 hours or so. I think I blotted once halfway through and it looked good the whole time.

All this and I'm 95% sure I won't be purchasing the full-size.

Unfortunately, this foundation gave me those teeny little irritation whiteheads. It broke me out! I'm so sad about it! After about six to seven hours, I get a chance to look in a mirror to check my makeup and there they were. If it wasn't for that, this would be my everyday foundation.

Video Reviews & Tutorials