Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.3

on 2/19/2018 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I am not a foundation wearing gal however I had to try this out. Unfortunately I have to mix 2 colours which is just too much for me to spend on a regular basis. I do love the application of this foundation and it makes your skin look flawless! It wears great all day! I really wish I could find my exact match with one bottle, that's why I didn't give it a 5. I have heard another 20 shades are in the making so hopefully I'll find my shade then. Highly recommend

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So I was pushed into buying this as when I swatched it instore I thought it clung to dry spots/ pores a lot. But the lady who served me gave me all sorts of reasons why like because I had no primer on blah blah. Anyway I bought it, tried it at home and kinda hated it. I’ve since tried it again with Mac strobe cream applied shortly before which seems to help and using a beauty blender. It actually looks pretty nice once all my makeup is on and it’s one of my preferred foundations at the moment but I wouldn’t rebuy as too much hard work. I have normal skin, not particularly dry. Coverage is pretty average too. Still on the hunt for my HG!

on 12/26/2017 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I wear shade 330. I've also worn/wear Becca Bamboo, and NARS Tahoe.

It took me some trial and tribulation to like this foundation. First off STAY AWAY if you have any dryness, this will cling to dry patches like a dog on a steak. Though I would think that anyone with dry skin would stay away from anything that says matte? In my case, I don't have dry skin but get occasional flakiness from exfoliation/retin-a. This foundation was NOT my friend during those times. I also noticed this patchiness when using a brush, but I typically prefer my fingers or a sponge. I guess it wants a VERY smooth and moisturized face to behave correctly. The Fenty primer works OK with this, but I had better success with Becca's primers.

When it *does* work, it looks FLAWLESS. Because it's so finicky though I'm on the fence about repurchasing, though I'll use up the bottle I have.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Gives the skin a dry finish and very difficult to get a proper color match.

on 10/25/2017 12:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Because I have yellow undertones I'm in favor of this foundation because I can use 3 different shades depending on the season. It does dry rather quickly so it's best to apply in 4 sections as opposed to all over your face at once. I also found that it looked best when I used a beauty blender. I tried it on in Sephora before purchasing so after it dried I noticed it was a little darker then once it fully settled even darker. It's nothing drastic but I would suggest going a shade lighter to get your true colour. It is buildable but you will be left with a cakey feeling once you apply two layers.
I gave it 3 because although I love that there are so many shades that caters to my skin tone which I've had a difficult time finding with other brands, I'm not in love with the foundation itself. I have acne scars along my chin so if I'm going out I want full coverage. Id have to use some colour corrector then probably two layers of this when I could just use a thin layer of becca or huda and accomplish the same thing. For every day use I can use my fit me and achieve the same look without layering and it has a matte finish which I personally love.
Once it's finished I personally won't be purchasing again but if you have an even skin tone with yellow undertones, I definitely would recommend you try this out

on 10/22/2017 10:05:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Shade 230- I really like this foundation, I found that I was way less oily (& barely had to touch it up throughout the day) than usual. Coverage lasted about 8 hours. Make sure to prep skin beacuse it can cling to dry spots. I think it applies better with beauty blender than with the brush, it does dry really fast so its best to work in sections and not apply all over your face. The foundation feels really light on my skin. I see other reviews say it oxidizes but I didn't experience that.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

EDIT: I’ve found a buffing brush makes this much easier to blend and I can use it all over. I’ve nearly run out and I’m annoyed my colour has been out of stock for a while - will definitely buy again. I've been trying to find the perfect long-lasting, full coverage foundation to cover my rosacea. I've tried Estee Lauder Double Wear (which I regret buying); Lock It; and a bunch of others I've already reviewed :)

I. Love. This. I dot all over and use a stippling brush to blend. You have to be quick as it dries down quickly to a semi-matte, non-transferable coverage. I moisturise well and like to use Illamasqua Radiance Veil primer - I'm a combination skin with occasional dry patches.

I have 140 and could probably stand to go a shade lighter. It's got yellow undertones which is OK for me as I'm pretty neutral but others may not like it.

I do agree with other reviewers (and have knocked off a lippy) that you really need to have untextured skin for this to look nice. Under my eyes where I have lines, this looks really awful. Easily combat by using a different product there, but tbh I'd rather just use one product not a dozen. I do powder using UD Velvetizer which smooths the appearance of any texture so it's certainly not unusable - you just need to find what works for you. It lasts a full day at work and still looks lovely after a long day, especially if I use a setting spray (which I always do - currently Rimmel).

What I love about this foundation is that it feels natural and not too heavy on the skin, even though it covers all my redness. I found that ELDW for some reason wears really red on my skin, and I have to put on several layers on my cheeks. I hate it, it gets like a mask and it doesn't last anyway!

Overall, I'm really, really impressed with this foundation. If you're looking to try something new, then you could go more wrong than this foundation. It has an excellent shade range and while pricey, it's about the same as other high end products and actually cheaper than some others. Definitely get shade matched though if you can, as it does oxidise, although not (in my case anyway) to orange!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This is an excellent foundation! I used the sample from Sephora for one day. Loved the perfect color match on me and the super lightweight texture. My skin looked flawless.

I have combination skin with dry cheeks and a moderately oily t-zone. I moisturized and primed my skin before applying the foundation. I also used a pressed setting powder over it to maximize the control of my oily t-zone. I just had to use blotting powder a few times during the day. It was gorgeous.

Now here's the problem. I have very sensitive skin and I have to treat general allergies (hay fever in the Spring, cats, dogs, etc). After wearing this foundation for only one day, my skin was already forming inflamed little bumps when I washed it off at night. And my overall face was tender to the touch. The product has pineapple and papaya fruit extracts. I learned from another reviewer that these are known irritants for people with sensitive skin.

So if you have sensitive skin, definitely wear the Sephora sample first before proceeding with a full bottle. And if you don't have sensitive skin, I know that you will love this product!

on 9/21/2017 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

As a foundation junkie, there was no way that I was not going to buy this foundation. I'm also not big on celebrity brands but after spending about 8 hours on and off watching YouTube reviews on the Fenty products, I really wanted to try this.
I'm 62 years old. My skin is dry. Very dry. My skincare routine is very important to me. Because of this I was a bit nervous to try but I went to Sephora and was color matched. The two colors that were swatched were 160 and 170--Light/Cool. I took two samples home with me because I really wanted to "try before buy". (I did buy the Gloss Bomb and the primer--WOW).
The next morning, I made sure my skin was well-hydrated with serum and cream and when dried, I applied the Fenty primer. (review to come). Allowing about 5 minutes for the primer to set, I went ahead to apply the foundation. NOTE: Before applying the foundation, you MUST shake the bottle. Shaking the bottle helps the foundation to mix and you will not have any oxidation. At first I used a foundation brush and didn't like the way the brush applied. Then I used my finger to apply and blended in with a dampened Real Techniques blending sponge. This application worked like a charm. Next, I allowed the foundation to dry completely then buffed with a large buffing brush. Then I sprayed setting spray. The foundation did not feel dry neither did my skin. The finish was superior and the coverage is very, very good. I don't want a full coverage and one pump was all that was needed.
I've heard from some reviewers that contour can lift this foundation. This did not happen with me. I used the Match Stix in Amber. It is a very cool taupe and with my fair coloring is a great contour. Blush, everything else stayed put.
This foundation has been a delight. I've gotten many compliments on how great my skin looks--my husband, who can't stand foundation mentioned that my makeup looked very soft and natural. At a price point of $34, this is a great value because you don't need a lot of product. If you remember to shake the bottle it won't oxodize. Honestly, I had no oxidization at all! Hope this helps. Oh..and this cosmetics line is very "old lady" friendly!

on 9/18/2017 12:20:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Ok, hear me out. Last week my friend ( Medium with yellow/olive undertones, oily t-zone) and I (Fair with neutral/pinkish tones, oily all over) went to Sephora and immediately went to the Fenty display. Everything is absolutely gorgeous looking. We both walked out with foundation (me 100, her 290) about one shade lighter since we heard many people say they oxidized. We also both bought the brush, which is beautiful, and I got a highlighter.

We put on our new foundation the next day and met up. I had problems immediately. Applying this foundation with the brush looked horrific. It immediately sank into pores and little indents I didn't even know I had. So I washed it off and tried my beauty blender. Much better. It dried and looked a little dull, but I know throughout the day it'll change. I did my usual routine minus setting spray as I wanted to see how it worked on its own. My friend used her Smashbox primer and the Fenty brush to apply hers. She liked the way it applied but did say her brush shed a little. So did mine.

We meet up during the day and go outside to look at each others makeup. So far...not so good. Coverage was eh, but we do realize we're used to heavier product. Every hair on each of our our faces was emphasized, which we've never seen happen before, and in some some areas it looked caked on. Ok, no big deal. This is a new formula for us both and we'll learn how to use it. About 3 hours into our day our skin started to very lightly get oily, which was great. Usually I am absolutely greasy by that point. But I looked in my mirror and noticed the areas around my mouth, chin and nose were really creased and patchy, so I used a concealer brush to smooth it out. Not looking so great. My friends makeup looked patchy as well, and every pore was visible. Maybe we did something wrong...

5 hours in and I needed to go home, I was so embarrassed. It had separated into something awful, spots were starting to show through, pores were on full display, it was beading and it looked like I hadn't even bothered blending the product and just slapped it on. My friend still wanted to give it a chance, but I could not. I returned it that night. Later in the evening my friend let me know that her face looked awful and that she was very sad, because this was the first foundation that completely matched her skin.

We both really enjoyed the colors and how light it felt. Even while it was sliding off of our faces, it felt weightless. Give it a shot, Sephora has a great return policy.