Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Bottom Line: A decent foundation but the deal breaker is that it oxidizes like crazy!

Finish - Matte, but not in a drying way. The finish is beautiful and I'm saying that as someone with major skin imperfections (blemishes/ texture from acne scarring). If you have smooth skin, I could see this foundation giving a flawless finish.

Staying Power- This foundation claims to set itself and it does.I didn't use a powder or setting spray and it lasted me a good 5 hours before I started seeing hints of oil from my t-zone. With my other foundations, I have to touch up after 3 hours. Even after a full 8 hour work day, it still looked pretty good. The best staying power out of all my foundations.

Coverage- Medium-high. This foundation is definitely buildable to high coverage and a little goes a long way.

Overall: This foundation was so promising but where it fell flat was when it oxidized on me. By the end of the day, the foundation turned so dark and orange that I looked like an Oompa Loompa! Now I could just buy one a shade or two lighter but then I'd have to deal with looking like a ghost until the oxidation kicks in. It's just not worth the hassle when there are so many other foundations to try.

on 10/15/2017 11:26:00 PM

Combo skin and while it lasted well throughout the day, it was so mask-like and drying. It only looked good from afar and started causing cystic acne, and I never get acne of any kind. Also, like other complaints, it would not stay on my nose and highlighted pores. Hard pass.

on 10/15/2017 6:11:00 PM

No. Just no. Like so many better foundations. I have no clue what this is offering. I mean I guess if you have perfect skin? It's like a veil. But I just found it really off. My opinion only. I have the most finicky skin. Combo. Breakout prone. Mature. Maybe best for younger girls.

on 10/12/2017 10:20:00 PM

Me: 43 years old, very few lines, combo oily skin that can get very oily in warmer weather. Large_ish pores on nose, no old acne marks, lots of red blotches, dark purple circles!

I'm Deauville in NARS, 20 in MUFE F and B, MAC N 4.

This is hands down the best foundation I've ever purchased! I cannot for the life of me see a line between skin and foundation...at all. Best shade I've ever used and I've been wearing base since 1990...16 years old.

I wear 140 and its perfect. It goes on like a dream. I used to use it with the It Cosmetics foundation brush and while I liked it, there were brush marks on the area between my brows and my nose. Fingers (for me) works best. The foundation is definitely on the watery side and with clean fingers it just melts beautifully into skin. Poreless, creamy, solid...no cake, no streaks, no redness, no circles....I'm in awe. I take my favourite huge powder brush (forget the name...it's orange and promoted by Pixiwoo) and fluff on the lovely Maybelline Fit Me loose powder in Light Medium and then do a light contour with Hoola Light and a top with a peachy pink blush. A few sprays of All Nighter and my makeup lasts literally all day.

You know it's good when it's 4 o clock and you keep checking your makeup out in your rearview mirror! No budge, no oily breakthrough, and no patchiness. I plan on repurchashing for a long time!

The bottle is also quite large and very chic and stylish. Excellent base for oily skin like mine. Most foundation breaks through by ten in the morning. Not this baby. Great deal for $34 and the amount of product you get also!

My friend wears 380 and it looks stunning on her, however she is dry and benefits from a moisturizer.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have conflicting feelings about this foundation. My shade is 230 (Asian with neutral undertones). I think the finish is beautiful and while most would complain about the oxidation, I actually kind of liked that it makes me look like I have a natural bronze but not to the point where my face and neck do not match. Most other foundations look too flawless and a hair too light compared to my neck. Now I'm sure this isn't most people's cup of tea just know it does oxidize. I liked that this blended perfectly. I have normal skin (sometimes dry) but textured which is my issue when it comes to this foundation. You definitely need to prep and by prep, I don't just mean a pore filling/hydrating primer. You have to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and prime otherwise this foundation will emphasize all the nooks and crannies on your face.

The best finish I find is using a brush that you can "wipe" or blend the foundation in downward strokes similar to the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush or ELF Ultimate Blending Brush (or the brush that she sells) but make sure it's clean or you will have a streaky application. A sponge is also ideal if you wanted a lighter, more natural coverage but you will have to use a few more pumps with this method. I definitely do not recommend a flat top kabuki brush (which is usually my favorite method of applying any foundation) because this will emphasize the texture and sort of sit on top of it when you press it into the skin. I wore this to a concert but stupidly mixed it with other foundations which I HIGHLY suggest you avoid because it separated like CRAZYYYY. Overall it's a good everyday foundation. It will last you an 8 hour work day but not into the night. I probably won't return it but I wouldn't repurchase it either.

on 10/4/2017 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was so excited to try this because it was super hyped up online. I got samples from sephora when this first launched, and tested it out before buying a bottle. I did not find my exact shade match. I am about NC10-15 and 130 was the best match, but still too dark. Since the coverage is so high you really need to match it well.

I hope if they add more shades they bring out a paler yellow shade, all the shades under 130 are far too neutral/pink for me.

I have dry skin and when prepped well it sat alright on my skin.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this foundation a few days after it came out, because I was quite curious whether it would live up to all the hype. There were so many people raving about it and I just wanted to find out for myself if this foundation was that good. Also, Fenty Beauty is cruelty-free and this foundation is vegan-friendly.

My shade is 140, which is slightly too light, but it oxidises and after contouring my face and using bronzer, it looks extremely natural on my face. I use a synthetic flat-top brush and use stippling motions to apply the foundation. This foundation dries very quickly and can look streaky, if not applied properly. I have dry skin and this foundation can make my face look extra dry, so I moisturise my skin quite heavily before I apply this product. At the beginning this foundation can look a little patchy, but for me it blends beautifully into the skin once my skin starts to get a little oily. It has medium coverage, which is apparently buildable, but I haven't tried layering it.

The foundation lasts pretty much the whole day and I don't have to touch it up at all during the day. It is available in 40 shades, so there is definitely something for everyone, which is amazing.
Overall, it is a great foundation and it matches my skin tone almost perfectly. The downside is that it is drying and can be difficult to blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

on 10/3/2017 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Horrible. I don't understand how people were sharing this foundation on social media like it was some holy grail, don't believe it. It is nothing special. First off, it is super runny but dries very cakey looking on the skin. This made my skin texture look bumpy, even though I do not have any acne. After about 4 hours the foundation creased and was coming off on my oily spots, such as around the corners of my nose. The color was also off -- both shades I was matched to appeared way too pinkish. By the end of the day it was a smeared, blotchy mess. I did use the primer as well. My wet n wild photo focus foundation I also just tried out actually looks and holds up way better, and it was $3.99.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Let me start off by saying I was very excited about this foundation because of the shade range. I thought finally I will be able to get an exact shade or atleast close to my shade without having to mix in 2 different foundation shades. I was matched to 290 on this foundation. I actually went out to Sephora store to pick up a couple of the Fenty Beauty Products on the launch date. To be honest I don't even go to Sephora and did it just for this launch. That's how excited I am. Then it went downhill from there.

The packaging is nice. Frosted Glass with a pump (heck yeah) take note Estee Lauder. Hahahaha! It's minimalist but very feminine.

The shade at the store matched me almost. Granted I was in a rush and the lady that was assisting me did not mention anything about it drying down darker or to pick up a couple of shades lighter than my skin tone, so I went to the closes shade to match me with a warmer olive undertone. This dries down 2 shades darker than me after application. During a 12hr wear, I was not prepared for it to oxidised anymore than it has and I purposely set this with a lighter shade pressed powder to help with the colour but unfortunately this just turned orange. Like a bad fake tan orange on my face.

Putting the shade aside for a minute let's get on with the formulation. I am a combo skin. Very oily at my T-zone. I have a fair bit of active acne from the medication I am currently on and it's messing with my hormones. I do have a fair bit of hyperpigmentation also. So the thought of having this foundation Full Coverage and Mattifying super exciting. This is more liquidy than I anticipated.

I was also not told and not having seen any reviews when I got this foundation, well I did what I would normal do in day to day application and dot this all over my face. LMAO because that was a HUGE mistake! Despite the fact that this is liquidy, it dries down so quickly! I had dry foundation dots all over my face. I couldn't blend them at all. I started all over again and worked in sections. In saying that, I have worked with a lot of Matte Foundation and this is by far the hardest formulation I have ever come across. Brush will be quicker but it's a horrid finish. Beauty Sponge is a decent finish but I am stressing out having to blend it quick. I'm not here for any anxiety over a foundation. Once the first layer dries down and you try to build it in areas that just didn't do enough, well it's super patchy. It didn't work well with me in building this foundation. I will give this foundation a solid medium (2 layer) non buildable if that makes any sense.

If you put this under your eye as well and put a concealer under there, it is so drying!!!!! It will go patchy and it will skip when you are blending your concealer. Not ideal to put under the eye also. Just don't do it. It also emphasized all of my fine lines under there. JUST DON'T DO IT!

This excentuates all of my dry patches, even area that was not dry (hahahaha!), Settles in my fine lines, smile lines and boy oh boy horrid on textures. I can't speak about pores as I use a pore filling primers too. Just HORRID! I think this is the worst foundation I have actually ever put on my face. From application, to the finish and the longevity. This also is not invisible. You will know you are wearing a foundation because it is cakey in so many area of my face which I usually don't get in my other foundations in my collection.

Now for something that is mattifying, my oil started coming through by 5hr mark. It does not seperate which is good but I am super greasy. Her blotting pressed powder is MAGIC though. That in my opinion is a must have in the entire collection. This is cakey, it gathers pretty bad on my smile line, upper lip, sides of my nose and the side of my cheek near my nose. I must say though, once your oil started to come through, dry patches is gone.

Is it worth $50? A big resounding NOOOOOOOO for me anyway. This did not work for me for the 8 days that I was trying to work with it. I have tried to mix this with other HG foundation that I have and just NO. I have given up. If the shade was off and it was amazing I will happily go buy the right shade. This to me have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Primers Tested
*Lancome La Pro Base Primer - one of my HG and it failed on this. It was easy to blend as it is silicone.
*Becca Primer Luminious - this played the nicest with this foundation. It helps with the blending and finish of the foundation.
*Cover FX Mattifying Primer - super horrors with this
*Becca Velvet Primer - it's OK. Still horrid
*Urban Decay Deslick - I got no words! The worst combo out of the bunch.

Setting Powder Tested
*RCMA no colour powder - become too drying
*Laura Mercier Loose Translucent Powder - Cakey
*Charlotte Tilbury - Pressed Powder - Saved the day
*Fenty Beauty Blotting Pressed Powder - Great for both setting and blotting. This performed the best with this foundation.
*Kat Von D Pressed Blotting Powder - surprisingly did amazing to airbrush the finish.
*MAC Mineralized Powder - super horrid
*MAC Studio Fix Pressed Powder - Cakey

Setting Spray
*Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day - this is one of my HG and I found this is the only one that actually helped with the longevity.
*Australis Mattifying Setting Mist - Nope Nope Nope!
*Cover FX Mattifying Setting Spray - Nope Nope Nope!
*Pixi by Petra - Glow Mist - Really helped the foundation to melt more and helped with the dryness that's for sure. Didn't do well for the longevity but helped improve the finish 100%.

Best applied with a sponge. Gotta work quickly in sections. Use a very thick moisturizer to help with dryness, best work with silicone or lotion type primer. For me atleast, I have to set it with powder. If I don't it's a hot mess! I will try to mix in some of my Cover FX custom cover drops to see if I can add some more coverage so I don't have to later it on and avoid caking. Sad that it