Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by hair type : Other
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.8

Me and my mum both got shade matched to Fenty foundation during our latest sneaky shenanigans at Sephora. I was matched to 120 and she was matched to 220. Both our shade matches are impeccable and blend into our skins flawlessly. However, that is sadly where the positive points end. The "boundary breaking" shade selection is the biggest selling point with this line but unfortunately it doesn't have much else to offer. The finish is a dry powdery matte which manages to highlight any texture or slight imperfections you may have and it doesn't wear particularly good either. By the end of the day my t-zone was shiny and coverage had noticeably faded. It is fairly easy to blend with a brush or Beauty Blender but the problem is it adheres to some areas of the face whilst going patchy/uneven on other spots. I was tempted to just keep this hoping for better results when summer comes around but I'm impatient so I returned it. Kat Von D Lock It, Estee Lauder Double Wear, Bobbi Brown Skin Longwear Weightless, Lancome Teint Idole Ultra, Diorskin Forever, Nars Sheer Glow, YSL All Hours etc are all better choices.

Pretty much every other foundation that I've tried or owned is superior to this crap by Rihanna which should be sold at Walmart for $13. This is drugstore quality makeup being sold at Sephora and touted as "highend". But to be honest there are drugstore foundations that are actually better than this. Sorry but someone had to say it.

on 10/11/2017 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of the rare reviews where I'd actually go out and buy this product tomorrow if I ran out of it! I'm totally in love with this foundation for my long (10h) workdays.
This foundation is a matte, medium coverage foundation with some shimmer to it so that it looks like there is some glow on the high points of your face even when you don't have highlighter on. But don't let that fool you into thinking there's anything dewy about it. It's a very dry finish - you really don't need to powder to set. RiRi is all about matte skin and then adding shimmer back on top. This is not a no-makeup or natural finish foundation, but it does make your skin look flawless if you do it right.

A few comments:
- putting too much of this on will make your face look dry and crepey. the reviews I've seen of YouTubers who didn't love it all did this mistake
- work in zones and move fast AF with your brush or sponge. like one cheek at a time fam or your face is going to cake
- don't get fooled by the liquid consistency and try and use a floppy brush to apply. dense synthetic brushes and sponges work fine, but floppier brushes don't lay down the product properly, streak, and then it dries down fast and you're left with a complete patchy mess
- I tried it with HG mineral primer, but that's too dry. I went out and bought the RiRi matching primer and that works really well
- go to Sephora and get a colour match...you really can't tell from the internet swatches which one is going to match because it completely changes colour once it's dried

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Of the 10,000 various foundations I own, I can honestly say that this one has taken over the top spot for me. I'm NC44 in MAC and am wearing 350 in this one. I have never had a more suitable match, this foundation looks so nice and natural on me. It also has good staying power on me. I normally experience T-zone oiliness throughout the day and still get a little when wearing this, but nothing that's offputting. I am really impressed with this product and am glad that I purchased it.

on 6/3/2018 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have to admit that I was very leery of this foundation after reading all of the drastically mixed reviews! I went ahead and took the plunge. The shade range is amazing! Having been told that it will darken a bit after setting, I got the 180Warm which is a good match for my NC20-25 skin. It’s a tad light as I’m using self tanner now, but I just add bronzer to my cheeks and it looks fine. I think the reason some women are not liking this is because it’s really made for super oily skins like mine. It leaves a dry, matte, poreless finish and dries quickly. I couldn’t imagine it working for dry or even combo skin. If you’re even just a little dry, steer clear!! Usually my foundation has slid off my face by the 4 hr mark. Not this one. I use it with her amazing primer which too, I think is made for oily skin. I have to say that so far, I like this foundation a lot and hope it doesn’t break me out. This and Bobbi’s Weightless are my 2 go to’s at this time. Will update..

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation didn't work for me at all. Poor coverage and very cakey. Didn't last even 4 hours. The finish is horrible. Will not recommend this product.

Nope. Definitely not one for me.

I’ve break out prone skin, acne prone skin, clogged prone skin, large pores combination t zone and dry skin on my eye areas.

This broke me out a little after 2 uses, left me with clogged pores and dried out the skin around my eyes/ cheeks.

The finish was lovely though, a nice soft matte as it’s namesake. But it didn’t wear well, cakey and disintegrates after a few hours of wear.

Thankfully I didn’t spend any monies on this as it was a Christmas gift.

Much Overrated imo

on 2/11/2018 11:45:00 AM

This has become my favourite foundation at the moment

I am in the shade 300, which is a medium shade with yellow undertones I would say.
I do think the website and swatches make the shades look a bit darker. So I was expecting more a tan shade, and although this matches me fine. I do think that some of the online descriptions are off. For reference I am 310 sun beige in maybelline and mac nc35. I think I will purchase 310 in fenty next time as I love this foundation a lot and I tan a lot so I would love a shade that will compliment me when am tan

I really do advise to shake the foundation as advised on the bottle before using. As the formula is very runny and you do want the pigment to separate.

I have a technique with this foundation. As everyone has already said, this dries hella quick. It's best to work in sections. I do one half of my face and blend, and then do the other side. I use one and a half pumps for each side. The reason being is that I like a medium-full coverage. This foundation is so easy to layer and build to get the coverage you desire as it's so buildable and non cakey. If you want a more lighter coverage then one pump on both sides would be ok.
I always use a brush and I stipple the foundation in and it literally blurs and fills my pores and covers any imperfections and pigmentation I have. I do prefer using a brush then a sponge with this foundation. As I think it gives a better finish.

So when I first ever tried this foundation. I was shook. I have large pores some texture and some redness. I have a oily T zone, but the rest of my face is dry. It's finish is really beautiful in my opinion. It's a very natrual matte finish. I get wary of matte foundations as they can make me look dull and flaky. But this literally makes my skin look smoother and re touched. It literally sinks into my skin and feels lightweight and lasts a really long time.
My favourite thing about this foundation is that it photographs beautifully.

My skin type is combo/dry. But I would reccomend this for all skin types.
I really love this, and I'm always so picky with foundation that I can't find a major flaw with it. I am going to purchase the primer as I purchased the foundation separetly. I hope I love that too.

To sum up beautiful natrual finish that looks good in any lighting and any picture. Easy to layer and build. Make up sits on top of nice of it. Powder no powder, primer no primer. This always hold up for me personally.

I was surprised I liked this so much myself. As any foundation that says matte in the title. I get nervous. This is the best matte foundation I have.

on 10/19/2017 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Now, I was least excited about Fenty foundation, but I was so wrong about it.

I guess my concern was - would it work for dry skin? Because it is a "soft matte" foundation. Plus some people were saying in their videos onlince that it oxidizes/changes colour a bit as it sets. I highly recommend buying this foundation at the store (not online). 40 shades is an overwhelming amount.

On my dry skin it actually looks very natural and becomes more dewy as the day goes by. I find that it gives me a good medium coverage, which is buildable, but you can easily sheer it out if you mix it with a primer or anything like that. I got mine in the shade 150, which suits me perfectly (I am around NC20-25 MAC). You can see me wear it here and read more about other Fenty products here (http://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2017/09/14/Fenty-On-The-Brain). This foundation lasts all day long, doesn't get patchy, won't feel drying. I do use a really good moisturizer underneath it, so that might be the case.

I prefer a light coverage, so save it for my "more important" days when I want my skin to look flawless. You still need a concealer with it though to cover spots. Overall - it is a good one!

on 1/31/2019 7:47:00 AM

Best foundation I ever bought. Stays on well beyond 12h. I do get shiny but that´s ok because the foundation does not smudge and stays undisturbed when blotting. I still have not found that miracle product that will keep the shine away throughout the day and so I made my peace with my skin. It also does not clog pores and I really don´t feel aware of it when I´m wearing makeup. I do feel that this is all I wished ELDW to be, as my friends kept raving about it, but I just couldn´t get along with it.
So, thank you Fenty people for a great product!

PS: would suggest to people interested in buying this foundation to be aware that shades do oxidize, a lot. So first do try out samples of shades lighter than actual skin. It´s bothersome but I think it´s worth it. Good luck!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got 2 samples of this even though I already found an awesome liquid foundation called Photo Focus by Wetnwild - anyway, I wanted to give this hyped foundation a try. My color is 130 which is extremely yellow but the actual color blends out to a beautiful neutral shade that matched me perfectly. From 2 ft away, it looks like I'm not wearing anything. The formula though, to me is terrible. It doesn't blend, it rubs off and the smell bothers me. Even though the shade was perfect, when up close, you can see the makeup because it just won't melt into skin. It waters my eyes and gave me a rash on the sides of my nose in addition to everything else. Even when my oils blended in with the foundation, it still looked terrible. The wetnwild foundation (although I haven't found my perfect shade) won't rub off, doesn't transfer, blends in seconds and has no fragrance. Bottom line is I'm glad I got a sample of this so now I know I won't be buying it. Reference: I tried this with and without primer and had the same effect. I wore Paula's Choice Resist SPF 30 zinc sunscreen and Hourglass mineral veil primer and various other primers and it still would not work or blend.