Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by age: 44-55
Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.4

I purchased this foundation in 110 Cool as I am as white as paper and cool toned. I had read and watched a lot of reviews before I chose this shade because I heard that it oxidised and the recommendation was to purchase a shade lighter than what you would normally wear. I am extremely pale so went for the lightest shade.

I applied my Laura Geller primer and then applied this foundation. It applied very well but I found I had to pat it in with my fingers and the coverage just wasn't that great. I could still see my freckles and two acne spots. I applied the second layer and that did nothing to improve the coverage. On me, this coverage is very light and there was no oxidisation as other reviewers had commented. In fact, I looked so pale my neighbour commented on my paleness and asked me if I was sick.

My skin looked lovely as far as blurring effect but the shade was totally wrong. I didn't find that it dried quickly as other reviewers mentioned too, it was quite runny and two pumps covered my entire face and neck. I think I may try adding some Cover FX drops to darken the shade but I am not impressed enough with this foundation to purchase again, I have better.

on 9/16/2017 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the first time that I bought a product because of its bad reviews here. Why? It is because a lot of people ranted about the product being too dry. Well, this for me and other oily gals is not a bad thing. Let me go a bit deeper. When your face, with or without makeup, turns into a grease pan, you would appreciate a bit of oil control. This product reminded me of the Chanel Double something or another that has been discontinued close to a decade. This also reminded me of the original Revlon Colorstay before its few reformulations. Unlike those old foundations however, this product is watery which I like. It provides good coverage and it is buildable. I suggest a bit of moisturizing concealer under the eyes. The product dries fast so I suggest good old fingers in fast action. I think sponge and brush would eat up this product and can cause waste. Of course, I did not use the Fenty brush so my testimony about the brush can be negated easily. The shade 260 was a perfect match for me. Although MAC considers me NC30, I have more neutral skin tone. Last, but not least, although I wouldn't buy makeup just because of the celebrity whose name is on it, I make an exception this time. I love Rihanna and her work so once again, she made me proud!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm pleased with the overall Fenty makeup line. I like that the company includes colors for deepest of complexions. While other companies have done this in the past, sometimes it wasn't well done. However, thumbs up to the Estee Lauder family and Lancome for paying attention to the diversity of warm, cool and olive undertones for deeper complexions.

With that said, let's go into the Fenty line! There's a good amount of product for the price point ($34) of higher-end product sold at Sephora's. Also, while the product line pulls more warm than any other undertone, they include complexions with olive undertones. I purchased 360 which is described as tan to deep with olive undertones. Many people said on youtube that this product oxidizes. However, I didn't experience an orange casting since my color had olive undertones. I noticed the foundation became darker about 15 minutes later when fully settled or meshed with my skin. There may be a need to go a shade lighter than the suggested color, but keep the your undertone in mind. It would be best to go to the store and match your self (swatch, go outside for while, see how it looks fully dried and then decide). Try to get a sample before purchasing.

I found the product definitely matte, yet sheer, as my blemishes showed though the foundation. It's not like Estee Lauder's Stay in Place makeup which is my holy grail (Bronze-5W1). Fenty is good if you prefer lighter coverage. I used a damp sponge, so the look was sheer. It also starts to dry quickly so start applying quickly. I think this makeup works best on oily, even toned skin it may look drying or patchy on normal to dry skin.

Overall I was pleased with the texture for me and color match. I think the real test will be a full work-day, so I may have an update to share.

on 9/17/2017 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Props for the color range!
I'm into soft focus matte foundation kick atm but am a bit leery of celebrity beauty lines as well but I was so overwhelmingly touched by all the shades offered, I had to try it out.

Just for the record, I am about NC25 at the moment and #210 seemed like the best match though a bit too peachy and a shade too dark. I also used the Fenty primer and without for a couple of days to see if the pairing was necessary. I usually use Hourglass Mineral Veil or the YSL d'Or depending on the condition of my skin. The foundation accentuated my pores and wasn't too kind to my textured chin. The coverage is medium and the longevity was good. The primer didn't really do anything noticeably different either.

My verdict? A solid so so if you have oily skin with no textural issues.
The search continues...

Finally after struggling for a week i found the right way for applying this foundation.

i have an oily combi skin with a little acne-prone, so very important is that this foundation is not giving any bad reaction.

During the entire week i've tried out what would be best to put as a base, an i figured it has to be a slightly greasy hidrating spf cream in order to avoid the dry finish, with my La Roche Posay Anthelios KA spf 50+ moisturizing care it works good!!!

Like that my pored are less visible (as with other bases it was the case)..

And most important i found out the way how to apply is best with my fingers, and only 1 pump!!! Like that the 'natural' finish looks best, as before i used 2 pumps and it looked caky..

And than... first they matched me #200 but using it for 2 days i didn't like the colour, too yellow... and they changed it at Sephora for colour 170, the lighter version of cool tones... now it's a match, at first it kind of is too light, but after 10 minutes it's perfect!!

so conclusion is: use only 1 pump with fingers with a good moisturizer as base!! now i have a winner!!!!!

on 9/21/2017 6:47:00 AM

I never have much trust in "celebrity" owned brands, so I only got a few samples of this foundation so I can see for myself if it's all hype or it's really a quality product, and unfortunately it turns out it's just hype, as far as I'm concerned. This is a less than mediocre foundation, there is nothing good I can say about it.

I found a shade that matched me pretty well, at least for the first 15 minutes, after which it oxidized and turned an unflattering shade of yellow. The texture was not flattering on me either, and I don't have texture issues.

Even the coverage wasn't as high as I thought, maybe a medium at best.

The lasting power is probably ok, but I had to wash it out after 5 hours as it had separated on my nose and chin (which are a bit oilier but not excessively so). It also made my skin feel itchy.

For the price and the hype, I would have expected much more.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This is an excellent foundation! I used the sample from Sephora for one day. Loved the perfect color match on me and the super lightweight texture. My skin looked flawless.

I have combination skin with dry cheeks and a moderately oily t-zone. I moisturized and primed my skin before applying the foundation. I also used a pressed setting powder over it to maximize the control of my oily t-zone. I just had to use blotting powder a few times during the day. It was gorgeous.

Now here's the problem. I have very sensitive skin and I have to treat general allergies (hay fever in the Spring, cats, dogs, etc). After wearing this foundation for only one day, my skin was already forming inflamed little bumps when I washed it off at night. And my overall face was tender to the touch. The product has pineapple and papaya fruit extracts. I learned from another reviewer that these are known irritants for people with sensitive skin.

So if you have sensitive skin, definitely wear the Sephora sample first before proceeding with a full bottle. And if you don't have sensitive skin, I know that you will love this product!

on 9/22/2017 5:00:00 AM

Just not my foundation style. Too powdery-looking. And a tad too dry.

on 9/23/2017 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I must say, the shade range alone deserves serious praise and recognition. The fact that the darker shades are selling out like crazy is proof that anyone not beige toned is being ignored by manufacturers. Good on Rihanna for finally giving the people what they have been asking for for years.

Given the crazy mixed reviews on this, I knew I had to try it for myself and draw my own conclusions. I took advantage of Sephora's deluxe sample offer and grabbed shade 220 before it ran out. I am normally not a fan of matte complexion products as they do not compliment my dry, fine lined skin. This foundation is high in silicone, as evidenced in the finish. It's definitely soft-matte, which I like and as the day went on, I noticed the finish became dewy, which I REALLY liked. There isn't any discernible fragrance and I love the packaging - frosted glass with a pump. Yay for pumps!

I applied with my RT sponge with really nice results. The coverage is definitely medium. I plan on using my RT Expert Face Brush with the next application just for comparison's sake. It dries pretty quickly and yes, it does dry down a bit darker but it doesn't really impact the shade in my case. I tried 210 just to see if its a better match once dried down and it was too light so 220 it is! I didn't expect transfer proof wear out of this foundation as its not advertised as one - anyone who expected that set themselves up for disappointment.

Lastly, this foundation did not cause any breakouts!!! While it doesn't replace my HG L'Oreal True Match, it's a keeper and I've since purchased the full size.

on 9/23/2017 1:00:00 PM

I purchased this because, quite simply, I bought the hype. I am tired of trying foundations that look like they match but pale me out, or make me look like an oomph loompa (CT, looking at you). With the promise of so many colors, I was confident I could find a color match. I did. That's where it ends. I wore it the first day and it was nice. I wasn't awwwweeeeeddddd, but it was okay. I have hyper pigmentation and have always been on a quest to find something that will not look like a mask, but not call attention to the melasma/hyperpigmentation on my cheeks. At first, it was okay. Nothing to rave about. It seemed like it was heavier than some of the stuff I have been used to. After having tried IT Cosmetics, I thought this might be my savior. It was matte on my skin. I didn't feel as if I was wearing a mask if I was careful. If I pumped too much, yeah---mask city. I have worn it for a week straight. I am a high school English teacher in South Florida. After a hurricane. My priorities should not be to hide from people because of my foundation and yet, that's what I was doing. Every morning I tried different primers and different foundations, however, at the end of the day, my skin always looked like a hot mess. I live in South Fl. makeup has to hold up, not oxidize and look natural because in the unforgiving light of the sun, it is a "clutch your pearls" moment otherwise. Anyway, my spots looked even darker and my face did too. The foundation was still there, but there was no coverage anymore. I can't explain it, but my skin looked bad....I mean I looked like I had been through a war. UGH...Returning it back to Sephora.