Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

2.8

on 7/10/2018 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

9/20/2018:
I decided to come back and revise my review for this foundation after recent trial and error.

If you are tanner than NC10 and like this foundation - try to see if Catrice HD Liquid Coverage has your shade. That foundation has hands down the most beautiful formula I've ever used on my oily skin. It's not as matte as my beloved Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse (you'll never find anything as matte IME), but the formula is the trade off. I fell in love with the Catrice but was disappointed by the palest shade being too dark. So I googled the ingredient list for a dupe and.......... Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation is very close. Fenty has much better shade options. I thought it was weird I loved the Catrice but hated the Fenty so i went into Sephora to give it another shot. Shade 100 is a dead on match for my <NC10 skin. But it seeps into every imperfection. 120 however....is just like the Catrice (great formula). So this just tells me that the titanium dioxide they have to add a ton of to the palest shades in order to whiten them, is what ruined the foundation. Ugh.

I'm now compromising by mixing my bottle of shade 100 into the Catrice. I prefer the Catrice...just hate their shade range. On the flip side if they made one as pale as the Fenty it'd probably be ruined by the titanium dioxide amount too. Ugh.

Ingredient comparison...

Fenty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation: Water, Dimethicone, Talc, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Propylene Carbonate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Parfum/Fragrance, Silica, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana Seed Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499).

Catrice HD Liquid Foundation: Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Talc, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polypropylene, Isododecane, Cetyl PEG / PPG-10 / 1 Dimethicone, Nylon-12, HDI / Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sodium Chloride, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Glycerin, Magnesium Sulfate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Methicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

---------------

Original review:

While I appreciate Fenty Beauty's broad option of shades to choose from, this foundation did not work for me. I am very oily, acne-prone, and have crater pores. All my conditions are managed by skincare most of the time. But a proper foundation is still key.

I found this foundation to be cakey. Even worse, it sank into every imperfection on my face. The pores around my nose became emphasized. It was disgusting and powder-y.

I will not repurchase.

on 6/6/2018 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

This is a decent foundation. Normally I have very dry skin and a matte foundation would never work for me. My skin has been improving and now leans more towards the combintion type, so i thought I would give this a shot.

Pros: excellent shade range. I chose shade 140 and it matches my skin perfectly. I find the coverage to be buildable and I am happy with it. I apply it with a round face brush and that seems to work well. It does dry quickly, but overall I find it soaks onto my skin fairly well.

Cons: can get Cakey around mouth area, requires a good skincare routine for dry skin types, is always sold out.

I really need to make sure my skin is properly hydrated before applying, and even still it can become cakey in certain spots. It does hold up well throughout the day, and even after a night out dancing it still looked decently okay. It’s definitly not the worst foundation I have used, but my shade is often sold out and I’m not really sure it’s worth all the hype. I’m not sure I’d go out of my way to get it again.

on 5/14/2018 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Not too impressed by this foundation. I was looking for a more economical choice to the normal foundation I use, and decided to try this one since it had pretty decent reviews on Sephora.

This is a pretty thick formulation. It didn't spread very well with a dry sponge, though it might work okay with a wet beauty blender. It dries pretty fast otherwise and even though I blended very thoroughly ( I thought), it was still a little streaky and not very blended into my hairline either. I also think these colors lean a little to the warm side and I'm typically neutral so that might be a no-no for very fair or cool toned girls.

Not a big fan overall. I've found drugstore foundations like Almay that are more effective.

on 5/12/2018 2:07:00 PM

It's a good foundation for oily (and/or sweaty) skin. It's not my go to since it requires quite a bit of work but if i'm going out or if it's a hot day and i have a lot to cover, i will reach for this. it's not super blendable. it's a good medium coverage that lasts nicely. i can get a pretty sweaty/wet forehead (ew i know) and this holds up super nicely.

on 5/12/2018 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

In my opinion, it's an okay foundation. It's pretty lightweight on the skin. My main issue with this lies on the fact that the product creases along my laugh lines. Also, it doesn't do a very good job with keeping the oil at bay on my forehead area. Also, the color is quite hard to predict cos it really does dry down/oxidize to a darker shade after a few hours. Will definitely not repurchase this.

one of the worst foundations I've used, it is veryyyy dry though I have a combination skin, and when you remove it u need to spend atleast 30 min to make sure its all gone! CAKEY.. maybe it would be ok for a very oil skin tone but a very small amount mixed with another foundation, I am very honest though

on 4/10/2018 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Bought this cos everyone was raving about it - so disappointed! Awful texture that gives hardly any coverage. Highlights all the hair on my face. Found it streaky and awkward to spread on skin. Confused as to why people recommended it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Got a sample from Sephora. Awful. It looked as if I had not washed my face in four days, loaded on a ton of powder foundation, and then put liquid ON TOP of the powder. I'm not joking. It's so thin, yet so cakey. It reminds me of how the wet n wild photofocus foundation looked on my skin, but worse.

This release was a joke. It had to be. It reminds me of some kind of Mary Kay cream-to-powder junk from the early 2000s. In this day and age - when BEAUTIFUL matte foundations exist - why, why, why would you make a formula like this? I really feel like they didn't put much thought into this. It doesn't have that "airbrushed" matte look. It looks like a dog took a dump on your face.

Seems like the other Fenty products are fine, but this was bad. Hopefully she comes out with more foundations.

on 3/30/2018 4:56:00 PM

Bought this because I love Rihanna and because I´m always on the lookout for the perfect foundation. I have tried this with and without the primer and neither works for me. Looks very cakey from first application, I can not get this to blend well with the Fenty sponge or any brush or other sponge applicators. I have dry-combination skin so usually foundation looks a bit dry and cakey on me at first, then after the first hour of wear my natural oils come through and makes it look more dewy and natural. With this it only gets worse throughout the day, and I can´t salvage the look with any setting spray. I also tried using as little product as possible but that made everything look uneven and gives a strange mix of textures in the face. I don´t think this is good for drier skin types. Have seen it on normal and oily skintypes with a much better result.

I wanted this to work so badly. I made sure to exfoliate beforehand and tried it with a couple different water based moisturizers and the Pro Filt’r primer. Applied it with a flat top brush, RT’s expert face brush, UD’s optics blurring brush, Tarte’s bamboo foundation brush, beauty blender, fingers.. (you get the point lol).., but I couldn’t get that flawless finish that everyone who loves this talks about :( Also, I did make sure to work section by section because this stuff sets quickly. For reference, I’m 28 and have combination skin. I don’t have much to cover up, just looking to smooth even out my skin tone. Unfortunately this foundation made me self conscious about the pores next to my nose for the first time in my life! :’( I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting older or what (SIGH), but the foundation just sat around my pores like nothing I’ve ever seen before. As far as the rest of my face goes, you could very clearly see the foundation just sitting on top of my skin. Ended up giving up and returning it after a couple weeks as it just didn’t work for me.