Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

Filtered by age: 25-29
Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear FoundationPro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation

3.2

on 10/19/2017 11:55:00 AM

Now, I was least excited about Fenty foundation, but I was so wrong about it.

I guess my concern was - would it work for dry skin? Because it is a "soft matte" foundation. Plus some people were saying in their videos onlince that it oxidizes/changes colour a bit as it sets. I highly recommend buying this foundation at the store (not online). 40 shades is an overwhelming amount.

On my dry skin it actually looks very natural and becomes more dewy as the day goes by. I find that it gives me a good medium coverage, which is buildable, but you can easily sheer it out if you mix it with a primer or anything like that. I got mine in the shade 150, which suits me perfectly (I am around NC20-25 MAC). You can see me wear it here and read more about other Fenty products here (http://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2017/09/14/Fenty-On-The-Brain). This foundation lasts all day long, doesn't get patchy, won't feel drying. I do use a really good moisturizer underneath it, so that might be the case.

I prefer a light coverage, so save it for my "more important" days when I want my skin to look flawless. You still need a concealer with it though to cover spots. Overall - it is a good one!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Bottom Line: A decent foundation but the deal breaker is that it oxidizes like crazy!

Finish - Matte, but not in a drying way. The finish is beautiful and I'm saying that as someone with major skin imperfections (blemishes/ texture from acne scarring). If you have smooth skin, I could see this foundation giving a flawless finish.

Staying Power- This foundation claims to set itself and it does.I didn't use a powder or setting spray and it lasted me a good 5 hours before I started seeing hints of oil from my t-zone. With my other foundations, I have to touch up after 3 hours. Even after a full 8 hour work day, it still looked pretty good. The best staying power out of all my foundations.

Coverage- Medium-high. This foundation is definitely buildable to high coverage and a little goes a long way.

Overall: This foundation was so promising but where it fell flat was when it oxidized on me. By the end of the day, the foundation turned so dark and orange that I looked like an Oompa Loompa! Now I could just buy one a shade or two lighter but then I'd have to deal with looking like a ghost until the oxidation kicks in. It's just not worth the hassle when there are so many other foundations to try.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have conflicting feelings about this foundation. My shade is 230 (Asian with neutral undertones). I think the finish is beautiful and while most would complain about the oxidation, I actually kind of liked that it makes me look like I have a natural bronze but not to the point where my face and neck do not match. Most other foundations look too flawless and a hair too light compared to my neck. Now I'm sure this isn't most people's cup of tea just know it does oxidize. I liked that this blended perfectly. I have normal skin (sometimes dry) but textured which is my issue when it comes to this foundation. You definitely need to prep and by prep, I don't just mean a pore filling/hydrating primer. You have to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and prime otherwise this foundation will emphasize all the nooks and crannies on your face.

The best finish I find is using a brush that you can "wipe" or blend the foundation in downward strokes similar to the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush or ELF Ultimate Blending Brush (or the brush that she sells) but make sure it's clean or you will have a streaky application. A sponge is also ideal if you wanted a lighter, more natural coverage but you will have to use a few more pumps with this method. I definitely do not recommend a flat top kabuki brush (which is usually my favorite method of applying any foundation) because this will emphasize the texture and sort of sit on top of it when you press it into the skin. I wore this to a concert but stupidly mixed it with other foundations which I HIGHLY suggest you avoid because it separated like CRAZYYYY. Overall it's a good everyday foundation. It will last you an 8 hour work day but not into the night. I probably won't return it but I wouldn't repurchase it either.

on 10/7/2017 4:18:00 PM

I used this twice with a Sephora sample, I used 250 - Asian, medium shade with olive/yellow tone and it is a good shade match. Upon applying, the foundation is liquidy, and seems to cover very well with very little product. It looks pretty good upon application, but looks kind of cakey when I look really closely and it emphasizes dry areas. It didn't oxidize heavily on me. After 3 hours, I see the foundation separating at my whole nose area, this happened both times and it's very unfortunate since I really liked the shade match! After a few hours, my face looks blotchy. Sadly I won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this foundation a few days after it came out, because I was quite curious whether it would live up to all the hype. There were so many people raving about it and I just wanted to find out for myself if this foundation was that good. Also, Fenty Beauty is cruelty-free and this foundation is vegan-friendly.

My shade is 140, which is slightly too light, but it oxidises and after contouring my face and using bronzer, it looks extremely natural on my face. I use a synthetic flat-top brush and use stippling motions to apply the foundation. This foundation dries very quickly and can look streaky, if not applied properly. I have dry skin and this foundation can make my face look extra dry, so I moisturise my skin quite heavily before I apply this product. At the beginning this foundation can look a little patchy, but for me it blends beautifully into the skin once my skin starts to get a little oily. It has medium coverage, which is apparently buildable, but I haven't tried layering it.

The foundation lasts pretty much the whole day and I don't have to touch it up at all during the day. It is available in 40 shades, so there is definitely something for everyone, which is amazing.
Overall, it is a great foundation and it matches my skin tone almost perfectly. The downside is that it is drying and can be difficult to blend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

If you do not have oily - extremely oily problem-free skin, you're out of luck. This foundation made my acne-prone skin look horrible! It accentuated my dry patches (some of which I didn't even know I had), my acne scars looked 10x worse, and looked so cakey and heavy on my skin. It did not look natural on me even though I have used matte foundations in the past without a problem (I usually prefer a satin finish). I didn't try it long enough to determine if it causes breakouts or not, I just couldn't stand having it on my skin. This is really disappointing, as I have seen so many beauty bloggers rave about it :(

I gave it an extra lippie because of the awesome shade range and packaging.

on 9/26/2017 9:11:00 PM

I was so excited for this foundation- partly because I find it very difficult to find foundation to match my olive/tan skin tone. I have mostly neutral undertones, however my skin is leaning on the warmer side of neutral. Anywho, seeing that somebody finally decided to make foundations in various darker shades and all the rave reviews, I thought for sure I'd find a holy grain foundation.

I'll start by saying this foundation is annoying because of how quickly it dries, and you feel like you have to rush to put it on. Its also not the easiest to blend. The other thing, is that there is not enough neutral undertones in this range. I was matched with 290 (Medium Neutral Olive) but as soon as I looked in the mirror, it was evident it was too light. I waited a while, knowing it would oxidise. It was still too light and made me look ghosty. The only next shade the girl at Sephora said was an option was 360 (Tan Neutral Olive)- it was certainly warmer on my skin, and didn't look too dark at the time. But knowing it would oxidise, I knew within an hour it would be too dark. I left it on for six hours and the amount the foundation oxidized was ridiculous. It easily became almost 2 shades darker, and made me look very orange. I also found the formula made my skin feel a little dry. (I have normal/sensitive skin)
The coverage is also not as good as what I was expecting. It is really a Medium coverage foundation, whilst it is buildable to full coverage, it starts to look cakey and feel heavy. And again, I found the more you put on, the worse it oxidizes. For $50 a bottle, I just don't feel its worth it.
In future if Fenty adds more shades and improves the formula, I would be more than willing to give it another go. But for now, its a pass for me.

on 9/20/2017 6:49:00 PM

This foundation oxidises terribly - I feel like everyone is so on the "hype" train that they've given a free pass to Fenty on this massive flaw. If this happened with a KKW beauty foundation, it would be ripped to shreds and so we shouldn't let personal bias cloud our judgement on what makes a good foundation.

I wanted this to be good but colour matching doesn't work - since you get colour matched to the initial colour and not the "dry down" which is usually much deeper and more orange (classic oxidisation) will not actually match your skin tone. Watch Desi Perkin's video on the range to see this in action - it changes from a gorgeous yellow-toned shade to dark orange spray tan gone wrong, before your eyes.

If the brand had meant for this to be intentional they would have guidance on how to colour match to the dry down and the swatches online would be of the dry down shade (they're not) - so, unfortunately, I have to put this down to a huge oversight on Fenty's part. It's a shame that in two years of development this wasn't addressed & owned, or rectified.

Other than this it is just a standard demi-matte finish foundation, an okay finish and medium coverage. I would save your money and go for a drugstore equivalent like L'Oreal True Match or Maybelline Matte & Poreless. If you feel like splurging & want a matte liquid I recommend Naked Skin by UD or Diorskin Forever.

on 9/20/2017 1:53:00 AM

This line doesn't have enough true neutral shades. I'm a light tan, peachy neutral skintone (my best matches are giorgio armani LSF #8 and l'oreal true match N6) and I found that 270 was too pale/yellow, 280 was the closest match, but still a tinge too yellow, 290 was too gray/green and 300 was way too orange. I didn't even bother trying 310 (which would be too dark) or 260 (which would be too light). I did find that the foundation needed a few minutes to "set", in which you then saw the true, final color. Other than that, I felt the foundation needed some prep for my combination skin. If I moisturized and then applied, I had a nice outcome. If I merely applied primer and then this foundation, I would appear a littttle too dry. Overall though, I think it's a nice shade for both winter (over a heavy cream moisturizer) and summer (over a light SPF). If Fenty Beauty expanded the shade range for the medium-tan and/or neutral gals, I'd be interested. It almost seems like my best match would be 285... which of course doesn't exist (yet).