Coty Wild Musk

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This has been my go to fragrance for over 30 years. There is just something about it and I always get compliments on it. It is subtle and sexy but not overbearing. Funny thing is that on my dresser I have expensive perfumes, Dolce, Coco, etc. - I hardly reach for them ever. Even when I wear the expensive ones, I never get the compliments or "What is that you are wearing?" I only get comments, compliments and the occasional deep sniff when hugging someone hello.

Strange thing is that when people ask me what I am wearing, I tell them "Oh it is a musk perfume." I am selfish and do not want to share my signature scent. LOL

This humble gem in its fugly basic packaging is the textbook example of how fantastic "drugstore perfumes" used to be. It's still around, albeit in a sadly diluted form. The current version in the bumpy brown 1.5 ounce bottle will give you a threadbare idea of the scent. Vintage cologne and perfume sprays are readily and cheaply available on eBay and they deliver a much richer, rounder, more complex experience. [Sadly, the oil version of this fragrance went out of production years ago and is selling for over $200 a bottle now, which is obscene.] Look for the "Coty" name in cursive rather than block letters-- you know you're getting vintage that way and it's soooo much better, trust me.

Wild Musk is so yummy! It's got a definite '70s vibe with its almost barber-shoppy top notes of citrus and lavender, yielding to a rich, oily, vanillic-sandalwood musk. Total "clean hippie" heaven. It really does feel like an extension of the natural scent of clean skin. You may not smell smell it on yourself all day, but when you move around, you'll be pleasantly greeted by a reminder that yep, it's still there just like the industrial musks of the '70s and '80s promised. Very sexy and inviting. Perfect signature scent for the casual, down-to-earth woman.

on 11/2/2015 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Love! I'm wearing it now. I still have half of my EDT & perfume oil from many years ago. They still smell great, and I've probably had them each at least a dozen years.

I've been a musk lover since the 70's, I've worn them all, and this one is very nice, esp in our current weather. It's wonderful on this chilly, rainy, gloomy November day. Chilly Fall/Winter weather is when this fits the bill most perfectly, in my humble opinion.

Coty Wild Musk wears very low, soft, and under-the-radar. Comforting as a warm blanket, and it has a cloaking quality -- makes me feel protected and hidden -- it's a close-to-the-body, personal scent. It communicates more with the wearer herself than with the outside world. It has a very calming quality -- calming, quieting, centering, comforting, and reassuring. Mmmm!

A low-key, warm musk which mostly just smells like a straight-up Sandalwood, to my nose. I know Coty Wild Musk is complex and actually contains some floral notes & possibly vanilla, but I'm mostly just smelling a soft skin-scenty sandalwood.

It does NOT smell animalic at all (like Kiehl's Original does, although I enjoy that one too). Wild Musk is not the least bit offensive -- not at all.

I've never tried any of the latest "reformulations" that other reviewers speak of, but I often find that reformulations (to me, anyway) aren't as different or bad as reviewers claim. I'm sure I'll be buying whatever Coty Wild Musk is being sold in stores when I run out of my own EDT and perfume oil bottles -- and even if it's a little different, I hope I'll still like it.

on 1/14/2015 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

This was a secret santa gift and this is a sad shadow of its former self. A very watered down scent. I am halfway thru the bottle already. I remember wearing this long ago in my last year of high school (dating myself here, lol) in the oil form. Sigh. The cologne is more of a body spray on me, and it does not last. I catch a whiff sometimes on my shirt sleeves, seems to last longer on clothes than on my skin. Since this is a gift, I couldn't return it so I will finish the bottle and remember how lovely it was back then.

on 1/2/2015 3:15:00 PM

You simply cannot beat the mix of flowers, vanilla and musk. This has been a signature fragrance for years. Not overwhelming, but the compliments keep on coming. It is proof positive that a great scent does not necessarily have to cost a fortune. I will continue to purchase as long as it is available.

on 12/29/2015 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i got this for nine bucks at target and boy, is it the best. I have a lot of perfume and wear Cartier, Angel, Replica and Nirvana Black almost daily so I do like more expensive perfumes, but this is amazing and I wear it all the time...it's more of a body spray because it doesn't last super well but it plays well with other scents-I layer it with Marc Jacobs Decadence and it smells amazing. I also use my Keihls musk oil on top of this and that helps it to last. I love how seventies it smells and how subtle it is. It also smells really good with Charlie, if you want the full drugstore experience! For ten dollars, you can't pass it up. Very versatile!

on 4/15/2014 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I loved this scent back in high school... and I still do! It's the perfect combo of sexy and sweet to me. Not at all dirty smelling and not to cloying or sticky sweet. Nice staying power on my skin too! Now I have to find me some Love's Baby Soft!! :)

Picked this up at target for $10.97. I had read a lot of positive reviews about this fragrance but was still skeptical since it is an inexpensive drug store perfume from the 70's. I general have an idea that those types of perfumes are very heavy and smell like alcohol. I was really pleasantly surprised with this one. It smells very good. It's on the lighter side and there isn't a lot of alcohol smell when you spray it. On me it smells like musk and baby powder, kind of sweet smelling. I really like it, I think it is a good every day fragrance for a sweet price!

on 10/24/2014 9:21:00 AM

This is a warm, sweet scent. I like it a lot. I wore this when I was in high school then went on to other perfumes. All of these years, I forgot about it. I was at Walmart and saw it sitting on the bottom shelf and I grabbed a bottle of the spray cologne. I am so glad I bought this, smells amazing. It has changed somewhat since the 70's, it was better back then but it is still pretty good now. Last night when I bought this, I had also sprayed some Chanel Allure on. To my surprise, the Wild Musk is a much better fragrance and much cheaper. Yes, I will repurchase and always have this in my perfume collection.

This is too musky, almost a straight musk to me - a bit overpowering. It actually smells kind of dirty on my skin. On some people this simple, affordable fragrance smells amazing, but not on me. I'll stick with my Jovan musk.

Popular Fragrances