Too Faced I Want Kandee: Candy Eyes

Too Faced I Want Kandee: Candy Eyes

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

The I Want Kandee palette contains the following powder eyeshadow shades in a mix of matte, satin and shimmer finishes; Sparkling Cider (champagne nude), Pastry (matte cappuccino), Sugared Strawberry (shimmering coral pink), Cream Puff (matte sand), Sugar Plum (silvered lavender), Raspberry Cocoa (matte berry brown), Butterscotched (matte apricot), Sweet Toffee (gilded copper), Frosted Pink (gilded soft pink), Hot Chocolate (matte rich brown), Taupe Berry (matte smokey taupe), Licorice Rope (matte pitch black), Banana Cream Pie (matte cream), Ice Cream (matte pinky cream) and Whipped Cream (pearly white).

This is tricky to review as it's not bad, just something I think is unnecessary. On one hand the shadow quality is excellent on all but one of the shades (Liquorice Rope needs building up), the shades are very wearable and the packaging is awesome. But on the other hand, there isn't anything here that hasn't been done before, so if you have a few palettes already then you already have very similar shades. If you are new to eyeshadow so want a helping hand with selecting shades that work really well together, or are looking for a attractive gift, then I Want Kandee is worth the splurge, but I don't think this is a must-own palette.

All in all this palette is ho-hum for me as the shades look different in real life compared to how they appeared on screen, so it turns out that I can dupe everything. I regret falling for the hype and ordering it. Like I said above the shades are pretty and the formula quality is great, so I've gone to four lippies as I'll continue to use the palette, as it's easy to apply the shadows and they wear well. But, in my opinion, the colour picks are pretty "blah" as they're all overdone.

The I Want Kandee Candy Eyes Eyeshadow Palette is a well thought out palette that contains matte, shimmer, and sparkling eye shadow colors. The nice thing is that this contains some great light colors that you can use for blending and the browbone area, dark colors that you can use for the lash line, and then many colors in-between for your eye lid. The faint scent of candy is included but not overwhelming, thankfully!

on 9/9/2017 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The packaging is clever. The tin reminds me of a Whitman’s Sampler and the fifteen shadows are grouped logically in clusters followed by the obligatory row of base shades. There’s a little sticker on the lid when you first open it. There is a protective insert over the shadows which resembles a sheet of wax paper, something you might see wrapped around donuts at a bakery. A lot of thought went into the details and it does look exactly like a candy box.

The scent is faint. It smells like vanilla and cocoa. It doesn’t smack you in the face with fragrance like some of the other food-themed Too Faced palettes.

I love the mix of warm and cool tones in Candy Eyes. There are some nice neutrals in here: two matte beiges, Pastry and Cream Puff, a rosy stone called Taupe Berry, and a matte rich brown, Hot Chocolate. Raspberry Cocoa blends effortlessly and it's a beautiful rosy mocha shade. If you want a bit of orange, there’s Butterscotched, and you have Licorice Rope, a matte black. Base shades include Banana Cream (yellowish), Ice Cream (a pinker cream) and pearlescent Whipped Cream. For shimmer you have metallic lilac Sugar Plum, coppery Sweet Toffee, coral Sugared Strawberry, a lighter Frosted Pink, and the champagne Sparkling Cider. There’s quite a bit of variety in this palette and I didn’t feel like I was buying dupes of things I already own.

The colors are well-organized. Too Faced always includes a Glamour Guide, a pamphlet with diagrams to get you started with the palette. In this one Kandee Johnson models the looks and provides the instructions.

Licorice Rope makes a great liner but it requires more patience to blend than the lighter shades. A transition color such as Raspberry Cocoa or Cream Puff can make blending easier. These shadows layer well without muddiness.

I get more intensity and better wear when I prep the lids with Shadow Insurance or another similar primer (Wet ‘n Wild Photo Focus Eye Shadow Primer is a more affordable substitute). Without primer I found that a few of the shades go on with a whisper instead of a roar, but you can build them up with a short paddle brush. I use MAC 239. My favorite crease brush is MAC 221, but Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush is softer and works great, too. I like to use Charlotte Tilbury’s Eye Blender for softening edges. There is a little bit of fallout with these but not nearly as much fallout as I encounter with Too Faced Chocolate Bar. Some shades pack more of a punch than others. For example, Sweet Toffee goes on intensely and lasts well but Sugared Strawberry and Sugar Plum require more effort to build up when using MAC brushes. I bought Kat Von D's $24 Glimmer Effect Eye Brush specifically to use with Sugared Strawberry and Sugar Plum. Now I get more intensity from those shades with less fallout.

I understand that a candy box would not have a mirror in the lid, but I miss the mirror. The lack of mirror and bulkiness of the tin make this less travel-friendly than the compact Too Faced created for Just Peachy Mattes. Overall that one seems more efficient to me. However, this pink candy box certainly fits the “I Want Kandee” theme and it’s adorable.

Sometimes Too Faced is criticized for their cuteness but this box is fun. I’ve been wearing makeup for so long that doing my eye shadow in the morning can seem like a chore. I enjoy picking up these shadows and playing with them. Kandee Johnson did a nice job with this collection. The items are limited edition. The palette costs $45.

Video Reviews & Tutorials