CHANEL Gabrielle

CHANEL Gabrielle
Gabrielle

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I seem to be in the minority here in that I really enjoy this scent. It is a light scent for summer, appropriate for the office if yours allows fragrance.

On me it opens with a lovely mixed floral, with a tropical twist from the combo of white florals and ylang - rounded and rich but not overwhelming, and the florals quickly fold into the overall composition. There is a backbone of citrus - grapefruit and mandarin. These are on the sweet side, not strong and bitter, but sunny and bright. I get an undercurrent of pink pepper which is a favorite note for me. The black currant and pear notes are in there but they are subtle. The overall vibe is mostly floral with a hint of fruit, not the strong sweet fruit smell that is so popular lately. It dries down to a nice floral veil over a clean musky sandalwood. The entire composition is expertly blended and feels sophisticated and smooth. It lasts all day on me but wears close as I prefer.

The packaging is quite nice in my opinion. The juice is a nice peachy amber color. The glass bottle has an interesting shape that slants inwards towards the center. I like the delicate feel of it in my hand. The cap closes with a snap that would have been nicer with a magnet soft close but at least it feels secure. The box includes a shaped insert to stabilize the bottle inside. I keep my fragrances in the box when possible, to protect them from light, so this little detail is appreciated. The 50ML size is $105 which seems relatively inexpensive for a Chanel. There are also smaller and larger sizes available.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to love this. The fragrance description sounded so lovely. But its so light that I hardly smell anything at all. If you are someone who likes lighter scent you might love this one but I was a little disappointed. I would love this if it was a bit stronger and stayed on the skin a little longer.

on 5/3/2018 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I think this fragrance is lovely (light floral to my nose) but way too fleeting. I would not be be happy about purchasing a fragrance at Chanel's prices and then having it not last. I sprayed it on my skin and also on a card and both had very poor staying power. Very disappointing.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

It smells like its been left in a drawer too long and has "gone off"... Very disappointing and bland.
I had a sample bottle and wouldn't buy the full bottle.

To be honest all I have to say about this is that the grand Mademoiselle herself, Gabrielle Coco Chanel, would NOT approve of this shrinking violet of a perfume. It's totally unworthy of having the Chanel logo on it as far as I'm concerned...

Bland, boring, generic, vapid, girly etc all the things that Chanel utterly detested and never stood for. This is maybe alright for a 17 year old girl who isn't ready for a real Chanel fragrance yet but quite frankly she probably doesn't have the $130 to spend on a fragrance anyways. And don't get me started on the cringeable promo ads with Kristen Stewart.

SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT.

on 11/7/2017 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My first and all time favorite from Chanel has always been Coco. Yes I have #5 too but it has always taken a back burner to Coco. Now enters Gabrielle. I just had to have the large bottle! I got a generous sample and used it sparingly until I could buy a bottle. Chanel did put the price up there for this perfume but it is so worth it for me. I do not understand all the negative reviews here on MUA but to each their own. I find this fragrance last a very long time on myself and when I told the sales Rep. about the reviews here and how so many say they cannot smell it after a couple of hours, she said that it last a really long time on herself too. I used the last of my sample last evening a few hours before bed and the beautiful scent is still lingering on my skin and clothes at 10:00 A.M. this morning. The notes are listed as exotic jasmine with the fruity green notes of ylang-ylang, while fresh and sparkling orange blossom shines through, offering a glimpse of Grasse tuberose. The ad goes on to say, before creating the House of CHANEL, Coco was Gabrielle. A rebel at heart, passionate and free. So I take this to mean that the lady Coco Chanel's real name was Gabrielle? This is a feminine scent that is very rich from the first spray to the dry down. The bottle is not that impressive to my style but rather pretty much like the other Chanel bottles like Coco and #5. The scent is what I just had to have in my collection, just so beautiful.

on 9/9/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For me one of the best Chanel fragrances. I remember my mom wearing No. 5 when I was a kid. I always wanted to be able to enjoy a Chanel fragrance but, none ever did anything for me. This one is really great. Pricey but, worth it.

on 9/7/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

My husband, who complains incessantly about perfume, COMPLIMENTS Gabrielle. He loves this one! After trying this on skin from a tester, then carrying around for a day a paper strip generously soaked with Gabrielle, I didn't buy it. I thought I couldn't smell it. I thought it seemed slightly weak and slightly generic. I woke up this morning and noticed the most beautiful scent in the air. I followed my nose straight to the test strip that was still in my bag. Then when I was dressing, that glorious aroma wafted from my hamper...yesterday's clothing had absorbed the fragrance when I'd sprayed it on my arms. I don't know what happened, but overnight this magically transformed into what I'd hoped it would be. Give this one some time! And don't try to find the fragrance....let it come to you. I swear this is engineered in some special way that when you "try" to smell it, it is vague, but then when you're not thinking about it, you "sense" it... like another part of the brain is tapping into the nasal passages. Two other fragrances that have this ultra-light, sheer, haunting quality are No. 5 L'eau and Florabotanica. After one test I'm thinking the new Gucci Bloom has this quality as well, and it fascinates me. So an hour ago I bought a bottle of Gabrielle and happily doused myself with it, in my car. You know how spraying fragrance in your car, with windows closed, is generally a bad idea? (I think I have brain stem burns from my sister and Angel). Gabrielle is like a soft, warm wind. There's no sharpness, and no overwhelming assault of fragrance chemicals and alcohol. I am in Phoenix, and it is 103 degrees as I sit here writing this. Gabrielle smells magical in a hot car, and ethereal as the air conditioning kicks in. I feel like scent is glowing from me, but if I sniff my arms, I don't detect any concentration of notes. In fact, Gabrielle smells much more nuanced and interesting when my nose is far from my arms. The fragrance softly floats in the air and its personality is revealed in layers. There is definitely a memory of Coco Mlle here, and a tiny hint here and there of No. 5 l'eau, but overall Gabrielle does come across as an imaginary flower. I am so used to aldehydes and patchouli in Chanels that I'm tempted to think this doesn't seem like a Chanel...and then it suddenly calls to mind other Chanels. It's incredible! Don't abandon Gabrielle too quickly. Give her some time to become the modern, interesting and lovely fragrance that she can be.

Popular Fragrances