CHANEL Gabrielle

CHANEL Gabrielle
Gabrielle

3.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I seem to be in the minority here in that I really enjoy this scent. It is a light scent for summer, appropriate for the office if yours allows fragrance.

On me it opens with a lovely mixed floral, with a tropical twist from the combo of white florals and ylang - rounded and rich but not overwhelming, and the florals quickly fold into the overall composition. There is a backbone of citrus - grapefruit and mandarin. These are on the sweet side, not strong and bitter, but sunny and bright. I get an undercurrent of pink pepper which is a favorite note for me. The black currant and pear notes are in there but they are subtle. The overall vibe is mostly floral with a hint of fruit, not the strong sweet fruit smell that is so popular lately. It dries down to a nice floral veil over a clean musky sandalwood. The entire composition is expertly blended and feels sophisticated and smooth. It lasts all day on me but wears close as I prefer.

The packaging is quite nice in my opinion. The juice is a nice peachy amber color. The glass bottle has an interesting shape that slants inwards towards the center. I like the delicate feel of it in my hand. The cap closes with a snap that would have been nicer with a magnet soft close but at least it feels secure. The box includes a shaped insert to stabilize the bottle inside. I keep my fragrances in the box when possible, to protect them from light, so this little detail is appreciated. The 50ML size is $105 which seems relatively inexpensive for a Chanel. There are also smaller and larger sizes available.

on 3/25/2018 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Chanel has created a lot of cult perfumes, now, not everybody likes vintage, Gabrielle is dedicated to Coco Chanel when she was still a girl, so it is more luminous, more simplistic but beautiful..i feel it is misunderstood really..it is a soapy bright floral, so if you don't like florals, you might not like it...and I know how delightful french perfumes are, never too much, not trying to make an unpleasant statement...Gabrielle is simply pretty...reminds me of how french women smell last time I was in Paris...it is indeed a new direction with Olivier Polge...is he as talented as his dad !? Time will do its thing, so far, he has done good ..Gabrielle is nicely done, classy with a modern twist,.there is beauty in simplicity...the vintage scents had their shining time, now women want fresher easier to wear perfumes.

on 1/30/2018 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

As a fan of the classic Chanel scents as well as the Les Exclusives, I just can say "Gabrielle" is embarrassing to the legacy of Coco Chanel. This scent is ordinary, nothing special of Chanel about it. It smells like a mixture of several ordinary drugstore scents, a bit of everything, a little flower mix in the beginning and then an almost annoying cheap fruity note.
Total disappointment and not understandable for me as there were really beautiful new creations like No.5 Eau Premiere for example. But "Gabrielle" is just a cheap cash machine not worthy to wear the Chanel tag.

on 12/18/2017 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Thirty years ago, as a teenager who wanted to be sophisticated and chic, I wore Chanel No. 5 because what could be more chic than Chanel? Next I wore Chanel’s Coco. I loved, loved, loved that perfume. It was probably a bit “mature” for me at the time, but it was the start of my love for Oriental fragrances. I was also fascinated by the story of an ambitious orphan, Gabrielle Chanel, rising from humble beginnings to being THE arbiter of style.

To say that I was intrigued by a new Chanel fragrance, the first in 15 years, to be named Gabrielle would be an understatement. I saw several magazine articles describing this new perfume and thought that I might be wearing Chanel again. After all these years, I still want to smell sophisticated and chic. I read that this fragrance was “quiet” and it was based on four white flowers: jasmine, ylang-ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. I enjoy all of those flowers in perfumes. I liked the golden glow of the print ad. It sounded like Gabrielle would make a great everyday fragrance; that it would be pretty, but allow the wearer to be the one to shine.

I went to the perfume counter at a high end department store and their display of Chanel bottles was gorgeous. I picked up the bottle of Gabrielle and admired the elegant simplicity of the glass. The magic unfortunately ended there for me. I find Gabrielle to be long lasting on my dry skin. But the fragrance never became the luminous perfume I hoped it would be. I had imagined Gabrielle might be a really pretty perfume like Jour d’Hermes, which is also based on white flowers. There is the essence of something lovely at its heart, but for me it never took flight. For the first time, a Chanel fragrance ended up smelling like acrid hairspray on me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I love Chanel fragrances and I'm surprised by the other reviews. That said, everyone seems to like Chance and Coco Mdme and I find THOSE to be boring and uninspired. Coco is my forever scent ... second would be Coromandel and down the line with Allure, No. 5, No. 22, Boy, and Cristalle. Anyhow, I love Gabrielle. I've had it since release so waited this long to review. This does last on my skin, unlike many fragrances. As I tend towards orientals, this is my favorite all-out feminine scent. The bottle is gorgeous (though I don't buy based on packaging!). Somehow I feel this one came out the gate with people not wanting to like it.... if you like Chanel fragrances, give this a try... get a sample... I still have the tester card from pre-launch in my purse and it still smells divine. It's still too early to say but I actually think this one will land as my #2 fave Chanel fragrance just after Coco. It's that good.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm soo surprised at these reviews. Yes, its not the longest lasting fragrance but it smells soo good. Not very sweet but a sparkling floral. The bottle is gorgeous, just wish the 1.7oz looked more substantial in size. It looks like a deluxe mini, so jump for the 3.4oz if its a gift.

on 9/26/2017 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Fragrance only lasted a about 2 hours but did like the scent.
This would be a nice spring/summer scent.

Popular Fragrances