Chanel Gabrielle

Chanel Gabrielle

2.9

on 3/5/2018 1:14:00 PM

I had to review just to bump up the terrible lippie score.

I love this perfume. This is my new go to, "safe" but makes a statement every day, every occasion fragrance. It replaces what blooming bouquet was in my collection-- but I'm bored w blooming bouquet at the moment.

Gabrielle opens up with fresh, realistic orange blossom. It's one of my favorite openings like my long time favorite pure poison. It quickly turns to sparkling, but subdued aldehydes and powder. But this is a tamed down version from Chanel 5 or any of the flankers. It's more of a fresh, makeup-ey powder

Then it morphs into a clean, almost dryer sheet white floral-- mostly jasmine, some tuberose, orange blossom. And the powder and aldehydes stick around, giving this a vintage vibe. But this is done very well-- and in a really safe, "pedestrian" way.

It's like what dita von Teese would wear if she had to work an office job for a week. At least that's what it makes me think of.

I am SO happy I picked this up. I personally LOVE the direction Oliver polge is taking chanel. I love his creations and I hope he keeps cranking them out bc he has a great nose.

on 2/1/2018 12:08:00 PM

Smelled this at the perfume counter at Macy's and thought it smelled great. Its a more flowery scent which is a reflection of the new trend towards this sort of scent. I keep going back and dousing myself with this stuff and am happy to see Chanel has come out with a smaller bottle for $76.00, which I fully intend to buy. This is pretty scent which is easy to wear.

on 1/30/2018 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this! I received from my hubs for Christmas! He usually never buys a perfume without me hinting....but I have several other Chanel's, so I think he felt comfortable. Initially I thought...hmmmm, probably wouldn't have asked for this. But, it's really pretty! Reminds me of walking into a beautiful department store! Neiman Marcus or Nordstroms...that smell over in the beauty department...it's this!! Now, the dry down isn't a huge surprise.... basically smells the same. The strength is decent...not the strongest...but certainly not the weakest. My scarf still smells GREAT from a week ago. It's definitely different than others I've had or have...which is fun!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I would and will buy this again. I love it! It’s close to coco mad so if you liked Coco mad you may like this. It’s distinctive in its chanel way, a clean white floral not heavy on aldehyde or soapiness of No 5 but I just say it’s pretty. Probably not appreciated by the young crowd like coco mad is. I think it’s an interesting frag def worth keeping in my collex. The bottle is simple & elegant, spartan. Kind of like this frag.

on 12/25/2017 11:48:00 PM

I love the scent, and longevity is not a problem for me. It is radiant and lovely on my skin.

Now, it took me a few tries to get it. Was not love at first sniff. I was disappointed the first time, definitely had Expectations and first try barely registered as "eh" ... so I get why others aren't feeling the love.

It wasn't until a month or so later that I walked through a Nordstrom and someone had recently sprayed Gabrielle that the love hit me.

Gabrielle would work with shorts and tank top just as well as a dress and heels. I wear it to bed, it's just so pretty. I bet it's gorgeous in the summertime.

I don't buy the "rebel" promo material, so I ignore it. The tv and print advertisement does not match my experience of wearing the scent. I mean, it's white flowers. Nobody's rebelling here.
A commercial more in line with Charlize Theron and J'Adore, or Natalie Portman in Miss Dior would match better.

The bottle is cool looking in ads, but not as impressive in person.

on 11/7/2017 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My first and all time favorite from Chanel has always been Coco. Yes I have #5 too but it has always taken a back burner to Coco. Now enters Gabrielle. I just had to have the large bottle! I got a generous sample and used it sparingly until I could buy a bottle. Chanel did put the price up there for this perfume but it is so worth it for me. I do not understand all the negative reviews here on MUA but to each their own. I find this fragrance last a very long time on myself and when I told the sales Rep. about the reviews here and how so many say they cannot smell it after a couple of hours, she said that it last a really long time on herself too. I used the last of my sample last evening a few hours before bed and the beautiful scent is still lingering on my skin and clothes at 10:00 A.M. this morning. The notes are listed as exotic jasmine with the fruity green notes of ylang-ylang, while fresh and sparkling orange blossom shines through, offering a glimpse of Grasse tuberose. The ad goes on to say, before creating the House of CHANEL, Coco was Gabrielle. A rebel at heart, passionate and free. So I take this to mean that the lady Coco Chanel's real name was Gabrielle? This is a feminine scent that is very rich from the first spray to the dry down. The bottle is not that impressive to my style but rather pretty much like the other Chanel bottles like Coco and #5. The scent is what I just had to have in my collection, just so beautiful.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I love Chanel fragrances and I'm surprised by the other reviews. That said, everyone seems to like Chance and Coco Mdme and I find THOSE to be boring and uninspired. Coco is my forever scent ... second would be Coromandel and down the line with Allure, No. 5, No. 22, Boy, and Cristalle. Anyhow, I love Gabrielle. I've had it since release so waited this long to review. This does last on my skin, unlike many fragrances. As I tend towards orientals, this is my favorite all-out feminine scent. The bottle is gorgeous (though I don't buy based on packaging!). Somehow I feel this one came out the gate with people not wanting to like it.... if you like Chanel fragrances, give this a try... get a sample... I still have the tester card from pre-launch in my purse and it still smells divine. It's still too early to say but I actually think this one will land as my #2 fave Chanel fragrance just after Coco. It's that good.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Amazing, beautiful fragrance that lasts a long time wearing.

HOWEVER, I do think this scent, although wonderful, is for a more mature woman - it's not a girly scent

on 9/9/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For me one of the best Chanel fragrances. I remember my mom wearing No. 5 when I was a kid. I always wanted to be able to enjoy a Chanel fragrance but, none ever did anything for me. This one is really great. Pricey but, worth it.

on 9/7/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

My husband, who complains incessantly about perfume, COMPLIMENTS Gabrielle. He loves this one! After trying this on skin from a tester, then carrying around for a day a paper strip generously soaked with Gabrielle, I didn't buy it. I thought I couldn't smell it. I thought it seemed slightly weak and slightly generic. I woke up this morning and noticed the most beautiful scent in the air. I followed my nose straight to the test strip that was still in my bag. Then when I was dressing, that glorious aroma wafted from my hamper...yesterday's clothing had absorbed the fragrance when I'd sprayed it on my arms. I don't know what happened, but overnight this magically transformed into what I'd hoped it would be. Give this one some time! And don't try to find the fragrance....let it come to you. I swear this is engineered in some special way that when you "try" to smell it, it is vague, but then when you're not thinking about it, you "sense" it... like another part of the brain is tapping into the nasal passages. Two other fragrances that have this ultra-light, sheer, haunting quality are No. 5 L'eau and Florabotanica. After one test I'm thinking the new Gucci Bloom has this quality as well, and it fascinates me. So an hour ago I bought a bottle of Gabrielle and happily doused myself with it, in my car. You know how spraying fragrance in your car, with windows closed, is generally a bad idea? (I think I have brain stem burns from my sister and Angel). Gabrielle is like a soft, warm wind. There's no sharpness, and no overwhelming assault of fragrance chemicals and alcohol. I am in Phoenix, and it is 103 degrees as I sit here writing this. Gabrielle smells magical in a hot car, and ethereal as the air conditioning kicks in. I feel like scent is glowing from me, but if I sniff my arms, I don't detect any concentration of notes. In fact, Gabrielle smells much more nuanced and interesting when my nose is far from my arms. The fragrance softly floats in the air and its personality is revealed in layers. There is definitely a memory of Coco Mlle here, and a tiny hint here and there of No. 5 l'eau, but overall Gabrielle does come across as an imaginary flower. I am so used to aldehydes and patchouli in Chanels that I'm tempted to think this doesn't seem like a Chanel...and then it suddenly calls to mind other Chanels. It's incredible! Don't abandon Gabrielle too quickly. Give her some time to become the modern, interesting and lovely fragrance that she can be.

Popular Fragrances