Chanel Gabrielle

2.9

on 9/7/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

My husband, who complains incessantly about perfume, COMPLIMENTS Gabrielle. He loves this one! After trying this on skin from a tester, then carrying around for a day a paper strip generously soaked with Gabrielle, I didn't buy it. I thought I couldn't smell it. I thought it seemed slightly weak and slightly generic. I woke up this morning and noticed the most beautiful scent in the air. I followed my nose straight to the test strip that was still in my bag. Then when I was dressing, that glorious aroma wafted from my hamper...yesterday's clothing had absorbed the fragrance when I'd sprayed it on my arms. I don't know what happened, but overnight this magically transformed into what I'd hoped it would be. Give this one some time! And don't try to find the fragrance....let it come to you. I swear this is engineered in some special way that when you "try" to smell it, it is vague, but then when you're not thinking about it, you "sense" it... like another part of the brain is tapping into the nasal passages. Two other fragrances that have this ultra-light, sheer, haunting quality are No. 5 L'eau and Florabotanica. After one test I'm thinking the new Gucci Bloom has this quality as well, and it fascinates me. So an hour ago I bought a bottle of Gabrielle and happily doused myself with it, in my car. You know how spraying fragrance in your car, with windows closed, is generally a bad idea? (I think I have brain stem burns from my sister and Angel). Gabrielle is like a soft, warm wind. There's no sharpness, and no overwhelming assault of fragrance chemicals and alcohol. I am in Phoenix, and it is 103 degrees as I sit here writing this. Gabrielle smells magical in a hot car, and ethereal as the air conditioning kicks in. I feel like scent is glowing from me, but if I sniff my arms, I don't detect any concentration of notes. In fact, Gabrielle smells much more nuanced and interesting when my nose is far from my arms. The fragrance softly floats in the air and its personality is revealed in layers. There is definitely a memory of Coco Mlle here, and a tiny hint here and there of No. 5 l'eau, but overall Gabrielle does come across as an imaginary flower. I am so used to aldehydes and patchouli in Chanels that I'm tempted to think this doesn't seem like a Chanel...and then it suddenly calls to mind other Chanels. It's incredible! Don't abandon Gabrielle too quickly. Give her some time to become the modern, interesting and lovely fragrance that she can be.

To be honest all I have to say about this is that the grand Mademoiselle herself, Gabrielle Coco Chanel, would NOT approve of this shrinking violet of a perfume. It's totally unworthy of having the Chanel logo on it as far as I'm concerned...

Bland, boring, generic, vapid, girly etc all the things that Chanel utterly detested and never stood for. This is maybe alright for a 17 year old girl who isn't ready for a real Chanel fragrance yet but quite frankly she probably doesn't have the $130 to spend on a fragrance anyways. And don't get me started on the cringeable promo ads with Kristen Stewart.

SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT.

on 9/16/2017 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Beautiful packaging -- the bottle is gorgeous -- but the perfume is a real disappointment, especially at the $105 price tag. Has barely any sillage. It was gone within the first thirty minutes of applying, no lasting smell, no trace at all. Gabrielle is an ideal work fragrance: it will offend no one, but also has no personality or distinctiveness.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I love Chanel fragrances and I'm surprised by the other reviews. That said, everyone seems to like Chance and Coco Mdme and I find THOSE to be boring and uninspired. Coco is my forever scent ... second would be Coromandel and down the line with Allure, No. 5, No. 22, Boy, and Cristalle. Anyhow, I love Gabrielle. I've had it since release so waited this long to review. This does last on my skin, unlike many fragrances. As I tend towards orientals, this is my favorite all-out feminine scent. The bottle is gorgeous (though I don't buy based on packaging!). Somehow I feel this one came out the gate with people not wanting to like it.... if you like Chanel fragrances, give this a try... get a sample... I still have the tester card from pre-launch in my purse and it still smells divine. It's still too early to say but I actually think this one will land as my #2 fave Chanel fragrance just after Coco. It's that good.

on 10/23/2017 12:37:00 PM

Boooooorrrring. Horrible disappointment. Chanel should be absolutely ashamed. When customers go to Chanel, we are expecting the unsurpassed quality, classy, elite, supremely blended fragrance that justifies paying the big bucks. This is NOT that... it's not... Chanel. It's a mundane, generic, fragrance lacking personality and completely devoid of any silage or longevity whatsoever.

I know that Chanel's longtime head perfumer Jacques Polque recently stepped down and Chanel hired his Son Oliver Polgue to take his place... Oliver, buddy, I get that you had big shoes to fill but c'mon... this is just not luxury brand material. In my honest to goodness assessment this isn't even Celebrity fragrance worthy because while it does smell like something Jessica Simpson might put out, it doesn't even have silage or longevity on par with her stuff! It's gone in under a hour and got that hour you'll smell like shampoo. Plain and simple.

Get it together, Chanel.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Was very disappointed. Not a classic Chanel scent. It smells like a weak flowery toilet spray. I love all chanel makeup and most of their scents. If I feel that its just not for me I would say, but really this is just wrong.

It also has absolutely 0 lasting power - 1 or 2 hours max. Coco on the other hand lasts all day and the next morning until I shower.

on 10/20/2017 2:07:00 PM

Sad to see Chanel entering the vulgarity of mass intended boredom! Just a paradoxal joke it is named Gabrielle while she was the force behind picking master pieces like Chanel 5, Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles... some will say this is "contemporary". Yet all, including those, know this is simply comercial and utterly banal. I even feel bad to post such negative review as I treasure Chanel so much as a brand!

on 10/17/2017 9:57:00 AM

What a bust! I was eagerly awaiting this thinking it's going to be great and it's anything but. It's not a nice scent in any way and it lasts only for about 1 hour making it seem like it's a cheap drugstore scent rather than a high end product. Not recommended.

on 3/5/2018 1:14:00 PM

I had to review just to bump up the terrible lippie score.

I love this perfume. This is my new go to, "safe" but makes a statement every day, every occasion fragrance. It replaces what blooming bouquet was in my collection-- but I'm bored w blooming bouquet at the moment.

Gabrielle opens up with fresh, realistic orange blossom. It's one of my favorite openings like my long time favorite pure poison. It quickly turns to sparkling, but subdued aldehydes and powder. But this is a tamed down version from Chanel 5 or any of the flankers. It's more of a fresh, makeup-ey powder

Then it morphs into a clean, almost dryer sheet white floral-- mostly jasmine, some tuberose, orange blossom. And the powder and aldehydes stick around, giving this a vintage vibe. But this is done very well-- and in a really safe, "pedestrian" way.

It's like what dita von Teese would wear if she had to work an office job for a week. At least that's what it makes me think of.

I am SO happy I picked this up. I personally LOVE the direction Oliver polge is taking chanel. I love his creations and I hope he keeps cranking them out bc he has a great nose.

on 1/30/2018 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

As a fan of the classic Chanel scents as well as the Les Exclusives, I just can say "Gabrielle" is embarrassing to the legacy of Coco Chanel. This scent is ordinary, nothing special of Chanel about it. It smells like a mixture of several ordinary drugstore scents, a bit of everything, a little flower mix in the beginning and then an almost annoying cheap fruity note.
Total disappointment and not understandable for me as there were really beautiful new creations like No.5 Eau Premiere for example. But "Gabrielle" is just a cheap cash machine not worthy to wear the Chanel tag.

Popular Fragrances