Chanel Gabrielle

2.7

on 9/7/2017 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

My husband, who complains incessantly about perfume, COMPLIMENTS Gabrielle. He loves this one! After trying this on skin from a tester, then carrying around for a day a paper strip generously soaked with Gabrielle, I didn't buy it. I thought I couldn't smell it. I thought it seemed slightly weak and slightly generic. I woke up this morning and noticed the most beautiful scent in the air. I followed my nose straight to the test strip that was still in my bag. Then when I was dressing, that glorious aroma wafted from my hamper...yesterday's clothing had absorbed the fragrance when I'd sprayed it on my arms. I don't know what happened, but overnight this magically transformed into what I'd hoped it would be. Give this one some time! And don't try to find the fragrance....let it come to you. I swear this is engineered in some special way that when you "try" to smell it, it is vague, but then when you're not thinking about it, you "sense" it... like another part of the brain is tapping into the nasal passages. Two other fragrances that have this ultra-light, sheer, haunting quality are No. 5 L'eau and Florabotanica. After one test I'm thinking the new Gucci Bloom has this quality as well, and it fascinates me. So an hour ago I bought a bottle of Gabrielle and happily doused myself with it, in my car. You know how spraying fragrance in your car, with windows closed, is generally a bad idea? (I think I have brain stem burns from my sister and Angel). Gabrielle is like a soft, warm wind. There's no sharpness, and no overwhelming assault of fragrance chemicals and alcohol. I am in Phoenix, and it is 103 degrees as I sit here writing this. Gabrielle smells magical in a hot car, and ethereal as the air conditioning kicks in. I feel like scent is glowing from me, but if I sniff my arms, I don't detect any concentration of notes. In fact, Gabrielle smells much more nuanced and interesting when my nose is far from my arms. The fragrance softly floats in the air and its personality is revealed in layers. There is definitely a memory of Coco Mlle here, and a tiny hint here and there of No. 5 l'eau, but overall Gabrielle does come across as an imaginary flower. I am so used to aldehydes and patchouli in Chanels that I'm tempted to think this doesn't seem like a Chanel...and then it suddenly calls to mind other Chanels. It's incredible! Don't abandon Gabrielle too quickly. Give her some time to become the modern, interesting and lovely fragrance that she can be.

on 9/16/2017 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Beautiful packaging -- the bottle is gorgeous -- but the perfume is a real disappointment, especially at the $105 price tag. Has barely any sillage. It was gone within the first thirty minutes of applying, no lasting smell, no trace at all. Gabrielle is an ideal work fragrance: it will offend no one, but also has no personality or distinctiveness.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Was very disappointed. Not a classic Chanel scent. It smells like a weak flowery toilet spray. I love all chanel makeup and most of their scents. If I feel that its just not for me I would say, but really this is just wrong.

It also has absolutely 0 lasting power - 1 or 2 hours max. Coco on the other hand lasts all day and the next morning until I shower.

on 10/17/2017 9:57:00 AM

What a bust! I was eagerly awaiting this thinking it's going to be great and it's anything but. It's not a nice scent in any way and it lasts only for about 1 hour making it seem like it's a cheap drugstore scent rather than a high end product. Not recommended.

on 9/9/2017 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

For me one of the best Chanel fragrances. I remember my mom wearing No. 5 when I was a kid. I always wanted to be able to enjoy a Chanel fragrance but, none ever did anything for me. This one is really great. Pricey but, worth it.

on 10/27/2017 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Initially when I heard Chanel was finally releasing a new pillar fragrance, I was excited. At first I found it to be fairly linear and pretty. Now that I have had time to spend with the fragrance, I really just find it to be kind of dull and boring. I'm not sure what I was hoping for, but this is a fairly basic floral scent. If you like floral scents, you may love this. For me, it doesn't seem very exciting and isn't long lasting. I guess we will wait for the inevitable flankers and see if that reveals anything more interesting than this.

on 11/7/2017 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My first and all time favorite from Chanel has always been Coco. Yes I have #5 too but it has always taken a back burner to Coco. Now enters Gabrielle. I just had to have the large bottle! I got a generous sample and used it sparingly until I could buy a bottle. Chanel did put the price up there for this perfume but it is so worth it for me. I do not understand all the negative reviews here on MUA but to each their own. I find this fragrance last a very long time on myself and when I told the sales Rep. about the reviews here and how so many say they cannot smell it after a couple of hours, she said that it last a really long time on herself too. I used the last of my sample last evening a few hours before bed and the beautiful scent is still lingering on my skin and clothes at 10:00 A.M. this morning. The notes are listed as exotic jasmine with the fruity green notes of ylang-ylang, while fresh and sparkling orange blossom shines through, offering a glimpse of Grasse tuberose. The ad goes on to say, before creating the House of CHANEL, Coco was Gabrielle. A rebel at heart, passionate and free. So I take this to mean that the lady Coco Chanel's real name was Gabrielle? This is a feminine scent that is very rich from the first spray to the dry down. The bottle is not that impressive to my style but rather pretty much like the other Chanel bottles like Coco and #5. The scent is what I just had to have in my collection, just so beautiful.

on 10/29/2017 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I love Chanel fragrances and I'm surprised by the other reviews. That said, everyone seems to like Chance and Coco Mdme and I find THOSE to be boring and uninspired. Coco is my forever scent ... second would be Coromandel and down the line with Allure, No. 5, No. 22, Boy, and Cristalle. Anyhow, I love Gabrielle. I've had it since release so waited this long to review. This does last on my skin, unlike many fragrances. As I tend towards orientals, this is my favorite all-out feminine scent. The bottle is gorgeous (though I don't buy based on packaging!). Somehow I feel this one came out the gate with people not wanting to like it.... if you like Chanel fragrances, give this a try... get a sample... I still have the tester card from pre-launch in my purse and it still smells divine. It's still too early to say but I actually think this one will land as my #2 fave Chanel fragrance just after Coco. It's that good.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm soo surprised at these reviews. Yes, its not the longest lasting fragrance but it smells soo good. Not very sweet but a sparkling floral. The bottle is gorgeous, just wish the 1.7oz looked more substantial in size. It looks like a deluxe mini, so jump for the 3.4oz if its a gift.

on 9/26/2017 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Fragrance only lasted a about 2 hours but did like the scent.
This would be a nice spring/summer scent.

Popular Fragrances