Chanel Gabrielle

Chanel Gabrielle

2.6

glad I didn’t buy it.. my name is Gabrielle. I’m disappointed.

on 12/25/2017 11:48:00 PM

I love the scent, and longevity is not a problem for me. It is radiant and lovely on my skin.

Now, it took me a few tries to get it. Was not love at first sniff. I was disappointed the first time, definitely had Expectations and first try barely registered as "eh" ... so I get why others aren't feeling the love.

It wasn't until a month or so later that I walked through a Nordstrom and someone had recently sprayed Gabrielle that the love hit me.

Gabrielle would work with shorts and tank top just as well as a dress and heels. I wear it to bed, it's just so pretty. I bet it's gorgeous in the summertime.

I don't buy the "rebel" promo material, so I ignore it. The tv and print advertisement does not match my experience of wearing the scent. I mean, it's white flowers. Nobody's rebelling here.
A commercial more in line with Charlize Theron and J'Adore, or Natalie Portman in Miss Dior would match better.

The bottle is cool looking in ads, but not as impressive in person.

on 12/18/2017 9:16:00 PM

I don't get all these horrible reviews. While this is certainly not the greatest fragrance ever made, it also doesn't deserve a measly 2.5 lippies. It's a pleasant, classy perfume suitable for every setting. Pity it only lasts a couple of hours and then fades.

on 12/18/2017 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Thirty years ago, as a teenager who wanted to be sophisticated and chic, I wore Chanel No. 5 because what could be more chic than Chanel? Next I wore Chanel’s Coco. I loved, loved, loved that perfume. It was probably a bit “mature” for me at the time, but it was the start of my love for Oriental fragrances. I was also fascinated by the story of an ambitious orphan, Gabrielle Chanel, rising from humble beginnings to being THE arbiter of style.

To say that I was intrigued by a new Chanel fragrance, the first in 15 years, to be named Gabrielle would be an understatement. I saw several magazine articles describing this new perfume and thought that I might be wearing Chanel again. After all these years, I still want to smell sophisticated and chic. I read that this fragrance was “quiet” and it was based on four white flowers: jasmine, ylang-ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. I enjoy all of those flowers in perfumes. I liked the golden glow of the print ad. It sounded like Gabrielle would make a great everyday fragrance; that it would be pretty, but allow the wearer to be the one to shine.

I went to the perfume counter at a high end department store and their display of Chanel bottles was gorgeous. I picked up the bottle of Gabrielle and admired the elegant simplicity of the glass. The magic unfortunately ended there for me. I find Gabrielle to be long lasting on my dry skin. But the fragrance never became the luminous perfume I hoped it would be. I had imagined Gabrielle might be a really pretty perfume like Jour d’Hermes, which is also based on white flowers. There is the essence of something lovely at its heart, but for me it never took flight. For the first time, a Chanel fragrance ended up smelling like acrid hairspray on me.

I had not smelled this before I bought it on Chanel's website. I was fully expecting to like it. The first thing I thought when I first sprayed it was that it smelled like bug spray. Really a disappointment! I am not sure if I want to bother returning it.

To be honest all I have to say about this is that the grand Mademoiselle herself, Gabrielle Coco Chanel, would NOT approve of this shrinking violet of a perfume. It's totally unworthy of having the Chanel logo on it as far as I'm concerned...

Bland, boring, generic, vapid, girly etc all the things that Chanel utterly detested and never stood for. This is maybe alright for a 17 year old girl who isn't ready for a real Chanel fragrance yet but quite frankly she probably doesn't have the $130 to spend on a fragrance anyways. And don't get me started on the cringeable promo ads with Kristen Stewart.

SUCH A DISAPPOINTMENT.

on 11/20/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I get artificial flowery-fruity notes, citrus and grapefruit, mandarine and more melon and peach than tuberose and Jasmin.
It's perfect for office use since it is very nondescript, run of the mill and weak. Nobody would be offended by it
There are better drugstore perfumes for a fraction of the cost of this one. Very disappointing.

on 11/7/2017 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

My first and all time favorite from Chanel has always been Coco. Yes I have #5 too but it has always taken a back burner to Coco. Now enters Gabrielle. I just had to have the large bottle! I got a generous sample and used it sparingly until I could buy a bottle. Chanel did put the price up there for this perfume but it is so worth it for me. I do not understand all the negative reviews here on MUA but to each their own. I find this fragrance last a very long time on myself and when I told the sales Rep. about the reviews here and how so many say they cannot smell it after a couple of hours, she said that it last a really long time on herself too. I used the last of my sample last evening a few hours before bed and the beautiful scent is still lingering on my skin and clothes at 10:00 A.M. this morning. The notes are listed as exotic jasmine with the fruity green notes of ylang-ylang, while fresh and sparkling orange blossom shines through, offering a glimpse of Grasse tuberose. The ad goes on to say, before creating the House of CHANEL, Coco was Gabrielle. A rebel at heart, passionate and free. So I take this to mean that the lady Coco Chanel's real name was Gabrielle? This is a feminine scent that is very rich from the first spray to the dry down. The bottle is not that impressive to my style but rather pretty much like the other Chanel bottles like Coco and #5. The scent is what I just had to have in my collection, just so beautiful.

on 10/30/2017 6:22:00 PM

I liked this at first, but after a few minutes it becomes overpowering.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I love Chanel fragrances and I'm surprised by the other reviews. That said, everyone seems to like Chance and Coco Mdme and I find THOSE to be boring and uninspired. Coco is my forever scent ... second would be Coromandel and down the line with Allure, No. 5, No. 22, Boy, and Cristalle. Anyhow, I love Gabrielle. I've had it since release so waited this long to review. This does last on my skin, unlike many fragrances. As I tend towards orientals, this is my favorite all-out feminine scent. The bottle is gorgeous (though I don't buy based on packaging!). Somehow I feel this one came out the gate with people not wanting to like it.... if you like Chanel fragrances, give this a try... get a sample... I still have the tester card from pre-launch in my purse and it still smells divine. It's still too early to say but I actually think this one will land as my #2 fave Chanel fragrance just after Coco. It's that good.

Popular Fragrances